Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
What is a “coal roller”?

I’ve never heard that term.
when a diesel engine has been modified or programmed in some way to dump much more fuel than needed into the engine, it will smoke thick black smoke much like the early steam locomotives used to. Thus, Rolling Coal...
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1 View Post
when a diesel engine has been modified or programmed in some way to dump much more fuel than needed into the engine, it will smoke thick black smoke much like the early steam locomotives used to. Thus, Rolling Coal...
Call ip Diesel Brothers and ask if they'll modify a truck to roll coal for you.

They got dinged an $848,000 fine for doing it. Worse yet they gave the prosecution all the evidence with their youtube videos.

Another shop in Alpine, CA got fined recently for millions if I recall correctly.

Rolling coal may lose it's popularity soon as it's going to be REAL EXPENSIVE.

Update. Shop was PDI in Alpine and they settled for $1,100,000 due to their inability to pay a higher fine based on number of violations os Clean Air Act.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #43
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
i tend to agree to a point...

I am a gear head through and through, at the campground i am seasonal at, i do have the loudest vehicles out of anyone (especially the viper).

That being said, i try my hardest not to run a car between 8pm and 9am. And when i do run a car i idle my way through camp as quietly and quickly as possible.

Same thing i do in my neighborhood at home when i drive one of my loud cars to work in the morning.
Me, too. I'll confess to being one of those "red necks" & even after well over 60 years of driving, I can't resist "performance exhaust" on my truck. Like you, too, I try to have a bit of empathy for those who I might disturb by not driving around the CG during "quiet hours" and idling out/in when a trip is necessary.
14apex is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #44
Site Team

MOD Note: Several posts have been removed as they violate site rules. This discussion has come up many times in the past and the thread is generally closed as it drifts into topics that disrupt the forum.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #45
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
<SNIP>They get out, walk away, and you see them with their arm up in the air, pointing their key fob toward the vehicle (I dont think that helps, by the way...)<SNIP>
Put the FOB on your neck/chin and you can increase the range.

I actually turn off the beeps on my vehicles because they're annoying to me. There's typically a setting for that on many vehicles.

I sometimes do that for a remote start on cold days.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Put the FOB on your neck/chin and you can increase the range.

I actually turn off the beeps on my vehicles because they're annoying to me. There's typically a setting for that on many vehicles.

I sometimes do that for a remote start on cold days.
For many vehicles turning off the horn beep is as simple as holding one of the fob buttons.

The occasional " chirp" isn't as annoying as the panic alarm that goes off because someone opened the door wrong. Seems to happen when the key fob isn't close by.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #47
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
When Did We Become Our Parents?
There comes a time in everyone's life when they realize....parents were right all along!
NJKris is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
All of what's been noted in the previous posts exists in Alaska. It is to be expected. Our camping season at best is 3 months long. During our camping season the sun is out just about all of a calendar day. Many Sport Fishing and Subsistence Fishing seasons coincide with camping. Alaskans get out in the summertime. It is not uncommon, in State Parks or on BLM Lands, to have boats being launched 24/7, or Float Planes shuttling fishermen onto the lakes all hours of the day. Folks who purchase "day use" passes have until 10 PM to vacate the parks and they use every hour they can. They are allowed to return to start a new day at 7:30 AM. Is it noisy? Yes it is!, but it's the nature of the beast. You get used to it. Probably not the place you want to be if you go to bed early or want to sleep late. There are private CG's better suited for this.
And of course there's camping on the Kenai Peninsula during July 4 weekend.

All you said and MORE.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 PM   #49
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by momraising5boyz View Post
The last trip we pulled in on a Tuesday morning, the day after memorial day. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Friday rig after rig pulled in and gone was the silence. Loud trucks, music of ALL genres, dogs barking, kids squealing, loud laughter, doors banging, horns honking, lots of smoke and everything else that goes with lots of people of all shapes, sizes, race and belief. My first thought was there goes the peace and quiet and I could have kept that mind set but instead I chose to meet and make new friends of all ages. Life is way too short to let little things get in the way.

That's where this comes in. This is my first year with the camper and learning what limitations I have to work with before leaving the packs behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tent-3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	257626  
Old 06-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #50
Open Space Wanted

No Thanks

And they say it was better in the good ol' days.

Old 06-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #51

By the look of those pictures, it looks like it was better in the old days ��
Old 06-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #52

Seems without the weight police on the internet you could tow much more with less.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
One of the many advantages of being retired. Wife and I avoid best as we can the busy places on Saturday and Sunday
An advantage indeed, even in booking a reservation. Depends much on the CG management, a few are known as party parks with unenforced rules. More apt to experience on a weekend , an exception not a rule. Rarely seen this myself, but at least one park we will not return to.
Freetyme is offline   Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 06:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Corners View Post
By the look of those pictures, it looks like it was better in the old days ��
And the vehicles in the old days cost less along with moreingrained courtesy in society.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Their behavior ain't gonna change so we make every attempt to stay away from these redneck campgrounds.

-- Chuck
How can you tell these campgrounds are redneck?

Do they actually have rednecks?
Oh wait I bet it's their white socks.
Or is the the biggest sign the Blue Ribbon Beer?
nvs4602 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #56

I would just like to say I agree. It is worse for those of us who live in quiet rural areas. When we hit a campground with loud vehicles it is something we haven't adapted to.
bbells is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #57

I’m with the “why do you need to idle the diesel all morning” crowd as well as the “noise past midnight is a bit much” crowd. I also have a louder than stock motorcycle for a reason. Motorcycles are hard to notice on the road. Unless you have ever ridden one you don’t realize how much people pull out in front of, drive into the lane of, or come right at one while passing. It’s an experience like no other. Any bit of NOTICE ME is good for safety, that includes loud pipes, riding near the line in the center of the road, etc. There is also no reason to excessively idle or rev a motorcycle in a campground. I don’t want people to notice me because I think noisy pipes are cool, especially in a campground

My biggest gripe in a campground is not noise though, it’s light pollution. I like it dark, light by the fire, stars in full view. Some love their lights and don’t care how much they light up another’s area. It’s quite ignorant.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #58

Selective enforcement

Loud pipes on bikes or trucks is a cry for attention. These guys drive around looking to see who is looking at them. Law enforcement does little to nothing to enforce noise laws that exist on the books but are ignored. Same as the distracted driving laws. Lots of officers drive around looking at their phones or their mobile computers. Then they go home and get on their loud motorcycles or in their loud trucks. It’s no use to complain.
jimbo1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
I’m with the “why do you need to idle the diesel all morning” crowd as well as the “noise past midnight is a bit much” crowd. I also have a louder than stock motorcycle for a reason. Motorcycles are hard to notice on the road. Unless you have ever ridden one you don’t realize how much people pull out in front of, drive into the lane of, or come right at one while passing. It’s an experience like no other. Any bit of NOTICE ME is good for safety, that includes loud pipes, riding near the line in the center of the road, etc. There is also no reason to excessively idle or rev a motorcycle in a campground. I don’t want people to notice me because I think noisy pipes are cool, especially in a campground

My biggest gripe in a campground is not noise though, it’s light pollution. I like it dark, light by the fire, stars in full view. Some love their lights and don’t care how much they light up another’s area. It’s quite ignorant.
Every study on the subject has proven loud motorcycles are more dangerous than quieter ones. Loud bikes being safer is a myth.
bbells is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:28 PM   #60

Hilarious to read through this thread. I’ve found that if someone is getting on my nerves at the campsite a little friendly conversation and introduction helps a bunch. Over the years we’ve learned that some campgrounds are best avoided if they cater to activities for kids and lots of amenities. We’ve gravitated to those campgrounds frequented by folks our age and who are more reserved and quiet. I do tow with a deleted diesel but am very careful when starting and moving through the campgrounds and we don’t move much once we get set. Let’s just all get along and enjoy the great outdoors together!
reevesfamily is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg, noise