Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #81

Noisey

I still find most people out there respectful and I haven’t been anywhere that wasn’t quiet by 9:30-10pm. I pull my fifth wheel with a 2003 Duramax that is not that quiet when compared to the newer diesels but I don’t have straight pipes or drive aggressive with it and I wouldn’t consider getting anything different because it runs and drives excellent.
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
I’ll quit idling when you put a muffler on your bike. It’s only loud to the people you have already passed.
That makes no sense.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree…there are no studies that I’m aware of that confirm “loud pipes save lives”.
Impossible to collect statistics on saved lives, doesn’t mean it doesn’t save lives.

https://www.westendmotorsports.com/b...do-save-lives/

I’m done with this now that we need a “study” for common sense.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 11:56 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I’m right there with you on this!
xxxxx2
jkierl is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 06:44 AM   #85

Noisy People in general

Nothing new here. Bratty Children scream and make noise to draw attention to themselves with " themselves " being the key word. Twin Turbo straight pipe narcists.
dsmiths is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Impossible to collect statistics on saved lives, doesn’t mean it doesn’t save lives.

https://www.westendmotorsports.com/b...do-save-lives/

I’m done with this now that we need a “study” for common sense.
An article from a typical Harley dealership.
Now we have a distracted driver looking for where the noise is coming from.
gw1800 is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #87

Some parks have rules on how loud your generator can be, I guess this could be used to restrict loud cars,trucks and motorcycles.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #88
lmopaulin

I so agree! Vehicle noise has increased but so have music and TV chatter. Not trying to offend any of you who have the outdoor entertainment setups, but the more irresponsible owners have no compunction about blasting their music and TV shows, PARTICULARLY sports (and I'm a football junkie)! And I have heard, and on Facebook, read people b****ing about being asked to quiet down after curfew. Blows my mind. It's really hard to find quiet. I'll keep researching to find quiet campgrounds but am realistic enough to realize that things have and continue to change. And what's a campground owner to do and survive? Be strong, my friends.
Lmopaulin is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #89

That’s why Lake Colorado City state Park is one of my favorites, between drought and golden algae blooms. Fishing is not a real option, not real trees for shade. Results in so few people using.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #90

Send a message via AIM to B and B
They have those hearing aid informercials on weekend mornings for a reason! I have worked in an industry for 41 years I need my hearing for to be successful. Loud camping or bright camping is not a place to relax for us. Electric and 250 ft of water hose gets us what we need. Turd trolley to take away what we don't. The provincial parks is no excessive noise at anytime zone. A $200 fine for those inconsiderate types. DIRTY dusty roads really play havoc with loud pipes and chrome.
B and B is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #91

My wife & I try to be as respectful as possible in whatever campground or RV park we staying at, and not much triggers us (other than constantly barking dogs). It's only happened a couple of times but we've experienced other's grumbling just because we usually have a motorcycle with us.

The best one was one time when I unloaded the bike from the back of the 5th wheel and the neighbors in the next site were already talking (very loudly so I could hear) that if we were too loud they would need to move. Not sure if they were grumbling because they were concerned how loud the bike was going to be or if they thought us bikers were just going to party into the wee hours of the morning. Benefit of the doubt, but I guess they had a bad experience at some point.
HD Limited
Concours is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #92
Trailer Park Supervisor

Younger bikers don't exactly have reputations for being quiet! Now if you pulled off your brain buckets and they saw your hair was silver and they still had that immediate impression, then that would be strange! The mature bikers have never been an issue in my experience.
NJKris is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #93

I drive cars/trucks and also ride motorcycles (including Harley's)

as a rider I realized its up to me to make sure I am scene. IE not riding in blind spots, watching and predicting every move of every car, etc.

When driving a car/truck, I am still biker, always looking for riders.
When you pass me it really makes a difference if you have your headlight on (required by law since around 77); I see you in my mirrors as you disappear into my blind spots, but I don't hear you until they are up next to me no matter how loud the pipes are. Try it next time your driving your truck and see for yourself. Wearing something bright and not dark pirate cloths also helps.

But exhaust sound is always behind you. it has to do with direction of movement, speed, direction of exhaust and doppler effect.

its complacency that kills the rider. My exhaust on every bike I own is stock
TowPro is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
This one made me chuckle. I dont get too bent out of shape about loud groups at the campfire, even after quiet hours (within reason, 3 hours beyond that noise cut off is a little much). Music doesnt bother me much (though I do think it is a bit presumptuous for them to think they know what type of music the rest of the campground likes to hear, lol). Kids at the playground will be kids at the playground (or pool). But one thing that absolutely drives me bonkers are the honks from locking a vehicle. Once will flash the lights. Ok, maybe you cant see the lights because there isnt a direct line of sight, so the second one gives a honk. Got it. No need for more than one honk. But hearing it honk 5, 6, 8 times???? Even walking through a parking lot at the grocery store, and hearing someone do it over and over and over. I just look at my wife and roll my eyes, and she laughs cuz she knows it drives me insane because it is beyond stoooopid. Sometimes you catch a glimpse of the honker. They get out, walk away, and you see them with their arm up in the air, pointing their key fob toward the vehicle (I dont think that helps, by the way...) and just pressing it over and over and over and over and over, as they walk away not even looking. Oh well, what can you do. It has shifted from irrational anger to laughter because of its absurdity. So at least there is that, lol.
I do this to some degree (no horn though) but it's not because I don't trust that it locked. It's because I have OCD and can't trust my brain that I followed through and wasn't distracted for that brief second that I pushed the button. I do the same thing with a keyed lock on a door. Being easily distracted and doing repetitive things are difficult to do without double, triple and sometimes quadruple checking yourself. Sorry...
Old 06-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmopaulin View Post
I so agree! Vehicle noise has increased but so have music and TV chatter. Not trying to offend any of you who have the outdoor entertainment setups, but the more irresponsible owners have no compunction about blasting their music and TV shows, PARTICULARLY sports (and I'm a football junkie)! And I have heard, and on Facebook, read people b****ing about being asked to quiet down after curfew. Blows my mind. It's really hard to find quiet. I'll keep researching to find quiet campgrounds but am realistic enough to realize that things have and continue to change. And what's a campground owner to do and survive? Be strong, my friends.

A good solution to the outside entertainment system is to grab your universal remote and program it for their system, now you can just turn it off without them even realizing why.
Or if you are particularly aggravated turn up their volume until they are “noticed” and told to turn it off
Daxinarian is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
A good solution to the outside entertainment system is to grab your universal remote and program it for their system, now you can just turn it off without them even realizing why.
Or if you are particularly aggravated turn up their volume until they are “noticed” and told to turn it off

Great idea!!
But instead of playing with the volume, changing channels to cartoons sounds even more fun.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #97
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
I’m with the “why do you need to idle the diesel all morning” crowd as well as the “noise past midnight is a bit much” crowd. I also have a louder than stock motorcycle for a reason. Motorcycles are hard to notice on the road. Unless you have ever ridden one you don’t realize how much people pull out in front of, drive into the lane of, or come right at one while passing. It’s an experience like no other. Any bit of NOTICE ME is good for safety, that includes loud pipes, riding near the line in the center of the road, etc. There is also no reason to excessively idle or rev a motorcycle in a campground. I don’t want people to notice me because I think noisy pipes are cool, especially in a campground

My biggest gripe in a campground is not noise though, it’s light pollution. I like it dark, light by the fire, stars in full view. Some love their lights and don’t care how much they light up another’s area. It’s quite ignorant.
A couple years ago a group of 5 campers were across from us for the weekend. They set up 4 of those double halogen work lights so they and everyone else could see what was going on. On top of that, the first night two of them had tuned diesel dualies with loud pipes idling with the high beams on, doors open and radios blaring. They both had been there all afternoon so it wasn't that they needed to set up in the dark. The only good thing out of it was the radios were tuned to the same station.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Halogen Worklight Stand.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	258101  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #98
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Seems without the weight police on the internet you could tow much more with less.
Back in the day it was unheard of to tow a TT with a pick-up truck. They were towed with full size family sedans with steel frames and big V8 motors.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerMade View Post
It may just be me but has anyone noticed that campgrounds are getting noisier. I don't mean families and kids...Trucks. This is NOT intended to offend our friends with stock engines, especially those with diesel. I am talking about those who have installed "cherry bombs" etc or anything else that increases the sound and roar of their engines. Was out this past week and at 7:30 several went past my site and "kicked" them in and it would have awakened the dead which I was not. A little courtesy with these would be appreciated.
Don't want to upset all you pet owners out there but my wife and I have been camping for about 25 years and what we have noticed over the past 5 years give or take is the increase in dogs at campsites compared to 25 years ago. Don't have a problem with dogs but all you hear anymore is dogs barking. Kind of annoying if you ask me.
rmastel is offline   Reply
Old 06-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmopaulin View Post
What you "say" is indicative of our society today.

"Curfew", "Quiet Time", "Speed Limits", all are pretty much ignored by an increasing number of people today. Once upon a time if you checked into a Hotel, Motel, Campground (public or private), and ignored the noise rules, you got booted out on your rear end (with no refunds).

Today nobody wants to enforce any rules that might lead to any disagreements. Loud Campers? Unless they start to fight and someone might get hurt, no enforcement. Other campers don't complain because "they don't want to get involved".

This has been going on for a long time and not just in camping. I'll wager the same thing happens in urban neighborhoods with summer parties. Noise gets too loud, a neighbor calls the police, police come, party gets quiet for 30 minutes and then back up goes the volume.

Drive down the highway at the posted speed and get passed by others like you're standing still. Some of the vehicles passing you are also police vehicles that are not on an emergency call, "just going with the flow so to speak".

Our society has become one where "rules" can be followed selectively with little or no penalty so why should we be surprised when campgrounds get louder? "Manners" are not "statutes" or "Ordinances but common sense should dictate that they play a roll in a "friendly society". Only one word to this last------Hah!

Only thing each of us can do is follow our common sense and hope that eventually the offenders will someday GROW UP.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg, noise