Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
TEH721, sorry for your mishap. In the picture you posted it looks like the TV is mounted in the cabover area right over the driver's seat. None of the floorplans or pictures online for the Sunseeker 3010DS have the TV in that location and it doesn't make any sense that it would be there. On the 2017s and earlier it was located over the counter on the other side of the entrance and in a slightly recessed cabinet with prop up lifts on either side to access the space behind the TV.

Did they change something mid-year or is there some kind of illusion with your picture?
Option of 42 inch TV and cabinets is listed on floorplan.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEH721 View Post
Flew cross country to pick up my new 2018 sunseeker 3010ds on Monday, yesterday while driving it back home after just passing heavy traffic in St. Louis, the 42" tv fell off the mount above the cab in the entertainment center, swung down and cracked me in the back of the head. Thankfully I managed to remain conscious and got the motor home over to the side of the road without being hit.

Upon checking out how this could have happened, I noticed the bolts holding the tv in didn't have a lick of lock tight on the threads. I really can't believe that after only 1100 miles that something like this could happen.

Had to park for the night due to concussion concerns after getting checked out, thankfully I've now been cleared to head out, but Forest River will be contacted to tell them about this, I could have easily been knocked unconscious and been killed in the resulting accident.

believe than ANY problems with RVs that is safety related should be reported to the NHTSA. I have their app, safercar on my phone.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #23
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
Option of 42 inch TV and cabinets is listed on floorplan.

Frank
Thanks. That's definitely not an option I would have wanted. The viewing angle from the sofa or optional recliners is 90 deg and up high.

Not a good place to screw up on mounting the TV!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #24

Hey everyone, sorry for not getting back to my post for so long. I've been asking my time driving cross country and visiting family along the way.

Thanks to everyone who sent me private messages and concern, it is definitely much appreciated.

I'm not a litigious person, so I don't plan to contact a lawyer about this, but definitely plan to contact Forest River on Monday to at least make them aware of the problem and to get the TV replaced. I tested the TV and it appears to work, but I'm concerned that hanging like it did from the antenna and hdmi cables could have cracked or weakened something that might fail prematurely after the warranty is up.

Other than the tv incident, the rest of my trip has been fantastic, camper has already logged 2100 miles so I'll be doing an oil change next weekend before taking it out on its next road trip.

-TEH721
TEH721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #25

Hi Itat, I actually ended up picking that option by mistake when going through the options I picked with the wholesaler, I wasn't aware that the normal TV mounting across from the couch was standard and ended up accidentally picking the very odd mounting of the TV 90 degrees left of the couch.

When I picked up the motorhome we were really surprised to find they hadn't mounted it on any kind of swing arm, and also concerned that there was no way to get behind the TV to service/replace cables or anything because of the way they had trimmed in the TV unless we removed the entire cabinet system. Perhaps the TV falling out was a blessing in disguise because now I don't have to tear everything apart to mount it properly.

Cheers!
TEH721
Old 05-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #26

Glad to read your OK and doing well !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #27

I'm wondering if the television was actually installed at the factory or during the PDI by the dealer. Usually, the television is still in the box when it arrives at the dealer. Most dealers don't want them to be pre-installed due to the high risk of theft of televisions from units on dealers' lots. The dealer usually takes them out and stores them inside their building until just before the unit is to be picked up... reduces the window of their vulnerability.

Case in point, mine was still in the box and I arrived early enough that they had to get it out of the storage room to install. I custom-ordered the unit and it arrived just a few days earlier - not a unit that had been sitting on the lot. Came in handy to have the box when I had to exchange it a week later because it had a stuck pixel column.

My point is that the poor installation may have been the fault of the delivering dealer, possibly made worse by their unfamiliarity with this unusual placement option.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 AM   #28

Thanks Dave, thats really good info to know. I've got a call in to FR but they havent responded all day. Would have at least been nice to have received a call from them stating the same info.

Thanks,
TEH721
Old 05-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #29

I would Sue if it were me!
Forest River workmanship & especially a lack of Decent Customer Service has gotten out of hand.
We've had Cabinet Doors come off after only 200 miles of travel. No one would even answer the phone are return a message.
wbduckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #30

Happy Resolution

Received a phone call from Forest River today, very apologetic for what happened. We talked for a while about the configuration and about how using locktite or lock washers and/or some kind of safety restraining strap might be implemented in the future.

They are also shipping a replacement TV directly to my house as a precaution against internal damage to the old TV that might not be visible at this time.

Overall I am very pleased with the response from Forest River and their support of standing behind their customers. This was an unfortunate oversight that thankfully ended ok.

I'm still thrilled with my new Sunseeker and cant wait for the next trip!

-TEH721
Old 05-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Received a phone call from Forest River today, very apologetic for what happened. We talked for a while about the configuration and about how using locktite or lock washers and/or some kind of safety restraining strap might be implemented in the future.

They are also shipping a replacement TV directly to my house as a precaution against internal damage to the old TV that might not be visible at this time.

Overall I am very pleased with the response from Forest River and their support of standing behind their customers. This was an unfortunate oversight that thankfully ended ok.

-TEH721
Thanks for the reply with the outcome.

It's refreshing to see (read) of folks who've had problems but are patient enough to find an amicable outcome without getting all in a huff.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
Scoundrel

Teh721, Glad you're ok and moving forward. It is possible that the HDMI cables have been damaged as a result of the TV falling out of place. Compromised HDMI cables may not manifest themselves right away. You might consider replacing those cables, and maybe the antenna cable as well.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #33

Glad you got a response.
I've ben waiting for a response fro F.R. for 2 months now. Brand New Cedar Creek 36 CKTS & it's falling apart every mile I pull it.

Still, NO help.
wbduckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #34

Sorry to hear that duckman, have you tried Kelly Ware at Forest River? I used the contact us section of the website (Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.) to reach the Sunseeker service rep, who passed my contact info to the service rep (Travis) that reached out to me.

Hope things work out better for you soon!

-TEH721
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbduckman View Post
Glad you got a response.
I've ben waiting for a response fro F.R. for 2 months now. Brand New Cedar Creek 36 CKTS & it's falling apart every mile I pull it.

Still, NO help.
We'd be interested in knowing who you contacted at FR.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #36

Fix my Tele

Quote:

-TEH721
This would have been the perfect time to ask FR to put the new TV where you wanted it in the first place and explain that you aren't confident with the TV mounted over your head again...
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #37

Quote:
When I picked up the motorhome we were really surprised to find they hadn't mounted it on any kind of swing arm, and also concerned that there was no way to get behind the TV to service/replace cables or anything because of the way they had trimmed in the TV unless we removed the entire cabinet system. Perhaps the TV falling out was a blessing in disguise because now I don't have to tear everything apart to mount it properly.
TEH721
TEH721, very glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt and I hope you haven't had any late-arriving problems from this incident.

We have this entertainment center also and have been trying to figure out how to remove the TV to get to the cables. Since you have had an up close (TOO up close!) and personal view of the TV and the mount, I have a question for you. The TV was screwed to the 2 metal braces from the back / inside of the area behind the TV? There is no way to remove the TV from the front?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #38

If you have a TV mounted on a cabinet door that too can fall. We have a bedroom TV like that and before the RV even hit the 2k mile mark we heard a door open and partially rip off as we were driving. The cabinet door latch is crap so the door opened on its own. The weight of the TV and a good bump in the road made the door it was attached to rip a hinge right out of the door frame.

I replaced the hinge screws with longer beefier screws. Then I got rid of the crappy thing they call a latch and replaced it. Ironically, the other (non-weight bearing) cabinet doors were hard to open because those latches were better made and 2 of them on each. So I removed 1 from each door and used them on the door that held the TV. 2 birds with one stone.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote