Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Not a very good start

Flew cross country to pick up my new 2018 sunseeker 3010ds on Monday, yesterday while driving it back home after just passing heavy traffic in St. Louis, the 42" tv fell off the mount above the cab in the entertainment center, swung down and cracked me in the back of the head. Thankfully I managed to remain conscious and got the motor home over to the side of the road without being hit.

Upon checking out how this could have happened, I noticed the bolts holding the tv in didn't have a lick of lock tight on the threads. I really can't believe that after only 1100 miles that something like this could happen.

Had to park for the night due to concussion concerns after getting checked out, thankfully I've now been cleared to head out, but Forest River will be contacted to tell them about this, I could have easily been knocked unconscious and been killed in the resulting accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	136739  
TEH721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Holy Cow! Thank goodness you are ok!!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

Wow! Glad there was no injury. That would have scared the crap out of me.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

I don't often say this, but I would really suggest you lawyer up. You have a decent case against Forest River. If you picked this thing up new and on the way home the TV feel and smacked you in the back of the head...holy crap.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Lawyer up? Seriously? wow, just wow.
EricE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #6

really not against forest river but the selling dealership for improper "PDI".. unless you signed off stating everything was in good working order. Now i'm no lawyer but it would not hurt consulting a lawyer to check and see if you have a case to protect your assets. this could of been catastrophic and thankfully it was not! good on you for keeping your wits about you and being able to control the rig.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Lawyer up? Seriously? wow, just wow.
Yes seriously..If anything getting checked out at an emergency room is not cheap..........But I am sure some on here will blame the purchaser for not checking it during the PDI, or the dealer, or the manufacturer of the TV or mount. That TV was not made by FR, it's a component.

Curious to see what FR has to say about It. Probably not a lot as it was most likely already read on here and FR lawyered up LOL.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
There is no way a owner would catch this during a PDI. The dealer would not check the secrets either. This is right on the assembly line. A direct call to FR is in order. The TV should be replaced as who knows what damage was caused with improper installation.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
There is no way a owner would catch this during a PDI. The dealer would not check the secrets either. This is right on the assembly line. A direct call to FR is in order. The TV should be replaced as who knows what damage was caused with improper installation.
After the head bashing the only show the TV probably shows when the OP turns it on is Dancing with the Stars.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

Any normal buyer should not have to assume that what is normally mounted on walls as standard are done incorrectly. It is standard in RVs to have TVs mounted and standard for them to be mounted correctly. If this is not the case then every 'walk through' would and should take weeks as the 'buyer' checks everything, large and small, in the unit.

FR should pay for the remount and pay the hospital bill. Give them that option first, because the first time you say, "you will hear from my lawyer", only their "lawyer" will talk to your "lawyer" and FR will not talk to you....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Yes seriously..If anything getting checked out at an emergency room is not cheap..........But I am sure some on here will blame the purchaser for not checking it during the PDI, or the dealer, or the manufacturer of the TV or mount. That TV was not made by FR, it's a component.
Exactly. Last ER visit we had (daughter tripped and fell) it cost me $1300 out of pocket. For 5 stitches. That was WITH insurance.

Who knows how much in the hole this guy is thanks to that smack in the head. An MRI can cost thousands, especially if its an emergency, like this.

This is a clear fault of someone on the FR assembly line not doing their job correctly. Why should TEH721 have to pay for their mistake?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

TV to the head

First, I am so sorry this happened to you. There is no excuse what so ever. Hopefully, there will be no after effects. That said, make sure you have a copy of the hospital records. Lots of pictures, close up and far away of the television and the space it occupied as well as detail shots of the brackets etc. Right now, write down every single thing you remember in the course of events. We all think we will certainly never forget something like this, you will not recall everything in detail in time. If possible, try to remember road conditions, weather, etc. Try to reconstruct a time line. You may never need that information but if you do, you will have it. Anyone who things the owner is responsible needs to re-consider their conclusion. There are absolute basics that have to be understood at the time of purchase. If that were not the case we all better get out there and remove the wheels, lift out that refrigerator and at the least lift those floor boards! No. This is an assembly line and quality control issue at the factory. Secondarily, the dealer needs to be involved because they may want to include an inspection of these items before PDI. Make your factory contacts first, get a person who has some authority to listen to your issue, get a name. Keep accurate records of date and time and name. Do not drop the "lawyer" word unless initial inquiry doesn't produce any answers. Price out the cost of a new TV, installation etc. Be prepared as best as possible for all arguments, be clear, concise and try not to show too much anger. Keeping the conversation civil will probably get you better results, of course, if that doesn't work lawyers and anger might. Best of luck, let us know.
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #13

Wow. So sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear you are okay. We had our TV fall out like that once, but it was our fault and thankfully no one was hit with it. It sure was scary. I can only imagine how awful it was for you to have it happen and get hit by it.

Take care,

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #14

Unconscious engineering and installation, you're supposed to live nearby and have a seasonal site. Thanks for model number, hope anybody who owns one of those high quality units checks their TV mounting assembly ASAP.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #15

Yes, I don't like to go this route, too. But you really have a case here. Sorry if I didn't see this in your OP, but Any witnesses? That should never happen. I'm sure they settle out of court. But glad you are ok.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Site Team

Ok, the site team is going to need to interject here, since this thread seems to be majority legal advice/talk. As per this sticky thread, we must shut down threads that go legal talk, as it most likely will come back on the member and us. Please post responsibly.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post665355

It's good to hear our fellow camper was not seriously hurt by this according to them, and hope it works out the best it can in the end.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Unconscious engineering and installation
That's a good one LMAO.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I don't often say this, but I would really suggest you lawyer up. You have a decent case against Forest River. If you picked this thing up new and on the way home the TV feel and smacked you in the back of the head...holy crap.
X2
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh721 View Post
flew cross country to pick up my new 2018 sunseeker 3010ds on monday, yesterday while driving it back home after just passing heavy traffic in st. Louis, the 42" tv fell off the mount above the cab in the entertainment center, swung down and cracked me in the back of the head. Thankfully i managed to remain conscious and got the motor home over to the side of the road without being hit.

Upon checking out how this could have happened, i noticed the bolts holding the tv in didn't have a lick of lock tight on the threads. I really can't believe that after only 1100 miles that something like this could happen.

Had to park for the night due to concussion concerns after getting checked out, thankfully i've now been cleared to head out, but forest river will be contacted to tell them about this, i could have easily been knocked unconscious and been killed in the resulting accident.
i just emailed f/r dynamax about there quality control [ lack off] we spend our hard earned money and expect some kind of quality. They need to have a real eye opening about quality control. Do not let them off the hook due what ever it takes.[ like a new r/v of your choice and a hand full of cash] thank the good lord you are still with us.
oldwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #20
Canadian Member

TEH721, sorry for your mishap. In the picture you posted it looks like the TV is mounted in the cabover area right over the driver's seat. None of the floorplans or pictures online for the Sunseeker 3010DS have the TV in that location and it doesn't make any sense that it would be there. On the 2017s and earlier it was located over the counter on the other side of the entrance and in a slightly recessed cabinet with prop up lifts on either side to access the space behind the TV.

Did they change something mid-year or is there some kind of illusion with your picture?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote