Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #21

Plenty of generating capacity as long as there is natural gas

The reason for Texas asking for conservation a few weeks ago was because of a fire at the second largest coal generating plant in North America located just outside Houston, Texas. The power scheduling authority ERCOT asked I believe 4 or 5 combustion turbine plants elsewhere in the state to forgo scheduled combustion maintenance to make up the difference.

Combustion turbine plants have major or minor combustion maintenance on a semi annual schedule. As you might imagine it's not a good idea to put off this maintenance and that's why, you guessed it, the plants they asked to forgo the maintenance had a couple of them go down as they were really needing that work done. If you know anyone with large rotating machinery experience that needs a job tell them to apply for work as a turbine mechanic. Many of the folks I worked with before I retired went on to work as consultants for GE, and Siemens as there is a USA and worldwide need for turbine maintenance crews. I worked on turbine and process computer controls and generator excitation systems and there are even less people competent to work on those systems. Fortunately I didn't need the money and was able to turn down the requests from companies asking for my services.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:23 PM   #22

Just north Vegas and it was over 100. I stayed in AC 99% of the time. Neighbor said but it’s a dry heat- no humidity. I reminded him there it’s no humidity in the microwave but it still cooks stuff.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:39 PM   #23

Winters in SW Florida AC going all the time in winter , Summer in the rocky mountains use heat the first month and the last month as snows are still flying and starting to fly in sept . In a few weeks am heading back to Florida where i need to be when they drop my unit off from the factory after some extensive warranty work . not really looking Forward to it and decided to brave a Florida Summer . must be getting senile and old and tired of driving across country with gas prices the way they are . Selling the TH out west where i am now and will be heading back to FL not towing . I snowed here a couple days ago.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
That's why we're reverse_snowbirds We go north in the summer to escape the oppressive summer heat. East Texas is like a tropical rainforest in the summer. And this spring has already been brutal in Houston. It's about 10 degrees hotter than normal with no rain but lots of humidity. Glad your ac is keeping you cool.
I am looking into doing the same thing, heading up north for the summer. Where do you suggest is a good location. I live in SE Louisiana.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
I am looking into doing the same thing, heading up north for the summer. Where do you suggest is a good location. I live in SE Louisiana.
Ha-Ha... come to the mountains of Pennsylvania!
It's only 46º here right now with a projected high of 55º.

But... supposed to be near 80º by the Holiday weekend.
You simply can't predict temperatures.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #26

hot

We were at Seattle someone saw my tags from Kansas and asked Me what summers were like back there I told him go put a load of towels in dryer for 20 min and stick your head in there that is summer in Kansas hot and humid.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Any where above 8000 feet almost always cool.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #28

A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
Have had this TT for ten years and most of our trips have been confined to the Pacific NW. Several multi-state, multi-week trips were all in the fall - mid-Sept to late Oct - so temps were moderated even in the mid-west. In all of those years we used the AC perhaps twice, and whenever folks here on the forum commented extensively on AC's I always rolled my eyes and shrugged my shoulders on why AC was such a big concern.

Now I get it. We just spent a week in East Texas, a week just outside Memphis and are now sitting for a week in Nashville. Gawd it's HOT. In Texas and Memphis we basically gave up on doing much of anything except sitting in the trailer with the AC on high. For folks who are used to - and very comfortable at - 55-65 degrees, 85 degrees at 9:30pm is pure misery. While walking Beale Street I was soaked and dripping as if someone had a hose on me. I had people asking what was wrong with me. One guy told me, "boy, y'all need to slow down" - - and I was already moving like a snail.

The heat in Nashville doesn't seem as oppressive as in Texas or Memphis - less humidity ??? - but still - - - - it's currently 10:30pm and we are in the TT with the AC on high.

Despite the heat, we are having a great time and it has been a great learning experience. Next time we camp in the south it will be in the winter. God bless air conditioning.
You must not have spent much time in your own area last summer when the temps were 100 to 115 degrees, from Washington all the way down through California.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
You must not have spent much time in your own area last summer when the temps were 100 to 115 degrees, from Washington all the way down through California.
Yes indeed. Last summer in the PNW was just a slice of heaven

There wasn't a portable or window mounted A/C unit for sale ANYWHERE and those with central A/C in their houses were running the repairmen ragged.

Seattle used to brag how the temps never went below Zero or above 100 in the area. Last year certainly blew that claim up with the high temps.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #30

Born and raised in the Coachella Valley, (South East of Palm Springs), and was 5 years old when we got electricity. Never saw a temp below 30 degrees until I was in college. So we are reverse snowbirds! North in the Summer and HOME during the winter. I love these stories, reminds me of some of our experiences. ONE of many "NICE" things about a RV, go where it is nice.
Stormy Dayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #31

Not a camping trip goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars that we live (and camp) in the low-humidity west. It could be 95 during the day but when the sun sinks low the cool breezes blow through the R-Pod and no A/C is needed. (I think we've turned it on once).

I lived in Baton Rouge and Houston before escaping to Colorado. I know all too well of what the OP speaks. No thank you.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #32

Is it hot?

We lived in Nashville for 17 years. Then moved to Ft. Lauderdale FL for 15 years. We are back in middle Tennessee. We understand HOT and HUMIDITY.

My rule of thumb: "When I take a shower and use 2 towels to dry off then find that I am still wet........it is hot and humid. Welcome to Summer"
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #33

And the Wife wonders why I like the A/C running at full tilt boogie...
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Just about anywhere that has mountains. We like the Appalachian Mountains in New York, but we're originally from NY.
Just about anywhere that has elevation to cool down in.
I guess my best advice would be to find an area you want to visit and check the temperatures there. As doanshop says, it's elevation that will keep you cool.... usually. Personally we like the east coast. Less dusty for those of us who are allergic to dust.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #35

Quote:
How about the coast of Maine? It's cool, great beaches in places, and the crawdads grow really, really big up there...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner