Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

NY trailer purchase & NJ title & registration

Would anyone know about buying a (new) trailer in NY and having it registered in NJ? I just purchased a 2014 Palamino Solaire213X from a dealer in NY. They would like me to come up sign paperwork, notarize paperwork, etc.. Since the dealer is about a 1 hour drive I'm trying to simplify the process - mail me the title, etc, I'll go to NJDMV, get registered and plate and then drive to NY to pick up the trailer. Otherwise I'm making multiple trips to get this done. I don't think they are set up to register the trailer in NJ. Do I need the title if I go to NJDMV? I'm wondering if I can go to NJDMV with just the purchase order.

Thanks all for any info provided!
Kevin
Skiptopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Why not a temporary tag on the camper from the dealer to get it home then do the transfer.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

I bought out of state and the dealer gave me the title and registered it in that state and gave me a temp tag so I could legally drive home. Then I just took it to a local rv dealer in my state and they took care of registering/titling/inspection. No DMV/DOT needed.

I am not 100% sure about NY/New Jersey laws but you shouldnt need to make several trips.

Welcome, Good Luck, and Enjoy!

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

x2 temp tag-

Just did the same thing in PA - NJ. Bought at Hershey Show, picked up in Gettysburg,PA... was presented with the title from Forest River, a temp tag (30 day transit), bill of sale, and finance paperwork. Since we financed through the dealer, we were also cut a check for the sales tax (payable to NJ DMV)...

Walked into DMV, surrendered old plate, got a new plate, title mailed to bank, registration in hand and out the door in 15 minutes. one thing to remember: If the unit has joint ownership (as mine is in both mine and DW's name) both need to sign and/or one needs to have POA (power of attorney) notarized and filled out ahead of time.

BTW: If you are in NJ and dealer is a hour away, you must be in my backyard. I am in the Paramus area.
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

Thanks all - I would think a temp. tag or even skip the temp. - just give me what I need to register in NJ and then I'll pick it up. Plus I'm not in a hurry to pick it up (I'm still working on making a spot to park it alongside the garage), but I get the feeling the dealer would like it picked up yesterday - even though they advertise free winter storage.
Thanks again.

dieselbobcat - I'm in Midland Park.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

The only issue with trying to do it then and there is if there is a payoff for your trade in it can delay getting all the paperwork done and having the check in hand for taxes. I bought from PA at the Hershey show and registering in VA. I paid for the temp tag, but it took about 12 days for the bank financing the RV to get everything done and the dealer shipped me the title of origin and the rest of the paperwork I needed to make VA happy. That included the check for the taxes.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptopp View Post
Plus I'm not in a hurry to pick it up (I'm still working on making a spot to park it alongside the garage), but I get the feeling the dealer would like it picked up yesterday - even though they advertise free winter storage.
Thanks again.
They'll probably storage the camper for free, once it's pay for...that's the issue.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

Just heard from the dealer - I need to get the manufacturer's sales order and an in transit permit (is there a charge for this?) - which is what they will have when I pick the trailer up. They made it sound like it would be two visits to get this done. Everything is paid for - I'm assuming they just want to make room. I'd prefer not leaving it there any longer than necessary, but until it warms up a bit I won't be looking to do anything with it anyway.

Tags
trailer