Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Odor near entrance door

We have a 2011 Rockwood Ultra Light and it has never had any stale smells or odors. We live in Florida and it is stored in our backyard (yes, uncovered). We typically use it once a year for about a month in the summer. Last year we were not able to travel so it didn't get the detailed cleaning it usually gets when we prepare for our trip. We opened it up just last week and there is an odor just at the entrance, like an old house smell. As soon as you get inside, no smell. Thought maybe it was the doormat since it has been with us for a while, so I got rid of it. I am in the process of cleaning, wiping everything down, especially the floor and door opening. Just can't get rid of that smell. Only near the entrance, and it hits you like a brick wall. Just for a split second, then mysteriously disappears. Has anyone ever encountered an odor just at their door? I am baffled...
katgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

Check your propane tank. If it’s near empty, gas valves will omit gas and Odor. Since psi is reduced near empty tanks can cause this.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
like an old house smell.
moldy? mildew?

is the floor wet and smelly under the tile?

did you roll under the trailer and have a look?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:04 PM   #4

It's not the propane tanks, they are fine. So hard to describe the odor, like old books, or an old musty smell. I almost thought there may be a dead lizard or something caught in the door, but not the case. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #5

Sorry, yes, we did look under the steps and under the trailer. Floor is not damp, no apparent mildew or mold. This is so bizarre, can not figure out what it is.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #6

Odor near entrance door

I just rolled out my trailer as well...and I have some odor coming off of the awning. Got some some crud/algae on it over the winter.
Could that be your issue as well ?

Best regards,

Randy
Randy and Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

I just learned about the AAV on a trailer this weekend. The Air Admittance Valve went bad on my daughters 2800BH. It was on the black tank so you can imagine what that smelled like! You may have one on a line feeding the grey tank and it may be bad. But not smell as bad a black tank. Not knowing your floor plan, but if your sink is by the door it may in the cabinet under sink and may be be suspect.

Happy trails.
MNTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #8

how about a dead animal in under belly.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #9
Site Team

What about water standing in a nearby storage bin? That stale smell can come from that.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #10

As Thomas Ho says above, it well could be a dead critter in the under belly. We've had a couple of occasions where we've found openings where mice and chipmunks have been able to get into that area. Look around the area where the stabilizer jacks are attached to the frame, while there is a 'gasket' installed there, we found a large gap in the way it was installed that allowed access to the area. Good luck finding it. Ed
hollywood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:13 AM   #11

If the sink traps dry up you'll smell the gray water tank, and without a little bleach, they get nasty.
Just a suggestion since I didn't see that you started actually using it yet.

I've had that problem.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #12

Near door odor

Could be your awning especially if it has been wet and not open for a period of time! Td
71349 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door