Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #21

I've done this a lot (helping stuck people, lost people, people on the side of the road with no tools or knowledge of how to change a flat tire). We ran into a lost young woman, her younger sister, and their kids sitting on the side of a dirt road out in the middle of the wilds of western New Mexico. It was in the middle of nowhere, and they were turned around and down to about 1/4 tank of gas from driving in circles. Both of them were crying and the kids were scared. We knew exactly where we were so we calmed them down, gave the hungry, scared kids some snacks and a drink of water, and showed them how to get out of their predicament. I just happen to have two full spare 5 gallon gas cans, so we gave them some of the gas and led them out to the pavement (took about 1.5 hours, too). We told them how to get back home, drew them a map on a piece of paper and went on our way. They thanked us profusely. The last we saw of those two, the younger sister was cussing out her older sister. We didn't stick around for the cat fight. They did make it home because we saw the older sister at the grocery store several weeks later and she said they made it home just fine.

After working for so many years in the mountains and high deserts of New Mexico, I learned to be prepared for anything (including a long walk home).

Another time I helped a gentleman get his "big long trailer" up a hill and make a really tight turn into an RV Park built on the side of a hill without incident. The turn scared him. Yes, he was new to trailering. His wife wasn't helping at all (if you know what I mean) . I offered to help him get around the corner and he was very glad for the help. He was cutting the corner too close. Made the turn for him and showed him what to do the next time. We saw them later on that evening and they were both all smiles. They offered us money but I refused. I told them to pass it on.

It is fun helping folks, but you must be alert and aware it could be setup these days. Discretion is better part of valor in this case.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #22

Thumbs up

Huge thanks to all of you who've stopped to help people. That's what the Good Sam club was originally all about.

What a shame for what it's turned into!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #23

It's always a good feeling to help out in the unfortunate situations folks find themselves in.
Last March, I was returning from Florida, to Ottawa Ontario in my motor home, staying in motels because it was easier on my handicapped wife.
Young fellow in the parking lot was in a bit of a panic in the early AM. Seems it was the first day of his first job as an engineer and his car would not start.
As a good RV'r I had cables etc. in the rear hatches and was able to maneuver my rig close enough to jump start him.
When he tried to pay me, I told him it was going to cost him something else: He had to return the favour to someone else down the line, when THEY had trouble.
Sure hope the thought took root.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #24

Its always nice to be able to help folks out when in need.

I guess I just prefer to keep those things to the people involved and not tell everybody about my own good deeds.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #25
Director, FROG

Good on ya, Rennie!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #26
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Well sitting watching the news last night I get a phone call from a former coworker asking if I was home and could offer a stranded camper some help. Seems their truck broke down and were stranded in a parking lot trying to get their Puma camper to the local state park just minutes from our home.
It felt really good being able to help someone as we have been in this situation and know how it feels, so off I go in our BIG truck and tow them to the state park. They were thrilled to have gotten some help and even more shocked when we refused any offer of cash and said that we were offered help once from someone who also refused anything and said to Just Pay it Forward. We were just glad to help and who knows a new friend and camping person might have been found as we did exchange numbers.

Also told them about FROG and they have never heard about it
I too have had help from fellow travellers and returned to the favour to others. Paying it Forward is almost a universal mantra of camper/travellers, all around the world. Although you do occasionally get confronted by the odd (and I mean that literally) person who is the complete opposite, ignorant, helpless, hopeless, intrusive, bull-headed and some just plain nasty to the point of being criminal.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post

I guess I just prefer to keep those things to the people involved and not tell everybody about my own good deeds.
I wouldn't feel like that.
Let others know and encourage similar behavior.
Let others know how much it is appreciated.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Probably could have rolled the truck onto the smart car ramps and towed them all to the park!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #29

Quote:

Good job RR thanks for sharing...……^^^^This guy doesn't mean what he said he just shared with everybody also.

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #30

Good for you for helping a fellow camper in need. I believe in and practice the Pay It Forward plan myself. One good turn deserves another, and all that. My dad was really big on helping others and refusing any type of compensation beyond "thank you," so I am familiar with and comfortable with not expecting any type of payment other than verbally.

It's good to know there are still not good, but great, people around us.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:49 AM   #31

Quote:

Irony.

Bruce
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #32
Broken Toe

You're just a big old softie with a heart of pure mush, aint ya? LOL

I would have loved to see their faces with you pulled up in your truck.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:18 AM   #33

I did warn them while on the phone before we set out to get them but Beth did say the wife's jaw just dropped when I actually pulled onto the parking lot.

On a foot note they did have Good Sam road service but because they were safely in a parking lot they said the did not offer any real help I said if it ever happens again I would not say it was in a parking lot but state stuck on side of road, then when tow truck arrives I was lucky enough to later limp into the lot to be safer for the tow operator.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #34

I was hoping they were pulling an R-Pod or a small pop up. I would like to see the pictures of you pulling that.

Bruce
Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #35
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I was hoping they were pulling an R-Pod or a small pop up. I would like to see the pictures of you pulling that.

Bruce
can you even do a bumper pull on a truck like that? inquiring minds want to know!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #36
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
can you even do a bumper pull on a truck like that? inquiring minds want to know!
IIRC, he has a receiver on the back of his K-worth. Would look about as absurd as the F-450 dually I saw once pulling a single jet ski.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #37
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Two weeks ago today (a Friday afternoon around 3:30 pm) as I was headed back home from a visit to my insurance agent's office and had just picked up a pizza for dinner, I was sitting at a red light in the left turn lane and saw a big 5'ver turn off of the highway with it's emergency flashers going.

As it drove by me I saw that it was of the same SOB as mine (Heartland), and I noticed the 'Heartland Owners Club' plaque mounted on their ladder (of which I am also a member), and then saw them pull in to a shopping center right there on the corner.

I decided to go see who they were and say 'Hi', so I flipped a 'Ueeee' and followed them in!

Turns out I knew them...had never met in person but had chatted with them on the Club's forum (same as this forum).

Anyway, they had stopped a couple of exits earlier in Yuma, AZ for lunch and when they hit the highway a passerby alerted them to a wheel bearing burning out...thus the chance meeting with me!

There was an RV parts store in this shopping center (Al's RV - love that place!) that is run by a couple of former RV techs and they gave the name of a repair shop about five miles up the road.

Anyway, I followed them to the RV repair shop to make sure they got there OK and offered them some of my pizza (didn't know that they had just stopped for lunch), and I hung around just to see if they needed anymore assistance.

Once I knew that they were able to get it fixed and back on the road I headed home for some pizza!

They contacted me a couple of days later and said they got back on the road around 6:30 pm and made their destination later that evening!

What is ironic is that I was going to go to the insurance office earlier in the day, but I went to get my 5'ver out of storage that morning and it took me longer than expected (I was getting something out of the basement and bashed my head on the kingpin ), so I put off the insurance office until after lunch.

I guess some things happen for a reason...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #38

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
I would be honored to be towed by the "Big Truck".....just wouldn't want it to be because of a breakdown though.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
IIRC, he has a receiver on the back of his K-worth. Would look about as absurd as the F-450 dually I saw once pulling a single jet ski.

Tim
Tim is correct, yes I can also bumper pull, that was how I towed my other car home on a rental trailer when I bought the truck and Smart Car
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #40
Director, FROG

Rennie, I made you a business card, just in case you'll be doing more of this.

Rennie's Reckers

Seriously, it's nice -- but not surprising -- to hear about you going out of your way to help another RVer.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote