Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #61

I know that just being funny .because of all that going on
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #62

And those that have fridges that run on 12v...
Old 12-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #63

Hey everyone... thanks for all of your feedback on my question about propane fridge and driving. Great info... much appreciated.... John
John Coate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #64

Turning Off Propane While Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAND View Post
Turn on day before getting it nice and cold. Then normally turn off during drive. No reason too just feel better about it.
I am also one of the safety minded ones who turns off my propane when I am driving. Here's an interesting little video that explains some the risks of having your propane on while on the highway.

https://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #65

Send a message via MSN to cschwa8518 Send a message via Yahoo to cschwa8518
Running Fridge on the road

In the past 20 years have owned a fifth wheel, B+, Super C, Class A . Travel Trailer and have run them all with the fridge on while going down the road on LP with no problem . Just have to remember to turn it off when fueling.
cschwa8518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #66
dfp

I run my domestic fridge when driving.
. I have done this for over 15 years.
dfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #67

I have one of the newer 12V fridges and I run mine on battery power while towing. Being unleveled doesn’t affect it. I like it so far although it’s a little loud when it’s running.
fordguy61mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #68

If I am not mistaken the 2020 Sunseeker is a 12 volt refrigerator. We have a 2020 Sunseeker and ours is 12 volt so the battery and solar keep it running the whole time.
Michaeltking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #69

Ladies and gentlemen, John has left the building.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #70

Yes. Propane. The only time I had any problem was when I took it down off of level to hitch it up too soon. It sat way off level for a long time. Then it didn't cool.

But no problems driving.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
MF5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #71

Thumbs up

agree
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #72

Running fridge while driving

That’s the only way your food will stay cold! Of course run it. Do not use the generator. Use your gas. Have fun & enjoy the road.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #73

Must assume you have an inverter to convert 12vdc to 120 vac?
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:42 PM   #74

Running fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by retdocj View Post
This question has been on my mind. I have been afraid to run my fridge on propane while towing because I am unsure of the tlr being perfectly level & "psyched" when I read about how easy it is to damage/ruin the fridge if it is not level (plumb) enough. Am I worrying too much?
There is no need to worry about the fridge being level while traveling. The reason for leveling the fridge is so it can drain off condensation. The movement while towing allows it to drain the condensation without clogging. Go for it.
dmayo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #75

Can you? Yes and many of us do.

The caveat is there are different laws in different states. If the refer being on contributes to damage during an accident scenario you could be held liable. I carry a hearty umbrella insurance policy over and above my auto and trailer policies to cover these contingencies.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #76

RunFrig while Driving

Hi John, since I travel with insulin, I run my frig on propane and to date, thank God no issues. I haven't tried my Onan while traveling yet. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Coate View Post
Hello there.... John here from Olympia, Wa. We just bought a 2020 Sunseeker 2400W MBS and I have a question about running the refrigerator while driving. It appears our fridge will run on propane, or, off of the Onan 4K generator while driving.

I’d appreciate any and all thoughts about these options. Or, is it just best to not run the fridge at all while driving?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kind regards, John
USAFE7Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #77

Other than explosions, the only problem I see is that a bumpy ride can cause liquid propane to slosh around and ruin the lp regulator. This can cause appliances like the fridge and hot water heater to not work properly. This happened to me when traveling with full lp tanks. For 2 years I kept trouble shooting the appliances, changing out thermocouples and such. I found an article that said I may have a damaged the regulator. I changed that and bingo bango the appliances worked great. Keep that in mind if you plan on driving with your lp tanks running. That and the explosions.
Dadio72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #78

Run it. It’s made to run on propane while you travel. Been doing this for 40 years. Never shut it off until we get home. Electric to cool down, propane to travel, electric while camping, propane to travel home, shut it off when we get home. Sometimes we leave it hooked up to the electric at home until we get to emptying it the next day. No need to worry unless you like to do that!
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Coate View Post
Hello there.... John here from Olympia, Wa. We just bought a 2020 Sunseeker 2400W MBS and I have a question about running the refrigerator while driving. It appears our fridge will run on propane, or, off of the Onan 4K generator while driving.

I’d appreciate any and all thoughts about these options. Or, is it just best to not run the fridge at all while driving?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Kind regards, John

Yes.....I always start mine a day early to cool things down before loading it. Only turn it off after coming home and unloading.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by retdocj View Post
This question has been on my mind. I have been afraid to run my fridge on propane while towing because I am unsure of the tlr being perfectly level & "psyched" when I read about how easy it is to damage/ruin the fridge if it is not level (plumb) enough. Am I worrying too much?
Definitely worrying too much. But then again many people do.

When traveling down the road the liquid in the cooling system for the refrigerator moves and the cooling process is not blocked as it would if parked off-level by a fairly considerable amount.

RV can be off by 1-3 degrees according to manufacturers and depending on front/rear or side/side, that can amount to several inches.

As for danger of fire while driving has anyone seen a warning label installed on their Propane/Electric refrigerators saying "Do Not Operate While Moving"?

Rest assured that if it was a valid concern they'd have a warning sticker just like all the others warning about operating the stove with privacy curtains drawn, using BBQ or outside kitchen stovetop with awning out.

If no "Lawyer Label" don't worry beyond common sense that says it would be a good idea to turn off when fueling gasoline or propane if getting that tank filled. THERE the station will have warning signs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge