Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you move over for merging traffic (public poll)
Yes, I move over and allow them to merge 224 78.60%
No, I stay in the lane and let them figure it out 61 21.40%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
Multi-Slacker

I used to complain about the people that did not understand Yield until I discovered that in CA there are no yield signs - and most folks do not. They just drive right on - at any old speed without looking. Most of the local freeways in SoCal are 4 lanes in each direction. By law, trailers are restricted to the right two lanes and 55 mph. Big rigs have the same restrictions and that means anybody towing has to play with them.

With lane numbering going from left to right, we have to stay in lanes 3 & 4. If in lane 3, rigs will close to within a few feet of your bumper. In lane 4 you get to play with all the folks that have no clue how to merge. Urban/suburban freeway driving with a TT is highly stressful.

I think I need a dash cam and a recording device for the rear camera.

To answer the question, we try to stay in lane 3 and move to lane 4 a few miles before our exit so we can do so safely. We'll slow down for mergers as much as feasible.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #22

The one that ticks me off. When entering interstate from on ramp, car behind jumps in front while I am trying to merge then cuts me off. They need to take their turn.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
X3
I'm always amazed at how many people don't understand the meaning of the word YIELD, especially drivers in Mas...... never mind, I won't mention the state.
All the States are that way! I move for the trucks and most times they move for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #24

I got the finger a few days ago from a truck jockey for moving to the left to let another truck in on the ramp.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #25

We have a different problem here in the North Wet. Since they legalized weed you can't get ANYONE to push down on the long pedal. So them Prius are going to be doing a maximum of about 25 when they hit the end of the ramp. Coincidentally, that is the first time they get curious about whether or not there might be an opening in traffic.

Moving over a lane is basically the only option (assuming that there is room). Always wanted to run over one - just to see what it sounds like.
Steve_Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #26
Professional Curmudgeon

When I am towing (commercially) I am limited to 65 mph maximum; I usually pull at 10 mph below the posted speed limit, though many times, even though the posted speed limit may be 70, there's no way I'm pulling a camper any faster than 55 mph. Even then, many people can't seem to merge in front of me successfully. One woman on the merge lane two car lengths in front of me actually came to a stop rather than move over in front of me. I have no idea why she pulled that stunt.
Actually, I blame the public school system. People no longer understand that merge is a verb and you can't commit a verb while sitting still.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X4. What I won't do is slam on the binders for them and risk being rear-ended by the flow of traffic. What part of that YIELD sign don't they understand?
Yep, we move over whenever we can but I am continually stunned by the number of drivers who assume "merge" or "yield" means the guy in the right lane will move over and let ME, ME ME, in.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #28
Grammar Pedant

I rarely move over for passenger cars. I'm usually running around 55-60 MPH in our 75 MPH zones. Moving left, even briefly, when going that slow isn't very cool. Even in light traffic, this can quickly cause a significant inconvenience for many cars on the freeway. I'd rather just inconvenience the one car merging ... cars can easily adjust speed to navigate around me. And those that aren't distracted by their phones easily do.

When I'm closer to the speed limit, then I follow Wildcat's rules.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #29
RV There Yet?

I will move if I can. if there is traffic behind me that will catch me after the merge, i stay put. i will usually adjust my speed up or down a little though. I have been caught in the left lane too many times trying to get back into the right lane and getting passed on the right as i have my blinker on. its the oncoming vehicles responsibility to safely merge with us.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #30

I drive at 63 MPH. On the cruise.

The standard instruction book from the DMV says when in doubt maintain your speed.

If the road is really not busy I will move to the left lane. Especially for a big truck. I do whatever I can to help them get in.

Twice during our summer trek some Bozos failed to use the acceleration lane properly. I noticed one and said to the DW the fellow to the right is an Ignorant F$%^ and will be stupid. He was. Accelerated to 70 and was ahead of me. Then when he saw me he braked and ran off the end off the ramp to the shoulder while flipping me the bird.

Driving a fiver is a little scary.

The DW and I only drive between 9 am and 3 pm. The crazies are always out there.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #31

In southern California they have long exit lanes, so you get people using the exit lane to pass the slow moving traffic on the right and then try to cut back into traffic before they have to get off. And you wonder why there is road rage. Driving should be a smooth flow, judging distance, speed, and try to anticipate what other drivers are trying to do. When I drove trucks, people would always cut in front of you figuring you would have to maintain more following distance.
Big truck, big brakes right? forget I weigh 80,000 lbs.
I do move to the left lane for trucks or someone driving clueless entering the freeway when i can get over, otherwise adjust my speed to avoid an accident.
m151usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If I can move over safely I will. If the traffic is heavy I won't. If I can slow down safely to let them in, I will. Otherwise I won't. It is their job to merge safely with me.
X ** (whatever the number is up to now). NMWildcat is right. I always try to be courteous however not always possible. And yes, many times I've moved over to let someone merge just to have the idiot get right beside me so I can't get back to the right lane. To bad nautical rules of the road don't apply. That would wake some people up real fast and fix their poor driving habits. Law of tonnage always will always win there.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
X ** (whatever the number is up to now). NMWildcat is right. I always try to be courteous however not always possible. And yes, many times I've moved over to let someone merge just to have the idiot get right beside me so I can't get back to the right lane. To bad nautical rules of the road don't apply. That would wake some people up real fast and fix their poor driving habits. Law of tonnage always will always win there.
X4

Since I usually run close to 10 MPH below speed limit, moving over is risky. I have found that most drivers will do anything to avoid being behind a 36 foot MH pulling a toad. That makes some interesting merges.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #34
Junior Old Fart

Yes, and No,
If safe to move over, I do.
If not, then No!

Most times the merger manages to get in with no problems.
But there are a few who don't even look, drive 30 mph/Kph to the end and just move over,
pace you to the end then get mad because you didn't slow down for them,
fly down the ramp, then brake too hard.

Then there's the ones on the other side.
You're using the on ramp, speeding up to traffic speed, have a large opening, only to have the person who would be behind you speed up and take most of your opening.
LTDunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #35

I was taught that you always find a hole way back before you get into the Freeway traffic and speed up to fill that hole. The reason they call it a freeway is because the traffic using it has the freeway. I had a time where I was coming on and just as I got to my hole a woman in another car pulled into my opening forcing me to the edge of the road and she was laughing at me the whole time. I think anymore people are thinking they don't have to speedup to merge and you are the one that is supposed to let them in. I usually try to slow my rig slightly as somebody coming on not speeding up and letting them in some times if there is room I get over but here in California the traffic just keeps piling up and they tend to tailgate so bad that if you have any opening they try to fill it.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #36

We took a 7000 mile trip earlier this year from WI to SC to New Brunswick and back to WI. I have never seen such IDIOTS when it comes to getting up to speed and merging with traffic. I attempted to give them room to get in but gave up after a while.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #37

sometimes being 'nice' is more of a problem than just doing what you should normally do - hold the lane you are in - don't speed up, but maintain a consistent speed. Folks who are merging are at the mercy of the lanes already in motion - it's up to THEM to either merge when available, at a safe and familiar speed with the other traffic, or to slow down and WAIT until traffic is clear.
While we many times may see a big rig coming down the ramp and we have the ability to slow, or move over, safely...then yes, do it. But, there's no 'requirement' for you to do it.
Sometimes being too worried about what merging traffic causes more issues than just maintain a safe and consistent speed and letting them handle the merging - it's their responsibility.

If an accident occurs, and someone 'merged' into you, then they will ALWAYS be at fault...existing traffic has the right of way...merging traffic must yield... even though sometimes they don't seem as if they understand that.

We all know that it's 'nice' when existing traffic changes lanes for us when we are merging, but we also all know that, deep down, the responsibility is ours, not theirs.

That being said, there are only us 'good' drivers on this forum, anyhow...nice : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #38

Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I leave my cruise set and only get over if clear. Im not getting into the fast lane at 64-66 MPH with my 43 foot 5th wheel and getting run over. It's not my job to help you merge. Either get on the gas and get in front of me or file in behind. Im amazed by the amount of people who try to merge well below the speed limit, get on the gas people.
Right on!! God, be doing the speed limit or better yet 5 or 10 mph greater when they get to the bottom of the ramp 🤬. I almost feel better now.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #39

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If I can move over safely I will. If the traffic is heavy I won't. If I can slow down safely to let them in, I will. Otherwise I won't. It is their job to merge safely with me.

This is the correct answer.

If all the traffic is moving at 50-60-70 mph, whatever speed, then don't try to merge going 20 mph slower.

It is the merging vehicles duty to match the speed to the flow of traffic.

This keeps traffic flowing safely.
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #40

I am also in agreeance with most of the comments posted. I must comment about something else along the the same subject. I live in a major highway that goes towards the beaches, heavy traffic most of the summer season. Well there is an on ramp with a lengthy acceleration lane and it almost never fails that someone will just creep along waiting for an opening. Then they have to stop at the end because their opening never came. That's when the back ups and accidents happen. Then you always have a person following pulling a 5er or TT who was starting to get a run on the downhill portion of the ramp have to whoa the rig losing any momentum that they had.

Sorry to throw the thread off course.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote