Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you move over for merging traffic (public poll)
Yes, I move over and allow them to merge 224 78.60%
No, I stay in the lane and let them figure it out 61 21.40%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
The Tudors

Lightbulb On Ramps and Merging

Here's the situation: You're on the main highway, you're coming up to an on-ramp that merges on to the highway, and there's a vehicle getting ready to merge.
* How many of you, if it's clear, move in to the left lane to allow the vehicle to merge.
* How many stay in the lane letting the merging vehicle decide if he wants to speed up to get ahead of you, or slow down and get behind you?

The reason I'm asking is all too often I've been the 'nice guy' and moved in to the left lane, only to have the merging vehicle match my speed and stay right beside me. It then becomes a pain either trying to speed up and get in front of him, or trying to slow down and get behind him, only to have vehicles start passing on the right. My friend no longer moves into the left lane, which I think can lead to really ticking someone off. It's always a challenge sharing the road with inconsiderate drivers, but when you're towing, it can get dangerous. Just thought I'd see how some in the community handle this situation.

Thanks, and safe travels!
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

If I can move over safely I will. If the traffic is heavy I won't. If I can slow down safely to let them in, I will. Otherwise I won't. It is their job to merge safely with me.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If I can move over safely I will. If the traffic is heavy I won't. If I can slow down safely to let them in, I will. Otherwise I won't. It is their job to merge safely with me.
X2
Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

NMWildcat's got it. Be as courteous on the road as possible. If the car that just merged in wont pass, I'll speed up to merge back to the slow lane. If they speed up, I'll let off again and usually they'll pass at that point. There are bad drivers and selfish drivers out there, but I'll assume someone merging onto the highway is a reasonable driver.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPINGADDICT View Post
X2
X3

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

usually I take into consideration the vehicle merging. If the merging vehicle is more agile, I stay put. If another trailer, truck etc, I move over.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

X3
I'm always amazed at how many people don't understand the meaning of the word YIELD, especially drivers in Mas...... never mind, I won't mention the state.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
It is their job to merge safely with me.

While it's true that they do NOT have the right of way, I often seem to encounter folks that want to make a game of "chicken" out of it. They come barreling down the on ramp at an extremely high speed looking as if they have absolutely no intention of ever yielding. While they may be able to screech to a stop at the last instant, I can't.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #9

After pulling 14000 miles this year I cant count on how many times the wife and I have discussed this. People do not understand the purpose of an acceleration lane. To make it even more complicated some states have no acceleration lanes, they use yield signs, that gets tricky. What I do is take each situation as it comes. I wish there is a better answer. I do recommend staying in the center lane if possible. Good luck and travel safe..
Titan 50 gal fuel tank
Air Lift 7500 lb bags
changing it up a bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Every situation is different, but generally, if I feel I can safely move left AND safely move back to the right, I will. If traffic's heavy enough that I'm not going to have a gap to move back into, then I take my foot off the gas and start slowing down. Most people will accelerate and get in front.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #11

laws on merging in your state or province differ.
I generally attempt to maintain speed I am at and I look back up the ramp to see if someone is advancing long before that point of merge (or impact for some)

if they are It has been my experience they generally do not look to the left until they are right on top of the point of merge (impact)

some drivers will adjust speed and slow until I pass with the 38 foot trailer or speed up and do what the law expects them to be doing - achieve highway speed.
I've had drivers literally attempt to dig through my fridge as they stayed with me until they ran out of room in the merge lane, and expected me to brake and permit them into the lane which was packed up behind me for several car lengths.
it its a transport coming then if the left lane is empty and no one is coming hard and fast up my rear I move over because the last thing I need is something bigger than my unit being pushed.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Every situation is different, but generally, if I feel I can safely move left AND safely move back to the right, I will. If traffic's heavy enough that I'm not going to have a gap to move back into, then I take my foot off the gas and start slowing down. Most people will accelerate and get in front.
X2.....The key word is most people will accelerate it's the idiots that match my speed and are right aside of me coming down the ramp refusing to hit the gas pedal thinking I'm the one that is supposed to speed up
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
D W

Quote:
X4. What I won't do is slam on the binders for them and risk being rear-ended by the flow of traffic. What part of that YIELD sign don't they understand?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
X4. What I won't do is slam on the binders for them and risk being rear-ended by the flow of traffic. What part of that YIELD sign don't they understand?
X5
DonMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #15
Senior Senior Member

I try to be a merge friendly driver. After all if you are traveling along the highway, chances are you had to merge to get on. I do believe it is up to the driver entering traffic to pick his spot, get the merge speed right and signal his intent. That is what I do.
However, there will always be the Jackazzes that will match your speed and defeat your best attempts at a smooth merge. They will often speed up to close the previous open spot you were shooting for.

So when I am in the lane next to the ramp, I will work with mergers. I will take my foot off the gas but I will not hit the brakes, unless forced to.
The worst merge types are the ones who dawdle down, or up, the ramp. Never turn to see what the traffic is and just drive to the end of the merge lane and move over. Never speeding up to match traffic or check for an opening. We all see those types every trip, I'm pretty sure. That's probably what starts a poll like this.
At the end of the day, I believe one rule trumps all others: If you can avoid a wreck, you must do so. Even if you "have the right of way".
Old 09-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
At the end of the day, I believe one rule trumps all others: If you can avoid a wreck, you must do so. Even if you "have the right of way".
X2
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

I move over when I can, then move back. It is important to verify that some idiot doesn't try to pass you on the right as you merge back to the right lane.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #18

My experience is that many drivers fail to accelerate fast enough to merge safely in front of me. It's their responsibility to match or exceed the speed of flowing traffic to merge safely in front or behind. I think we always benefit by being courteous and avoiding conflicts, so I move over when I can. It is maddening when a driver will accelerate just enough to match my speed and position as he tries to merge.

My brother has a four trumpet train horn installed with an air compressor on his F-250, and I wish I had it for those occasions. It could wake the dead.

I have had issues recently of driving on a three or four lane highway at the speed limit and needing to change lanes to exit or to avoid on-ramp traffic. As I signal my lane change, I will often have cars visibly accelerate from behind to pass me in the lane I am signalling to enter. This is both dangerous and frustrating. If the sun is at a bad angle, perhaps they don't see my small factory incandescent blinkers, I don't know. Or perhaps they're in a hurry. But it has motivated me to add a 60" light strip (one made for pickups) with LED's across the whole back of my fifth wheel to add brighter turn signals so there's no doubt what my intentions are.

I think some folks don't realize the dangers they assume when they see the signal from far behind me and still try to pass a big rig that is changing lanes. In fact, I know they don't because I see them tailgate other drivers at 70mph, like they are Mario Andretti, while the laws of physics are very unforgiving.

I had an accident when I was young, and, as the other driver and I worried about who would get a ticket, the police officer surpised us both by stating that we both had violated one of the laws ... of physics: that two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

He was right!

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I move over when I can, then move back. It is important to verify that some idiot doesn't try to pass you on the right as you merge back to the right lane.
That's what I refer to as the "Phantom Passer". I saw this last week where a right lane was closed for road paving. Naturally the traffic slows down to a crawl as you run along the pylons, but some knucklehead fails to notice this and comes speeding up the right side and runs slam into the pylons that cordon off the closed lane. Pylons go flying in every direction with some stuck underneath the car,... and there he sits looking stupid.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #20

I leave my cruise set and only get over if clear. Im not getting into the fast lane at 64-66 MPH with my 43 foot 5th wheel and getting run over. It's not my job to help you merge. Either get on the gas and get in front of me or file in behind. Im amazed by the amount of people who try to merge well below the speed limit, get on the gas people.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote