Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

? On warranty work

Been reading a lot on this form on different topics since I am getting ready to pull the plug on a new FR 5th wheel. I am more then likely going to buy mine from a dealer in SC since he has what I am looking for. My question is this there are FR dealers closer to me but don't sell what I want. But since they are FR dealers can't they perform warranty work on a FR camper. Do you have to take your camper back to the dealer it was purchased from for warranty work?
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

It's not just FR dealers that will not work on a unit you did not buy from, because FR does not own the dealership they have no control over them.

If you want a local FR dealer to sell and service a trailer it may be better to buy from that dealer.

Will they order what you want?

Buy online and have it shipped to your address or go get it yourself.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Before you buy, you need to ask those FR dealers if they'll do the warranty work.
They don't have to though. The RV industry is NOT like the Auto industry.

This subject is one of the most discussed topics on RV forums.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

The local dealer does not have to do warranty work on a trailer not bought from them and probably will not. There is a dealer that we go to at times the will flat out tell you they will work on any trailer at their labor rate, but only do warranty work on what they sell. Some do some don't.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Site Team

You need to be careful how you ask.
1. Some dealers will not do warranty work on units they did not sell.
2. Some dealers will do work on units they did not sell, but you will be at the end of the line and their customers will have priority so you could miss most of a season for a major repair
3. Some dealers will work on units they did not sell and treat you fairly, but they are hard to find.

If you are handy and willing to handle minor things you should be OK not having a local dealer.
If you are not handy and expect to have a large punch list. buy local ( order or ask them to find the unit you want.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You need to be careful how you ask.
1. Some dealers will not do warranty work on units they did not sell.
2. Some dealers will do work on units they did not sell, but you will be at the end of the line and their customers will have priority so you could miss most of a season for a major repair
3. Some dealers will work on units they did not sell and treat you fairly, but they are hard to find.

If you are handy and willing to handle minor things you should be OK not having a local dealer.
If you are not handy and expect to have a large punch list. buy local ( order or ask them to find the unit you want.
Well said Flybob. I see it all the time on this forum. Folks will post how they saved X-amount by purchasing from a dealer halfway across the continent. Then three months later they're posting about having problems/delays getting warranty service from their local dealer.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the response learned a lot.
1. TT dealers are not like car dealers
2. If they don't sell the model you are looking for they can not order it
3. Most not willing to do warranty work if they didn't sell the TT. Reason is they only get 75% of their labor rate when doing warranty work so I am told by a dealer.
4. You are definitely at the end of the list for work needed if not purchased from them.
Be nice if it wasn't like this. Problem I have no one locally sells the Cherokee model I want nearest is in SC 2 1/2 hours away one way. So guess I change what I want to get something locally or just suck it up.
Thanks again everyone I did leave a lot.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #8

. ..And some local dealers will give you the warranty runaround for months EVEN when you DO buy from them...Preferring the vastly more profitable out of warranty customers.
FRC
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
Been reading a lot on this form on different topics since I am getting ready to pull the plug on a new FR 5th wheel. I am more then likely going to buy mine from a dealer in SC since he has what I am looking for. My question is this there are FR dealers closer to me but don't sell what I want. But since they are FR dealers can't they perform warranty work on a FR camper. Do you have to take your camper back to the dealer it was purchased from for warranty work?
My local dealer will do warranty work, or any other work, on practically any trailer or MH, in a FCFS basis. I did not buy there.

They do exist. Apparently few and far between, but they do exist.

I have friend's that have campers that wouldn't trust their local dealer to do any work, warranty or not.

The variances are huge. You just have to find out somehow, hopefully before you buy (which I did not, I just got lucky).

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #10

Buy Local

I am a huge fan of buying local. I began my search at the local dealership, they were super nice, with a no pressure approach. They let me look around all i wanted, and were there to answer any questions. They wanted me to be able to buy what I wanted, and wanted us to end up with what we wanted. They encouraged us to shop around to see what else might be out there. We spent about a month visiting other dealerships looking at all the different makes, and models. Didn't enjoy the hi pressure sales pitch at most places. After all the looking around we ended up right where we started, and again they let us climb around looking at everything they had. We returned several times until we were sure of our selection. Never any pressure and we were treated like kin folk. Best buying process I have ever had. Had a real good PDI walk through as well. Found a few items at that time, and they said no problem at all. Items were taken care of before delivery. They told us go out and use it and take notes of any concerns. After a few times out there were some concerns. Made my list, stopped by without my TT to talk about them. They ordered some parts , made an appointment after parts arrived, dropped it off, and they had it done before our next trip. I'm so glad we bought from them. They are close by, right on my way home from work. Sometimes I stop by just to look at the new stuff, thinking I might find something to cause buyers remorse. It hasn't happened yet, that has to be a good sign that we bought what was right for us. Out TT is back in for some more warranty work, and I stop by a check on the progress of repairs, and they are happy to take me into their shop, show and tell me they are doing. I almost feel like I work there, getting to know all the people there. I'd say if you can't get what you want locally, have them order it for you. Keep it close, and get a feel for your local dealership. I'm glad I did. And also thanks to everyone who posts in this forum. They are of great service in all areas. There are many lessons to be learned here, and people are friendly, kind and willing to share. Read lots, let it sink in, and decide what works for you. It's as much fun as stopping by my local dealership. Well maybe a little more, there are some funny and interesting here. Great entertainment to be had. Tanks for letting me hang out here.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty