Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

One more de-winterizing question

Just need clarification. If trailer was winterized with antifreeze pumped thru the winterizing port, I assume it leaves antifreeze in the water pump itself. Am I correct that if I de-winterize using the city water connection, I will clear out the lines, but since I don't turn on water pump, it would leave antifreeze in the pump? If so, should I then just put a little water in the fresh water tank and repeat the process using the water pump? Or perhaps I shouldn't be using the city water to begin with? Appreciate any insights.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Your assumptions are correct.

Flushing the lines only with the city water connection will leave a small amount of antifreeze in the pump and suction strainer.

Using the pump and water from the fresh tank will flush it out.

For me, I typically start my de-winterization process by sucking about a half bucket of fresh water into the pump from the same port I used to pull in the antifreeze in the fall.

Then I use the city port to continue the flush throughout the system and finally, a solution of bleach in the fresh water tank to finalize the flush and sanitize.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Insert witty title here

I de-winterize and sanitize at the same time. I will fill my FW tank with sanitizing solution then use the pump to fill all the water lines including the water heater. For the city water connection, depress the check valve button under the screen at the city water inlet then have someone turn on the pump. This will de-winterize and sanitize the city water connection. DO NOT press the check valve button when the lines are pressurized, you can damage the check valve. Depress the button THEN turn on the pump.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

Most will want to sanitize their fresh water tank and lines with a solution of 3-4 oz. of bleach and water to a 30-40 gallon fresh water tank. The most particular campers will even drive around a bit with the solution sloshing around the tank. I'm not there yet. Then run your pump and one by one open faucets etc. and let the bleach water run for a couple of minutes, sanitizing each line in the process. Don't forget outside showers, inside and the toilet too. If you reverse for camping use your water tank by pass that too will fill with the solution. You can run some through the hot water taps then pull the drain plug on the tank to drains the rest. Some years I will then repeat the whole process with fresh water only, others I didn't bother. Water from the taps tastes fine and my hair, whats left of it at least, hasn't turned blond or green.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Most will want to sanitize their fresh water tank and lines with a solution of 3-4 oz. of bleach and water to a 30-40 gallon fresh water tank. The most particular campers will even drive around a bit with the solution sloshing around the tank. I'm not there yet. Then run your pump and one by one open faucets etc. and let the bleach water run for a couple of minutes, sanitizing each line in the process. Don't forget outside showers, inside and the toilet too. If you reverse for camping use your water tank by pass that too will fill with the solution. You can run some through the hot water taps then pull the drain plug on the tank to drains the rest. Some years I will then repeat the whole process with fresh water only, others I didn't bother. Water from the taps tastes fine and my hair, whats left of it at least, hasn't turned blond or green.
So it is okay to run the sanitizing solution through the water heater then? I had seen mixed commentary about that but it makes sense. I took away that I should first clear out the other lines of antifreeze before opening the bypass and letting bleach solution fill the water heater....right? Thanks.
6.0 Gasser 4:10

Smiletwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
So it is okay to run the sanitizing solution through the water heater then? I had seen mixed commentary about that but it makes sense. I took away that I should first clear out the other lines of antifreeze before opening the bypass and letting bleach solution fill the water heater....right? Thanks.
I don't really know, I've always done mine in bypass mode. But, if you did fill it, I'd recommend draining it again afterwards. Otherwise, it'll take forever to get all the bleach out of it.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiletwice View Post
Yes, it is better to rinse the anti-freeze out before filling the water heater. The anti-freeze won't hurt you, but does have an odd flavor...

Exposing some metals to high concentrations of chlorine bleach will damage the metal. The short exposure and relatively low concentrations needed for sanitization will not noticeably affect the life of the water heater. Sanitizing the water heater is not strictly required, especially if you drained the heater before winter. How often have you done anything to your home heater? The temp of the water when the heater is used will take care of most issues. De-liming the tank will also sanitize it.

So, as a note, depending on where you camp and the water quality, it may be advisable to de-lime the water heater every so often. Lime build-up on the electric heating element will slow down the rate the water is heated. If you had a lot of gunk in the tank when it was drained, that gunk is generally lime deposits. The recommended de-liming process is to fill the heater with a 50% solution of water and common white vinegar. Then either turn on the heater and let it sit for an hour or more before turning off the heater and draining it (let the water cool some before draining!) or let the solution sit overnight at ambient temperature. DO NOT just run the solution thru your plumbing! Rinse the water heater well after draining to clear out any sediment that may be on the bottom of the tank.

A way to get the vinegar into the heater is to:
1. Drain heater
2. with the water heater in normal mode (not by-passed) use your winterization port to suck in the appropriate amount of full strength vinegar while holding the water heater pressure relief valve open.
3. Use the city water port to finish filling the water heater, again holding the relief valve open until the tank has topped off.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Your assumptions are correct.

Flushing the lines only with the city water connection will leave a small amount of antifreeze in the pump and suction strainer.

Using the pump and water from the fresh tank will flush it out.

For me, I typically start my de-winterization process by sucking about a half bucket of fresh water into the pump from the same port I used to pull in the antifreeze in the fall.

Then I use the city port to continue the flush throughout the system and finally, a solution of bleach in the fresh water tank to finalize the flush and sanitize.
Smart move! Great ideas.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #9

Don't forget the washer hookups many newer trailers have installed in them. They will hold the antifreeze, and will hold water in the fall when you winterize. Both will back feed into the system.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

This time of year, it is always good to go through these threads for a mini refresher course. Thanks to all for their input.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter