Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #1

Only camped once in 2016

I haven't been on in a few months but I figure it's never to late to share!
We only made it out once last year to camp and it was our first time using the camper since we got it.
It was pretty interesting to say the least. We camped in town since it's alittle too much for my half ton truck. But getting there and setting up by myself wasn't as hard as I was anticipating so we were off to a good start except for the part where I forgot to load the food, blankets, ice, and lights lol. After I went back to get that stuff I realized I forgot chairs lol. But first night went fine after that. The second day I was able to fill the fresh water tank and that's how I found out the water lines from the pump was disconnected and a piece was broken off, I ended up finding some pipe fittings and we finally have water!! It was around 40 degrees overnight and I only turned on our little space heater once so I think I did a good job with insulating it!! On pack up day was pretty simple easy although I was alittle more loaded going home then when I got there but when u forget to load all of it to go camping things will look alittle light lol
All in all first time camping with the camper I call success!!!!
my transmission in my truck decided I didn't need reverse anymore. Finally after months of looking, searching, arguing with dealers how they are overpriced with junk trucks,(possibly not being allowed back to some dealerships) we finally purchased one! 2012 f250 crew cab 6.2 red and my son decided to call it Clifford the big red truck! Now all we can do is sit and wait till spring!
Registered user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Only camped once in 2016

Season is just around the corner. I get my itch satisfied by spending time in camper right in driveway. I don't know if you store off site or not.

We have mostly two sets of everything so everything we need stays in camper and we only need to stock with food. That way we don't forget anything when packing up.

It good to know you found a new TV. Here's to a better 2017 camping season for you. What do you have for camper? Did not see it listed in your profile or signature.

We have 54 nights reserved for 2017
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 AM   #3

I have a 2002 forest river sierra 27rlss 32ft tt.
We have pretty much 2 of everything as well. Now we know what we need in the camper lol. I don't get to keep the camper on site which is fine it would remind me that I should of done more work to it over the winter
Old 02-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Glade to hear it was almost a successful trip and easy fix. Enjoy the new year and hope you have many day camping. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #5

Congratulations on Clifford the big red truck and the Sierra. We're new to "Glamping camping " to, as loved ones call it. We were able to get 40 days in last year and counting the days down for season 2 to get going.
Stay safe have fun and Happy RVing from Farmer NC
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

I didn't keep up with how many days we camped last year, it was great. 2017 we hope is going to be better
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Registered user View Post
I have a 2002 forest river sierra 27rlss 32ft tt.
We have pretty much 2 of everything as well. Now we know what we need in the camper lol. I don't get to keep the camper on site which is fine it would remind me that I should of done more work to it over the winter
I hope you Winterized ,or you will find More broken pipes! Youroo!!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #8

The trips get better and easier. If you are a newbie then you just have to do it until you aren't. If you develop a routine and stay with it...it becomes easier. The most important is the hook-up and disconnecting. That is the part where someone/thing can get hurt. Develop a routine for that and go over it in your head until you can remember the steps and the rest won't be a problem. I assume you have help to load that makes it easier. Use your phone or walkies and parking is easier.

One trip DW had upset stomach and needed to stop. Chose Mcdonalds and ended up in a dead end parking lot. DW had to act like road crew and block traffic as I backed a couple hundred feet to a point I could get out, but we made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
The trips get better and easier. If you are a newbie then you just have to do it until you aren't. If you develop a routine and stay with it...it becomes easier. The most important is the hook-up and disconnecting. That is the part where someone/thing can get hurt. Develop a routine for that and go over it in your head until you can remember the steps and the rest won't be a problem. I assume you have help to load that makes it easier. Use your phone or walkies and parking is easier.

One trip DW had upset stomach and needed to stop. Chose Mcdonalds and ended up in a dead end parking lot. DW had to act like road crew and block traffic as I backed a couple hundred feet to a point I could get out, but we made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Then ya get old and forget all Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

Doesn't matter the type/size of your camper or where you store during off season, a couple of check-off lists work great ~ especially for first couple of outings and for newb's. Lists can contain what you take along, what should be inside, even what you 'think' you might need (subject to change).
One list for inside ~ close this/close that, lock this/lock that, etc.
Another list for outside the same way ~
When you think you're ready, exchange lists with the DW and go back through the lists.
Always double check under the trailer and look at TV hook-up as last 2 steps before pulling off site ~~ hopefully you won't be surprised by anything.

The 1st time we went out with our original trailer, I swear ~ if the DW knew I had something for camping, it got loaded! I think the 1500 was overloaded before I got the trailer hooked up!!
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #11

Doesn't matter the type/size of your camper or where you store during off season, a couple of check-off lists work great ~ especially for first couple of outings and for newb's. Lists can contain what you take along, what should be inside, even what you 'think' you might need (subject to change).
One list for inside ~ close this/close that, lock this/lock that, etc.
Another list for outside the same way ~
When you think you're ready, exchange lists with the DW and go back through the lists.
Always double check under the trailer and look at TV hook-up as last 2 steps before pulling off site ~~ hopefully you won't be surprised by anything.

The 1st time we went out with our original trailer, I swear ~ if the DW knew I had something for camping, it got loaded! I think the 1500 was overloaded before I got the trailer hooked up!!

Forgot ~
Old 02-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
Luckybreak

Ha! Made me laugh reading your story...you have us beat...we just look at our stored trailer & hope we get on the road this year...oh, but we need 4 new tires b4 we can go anywhere!! Enjoy your camper!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #13

It is very interesting to see y'all getting excited to start ~~ disappointing as well. We are basically on the road from mid-September until the end of May. My only sanity salvation is keeping the boat fishing the Atlantic until y'all go into hibernation again.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybreak View Post
Ha! Made me laugh reading your story...you have us beat...we just look at our stored trailer & hope we get on the road this year...oh, but we need 4 new tires b4 we can go anywhere!! Enjoy your camper!
Glad I could cause you to chuckle a bit Lb ~ what you don't understand, it's the truth! The 1st camper was a trailer conversion. I used an 8X12 snow mobile trailer with factory side door & rear ramp. Added roof vents, windows, awning, outside table attached, stabilizers and electricity. Unload the bike, throw down air mattress and home away from home. We loaded everything you could imagine! Matter of fact, the duffel bags for clothing was in the trailer with the bike. Was a blast though and did down size a lot before getting the 26RR. Now, things go in for 1st trip and come out only after last trip of the season. Have adapted and learned even more. I !! Can't wait for the white stuff to melt so we can get out & after it. Hope everyone has a good season without misfortunes ~~
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #15

We have all had our days, I drove off still plugged in. We keep everything we need in the RV, including a couple of days supply of clothes. We travel with the black and gray tanks empty, and 1/3 in fresh water. I surprised my wife when I bought the first class A, and didn't tell her. She told me OK, now that we have it is going out at least once a month. in the 11 years, and 3 more class A motor home, we have used it almost every moths, and some months more than once. For the past 5 years we have spent May to Sept. in the motor home in Key West. Use it and enjoy it.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #16

LOL, That's the reason you should not goo too far on your first trip!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #17

Hopefully this yr of camping will be easier on me!! Lol
Unfortunately we will only be able to go once this year for sure since every weekend till octoberish. But I did take it down to the acreage to store it for awhile and as expected the truck pulled it like a champ!! I did notice however that the front of the camper has so much water damage that it looked like the sidewalls were expanding, so I'm gonna try and peel off the sidewall and fix it. I know it would be easier to buy a new one.