Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Opinions....Expectations too high?

Just some banter incase anyone is bored.

Grand Prairie TX city run campground.....$28 per night full hookups.

But, the catch is your tow vehicle and any other vehicle you bring in is $10 per day unless you purchase an annual pass good for that "vehicle" only.....not your family or an individual.

So, we're up to $48 per day to have a little work week getaway. I emailed the mayor, parks super, city mgr, and every council person.

Not one person seems to think I have a legitimate complaint. My argument is I can't get the camper in without a tow vehicle. Also, a daily use fee should apply to people who aren't bringing in their own shower and toilet paper.......our facility fees should be included in the campsite rate.

So, we are staying in the "state park" across the lake where the rules are a little more aligned with my logic.

Am I out of line?
TexasFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasFamily View Post

But, the catch is your tow vehicle and any other vehicle you bring in is $10 per day unless you purchase an annual pass good for that "vehicle" only.....not your family or an individual.

So, we're up to $48 per day to have a little work week getaway. I emailed the mayor, parks super, city mgr, and every council person.

Not one person seems to think I have a legitimate complaint. My argument is I can't get the camper in without a tow vehicle. Also, a daily use fee should apply to people who aren't bringing in their own shower and toilet paper.......our facility fees should be included in the campsite rate.

So, we are staying in the "state park" across the lake where the rules are a little more aligned with my logic.

Am I out of line?
Apparently the local government thinks so.

Great thing is you can show your dislike for their way of doing business by taking yours else where.

You could always sent a letter to the local paper editor to air your grievance and state that the city will not be getting any of your money any time soon.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
RV Vagabond Jerry

$28+$10=$38 Or do you have 2 extra vehicles? I have no tow vehicle, but have a motorcycle in a carrier rack--would that count? Actually, I can see a daily parking fee for other vehicles, as you are taking up more space and creating more traffic. But I would shop around too.....money talks, money walks.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

Quote:

Am I out of line?
Just read your post and laughed. I thought about a bunch my big buddies in harness showing in the am of their most busy day and slowly pulling your rig into a site. It would cost you some beer to get us to do this and then some if you wanted it back out.

Please note, it is not beyond us to stop an injustice. I wish you better luck in your travels.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Admittedly, we are newbies to rving but have stayed at six different campsites and NONE charged for the tow vehicle. For an additional vehicle, yes but NOT for the tow vehicle!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. We wanted to set up camp during the week. Wife would use her car to go to work. I would do the same and the kid would go to school. But, the plans fell apart when our vehicles were going to be charged daily "use" fees.

Thought it a bit unreasonable. Anyway, we'll camp elsewhere.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

$48 seems like a deal. Then again, I am in New England, where we pay a premium to camp.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

We're learning. Like everything else, it's all perspective.

Locally, state parks are $30 nightly for 50 amp svc.

Best RV park around is $470 monthly plus electric.

So, a local city park for $28 nightly is fine. We draw the line at $10 per day per vehicle like we're rolling in for a day at the swimming area and using public showers and services.

All we asked for was to be treated like campers instead of "day users" and politics won the battle.

FYI: If we drove in with a motorhome, it wouldn't be charged the daily use fee, only the camping fee. It's just BS language.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol i just stayed at a great county park this summer,
Lake
Trout stream
Fhu
Walking trails
Great neighbors

Staggering $18.00 a night

Two weekends ago at a county park near a river and a bar "not sand" $10 a night.
50 and 30 amp
water

I'm glad I live in the midwest!

I think the tow vehicle deal is unreasonable as "stated"

Would you have stayed there had the cost been $48 a night without mention of the tow vehicle fee?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #10

Yeah, and local taxes pay for this "city" owned place already. Local RE taxes are high. $200k house is $6k per year. Just getting p**sed at the lack of common sense. 1 or 2 days might be ok, but 14 days is about $700 after tax. KEY WEST RATES!!!

Pick your battles I guess!?!?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
$28+$10=$38 Or do you have 2 extra vehicles? I have no tow vehicle, but have a motorcycle in a carrier rack--would that count? Actually, I can see a daily parking fee for other vehicles, as you are taking up more space and creating more traffic. But I would shop around too.....money talks, money walks.
Jerry is right- the math adds up to $38/night, not $48. The second vehicle is your option (albeit an expensive one).

And, motorhomes don't necessarily have tow vehicles so they're only paying $28 and not $38.

But, what I have most issue with - you spent time posting here, and emailing half of the people in your county... if you have that much time on your hands, for the love of Pete, pick something important.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, that's highway robbery!

Good for you for taking your business elsewhere!

While searching private RV campsites in Colorado, I've seen prices of $100 or more a night! (I would rather dry camp in a Walmart than pay that!).
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #13

The $48 comes from having their site ($28), TV ($10), plus the wife's work car ($10) at the site.

As a point of reference, Indiana state parks charge you $8 admission to the park when you initially drive through the gate (subsequent entries for that stay are free if you display your camping hang tag). This is on top of ever-increasing camping fees - last weekend was $90 for two nights of E/W/S. The $$ do add up, but we still see the value in the experience for us and the kids so it hasn't been a big deal.

With our can't get here soon enough trip to Ft Wilderness, any of the above seem like a bargain!!!!!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #14
(Dry Huunday)

Sounds like a case of "Towed" discrimination going on!

They must only want motorhomes and not us "trailer trash"

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #15

Mt. Madonna County Park, Santa Clara County, CA. last year $30/night for RV site with water and 30 amp service. Bundle of firewood $8.00.
This year, $40/night, firewood $13.00.
Dirt pad, poor water pressure, no WIFI, or cable. Nice setting in the trees at the top of the ridge between Gilroy and Watsonville. Just too much much money for what you get. It is all about the money. The county just keeps raising the costs with additional features. Will not stay there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #16

"with NO additional features"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Yeah, and local taxes pay for this "city" owned place already. Local RE taxes are high. $200k house is $6k per year. Just getting p**sed at the lack of common sense. 1 or 2 days might be ok, but 14 days is about $700 after tax. KEY WEST RATES!!!

Pick your battles I guess!?!?
Not to get too political, but states that do not have income tax have to pay for things some way. I would think a lot of that is collected in user type fees. My tax bill just came and my house appraises a little more than yours and our tax bill is about 1/5th what you state you pay. Not knowing exactly where you live may make a difference. We live just outside a very small town in NM. There are not a lot of services here like in a larger city but that is the price I pay for living here.

Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Jerry is right- the math adds up to $38/night, not $48. The second vehicle is your option (albeit an expensive one).

And, motorhomes don't necessarily have tow vehicles so they're only paying $28 and not $38.

But, what I have most issue with - you spent time posting here, and emailing half of the people in your county... if you have that much time on your hands, for the love of Pete, pick something important.

I asked a question on a public forum about a concern I had. I don't have a roof leak, or a stuck slide, or need an awning tie down. I asked people with experience if the fees were inline with the industry. I then spent time replying and thanking others who responded.

If you don't like my posts or don't like my free time, don't read them and keep your "personal" opinions about "what you have an issue with" to yourself.

My post was a legitimate question. Back off!!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #19
Senior Senior Member

Maybe I missed it but how much is the annual vehicle permit? We just got back from three weeks in Michigan and they have a similar vehicle fee at the state parks. It is something like $5 a day or $30 annual... so even I can do that math.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #20

Annual fee for a "city" park is $125 "per vehicle" not per family. It's actually assigned to a specific license plate.

Lloyd Park Grand Prairie TX