Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter43522 View Post
We are purchasing a new Surveyor 203RKLE in the spring (it's on order for April), and doing research. We believe we can get by just fine with the F150XLT, but would like your advice. Our specs:

Trailer: UVW 4685.00, ccc 2807 (GVWR 7492.00), which would make max hitch weight 900 approximately. 24'10" length, 11'3" height

The F150 we're looking at getting is the 3.5L V6 with HD payload and Max Tow packages, 3.55 axle ratio. (Super Crew 4x4)

We are estimating our needed payload to be 1400 for passengers and cargo, and if calculations serve (3035lb. payload-1400-900) we would be left with a 735lb available payload.

Towing capacity on the vehicle is 13800 (trailer is max 7492). GCVWR of both would be approximately 13556 of the max 19400. (calculations are a bit rough, but within ranges, I believe) We'll be using the recurve3 WDH

Is there any reason we should go with an F250? We're trying to balance better fuel economy, since the vehicle will be used for daily travel to work also, not just for towing. We realize the 250 cost is almost the same, but we are really debating whether it's worth the loss in fuel economy. We are curious if there is a significant issue with wind with the smaller truck, etc.

so far, the pros for the F150 is the fuel economy and more comfortable ride. Pros for the 250 are the power and weight (equating to better stability in towing)

Thank you for your help! Sorry, we're first-timers. (We're trying to do as much research as possible)
You'll love that surveyor couples coach. We have a 2016 Surveyor 201rbs coach. Just slightly smaller (2") than your TT. We pull it with a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5 eco-boost. Our TT loaded comes in at about 5400-5500 loaded with full water, two batteries, full propane and a tongue weight of approx 620 lbs. Out F-150 did a super job pulling it first over the Sierra's and then onto Colorado and it's 10,1000-11,000 peaks with ease. Passing slower vehicles going up 7-9% grades with power to spare. We personally don't want a coach any bigger as we like to stay in a lot of state and national parks, and spaces are QUITE limited for TT over 24' long. Our TV is rated a little less than yours being a 2015 model. In 2017, they beefed up the engine and towing capacity, but ours is still rated at 10,700 with same gearing as yours. Ours has been perfect for even 3 week long trips. You'll love it. Happy camping.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #42
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 27,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko 3052 View Post
Are you disputing my statement?
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 422
HDPP only comes with the 3.73 gears. Thicker frame, extra leaf springs, special wheels, lt tires, max trailer tow, 36 gallon tank. You can get katzkin leather in expensive if that is important later on. Mine is equipped with nav, step tailgate, 110v inverter, tow mirrors, remote start, yada yada. Not exactly a stripper. Yet it has a 2500 lb payload, 17200 gcwr, 11400 fiver, etc. A very stout 1/2 ton.
As an owner of the hdpp, it solves exactly what we need. Modest trailer or even small fiver, yet drives more or less like a half ton, my commute is 130 miles, I get 24 mpg with that. I only tow less than 10% of the time, and we only have a minilite, so not even close to any limits, even with an A.R.E. cap, and loaded for bear.
__________________
2019 F150 HDPP 4X4 3.5. 2500lb payload.
2018 Rockwood 2506
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Astatula, FL
Posts: 193
Our 243RBS isn't too far removed from your TT. We started pulling it with an F150 5L max tow. That did okay though it wasn't real happy with hills. We upgraded to an F250. Yes. It will cost you mileage. That said, the F250 is a much more authoritative TV. For my money, the F250 is the right way to go.

That said, a MaxTow EB with a proper configuration should be fine. Be sure to look at the towing guide to get an optimal configuration. You may want to re-think 4WD. That's a considerable amount of weight that counts against your capacity. Optimum towing with F150 is the 3.5L, 3.55 rear end, super crew, 4x2, 6.5" bed, Max Tow, and 20" wheels. Note that trim level upgrades reduce payload.

One essential upgrade is tow mirrors. Power extend/fold tow mirrors are awesome.
__________________
Mark Wilson

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.


TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1
Surveyor 203RKLS

Ok, We just returned from mountains out West, tow vehicle, 2016 F150 Platinum 3.5 Eco boost. Drove 5500 miles, the F150 had NO problems pulling this TT. Gas mileage averaged around 9mpg. No issues with swaying, (used the Equalizer WDH).
You are going to love this camper! We even ran into snow and cold, (Deadwood temp dropped to 19*), with no issues..
I too debated with the F150 vs F250, but the 3.5 turbo has plenty of power to pull this camper. Couldn’t be happier.
TimNeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 23
I have had 3 3.5 EcoBoost great engines lots of power my only complaint is the suspension it's not ment to take weight U need to beef it up with Timbrens or Air Bags if your in a position to do it go with any of the 3/4 ton trucks it feels much more comfortable
wspracklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9
As long as you stay on flat land you will be ok. If you come out west you will be white knuckling it most of the way as you go up a hill at 20mph max with that TV. I learned the hard way. Don't be under powered for even one situation.
jonboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #48
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 27,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
As long as you stay on flat land you will be ok. If you come out west you will be white knuckling it most of the way as you go up a hill at 20mph max with that TV. I learned the hard way. Don't be under powered for even one situation.
Since you didn't quote who you're responding to, if you're saying this to the OP, about towing with a F150 3.5 EcoBoost, I couldn't disagree more.
I tow a heavier and longer TT, with an older F150 3.5 EcoBoost. And I've towed over the Sierras, Cascades, Siskiyous and Rockies with my combo.
ZERO white knuckling, while staying even with the diesel towers.
Would i prefer a bigger truck with a diesel engine, Yes, if i moved up to a 5th Wheel.
But my F150 tows my 26ft 6500lbs TT perfectly fine out West.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:38 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
LittleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,114
I would recommend the F250 over the F150 for many of the same reasons already posted by others. If you can swing it go with a diesel. You won't regret it in my opinion.

Love my Chevy 2500HD diesel. Fuel economy roughly -> 9-11 mpg towing, 16-17 around town and 19-21 highway. Rides extremely well and was my daily driver till I became more relaxed (fully retired ).
__________________

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:47 AM   #50
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you disputing my statement?
Since your thread came in just after mine, I assume you were directing that at me, but maybe not. No, I'm not disputing your statement. Just agreeing and giving more validity to your statement. The guy who commented that he'd be white knuckling it out west obviously hasn't driven a 3.5 eco-boost. Plenty of power for towing up to 7500 lbs. Truck is rated to pull 10,700 but I wouldn't go over 7,500 lbs. Mine is only around 5500 lbs with full water, two heavy batteries (6-volt) and full propane. Tongue weight about 620 lbs. the fictitious dry tongue weight was listed at 425 lbs. That's a laugh. I did however beef up rear suspension with Timbrens and a good WDH. Happy towing.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:25 AM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter43522 View Post
We are purchasing a new Surveyor 203RKLE in the spring (it's on order for April), and doing research. We believe we can get by just fine with the F150XLT, but would like your advice. Our specs:

Trailer: UVW 4685.00, ccc 2807 (GVWR 7492.00), which would make max hitch weight 900 approximately. 24'10" length, 11'3" height

The F150 we're looking at getting is the 3.5L V6 with HD payload and Max Tow packages, 3.55 axle ratio. (Super Crew 4x4)

We are estimating our needed payload to be 1400 for passengers and cargo, and if calculations serve (3035lb. payload-1400-900) we would be left with a 735lb available payload.

Towing capacity on the vehicle is 13800 (trailer is max 7492). GCVWR of both would be approximately 13556 of the max 19400. (calculations are a bit rough, but within ranges, I believe) We'll be using the recurve3 WDH

Is there any reason we should go with an F250? We're trying to balance better fuel economy, since the vehicle will be used for daily travel to work also, not just for towing. We realize the 250 cost is almost the same, but we are really debating whether it's worth the loss in fuel economy. We are curious if there is a significant issue with wind with the smaller truck, etc.

so far, the pros for the F150 is the fuel economy and more comfortable ride. Pros for the 250 are the power and weight (equating to better stability in towing)

Thank you for your help! Sorry, we're first-timers. (We're trying to do as much research as possible)
Scooter, you've received a deluge of responses on your choices. You'll do just fine with the F-150 and 3.5 eco-boost and your new Surveyor 203RKLE. And when you're not towing the trailer, you'll enjoy the F-150 a lot better than the F-250 while getting better gas mileage and smoother ride. We who own and drive an F-150 couldn't be happier. Enjoy both and Happy Camping.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:35 AM   #52
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 27,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
Since your thread came in just after mine, I assume you were directing that at me, but maybe not. No, I'm not disputing your statement. Just agreeing and giving more validity to your statement. The guy who commented that he'd be white knuckling it out west obviously hasn't driven a 3.5 eco-boost. Plenty of power for towing up to 7500 lbs. Truck is rated to pull 10,700 but I wouldn't go over 7,500 lbs. Mine is only around 5500 lbs with full water, two heavy batteries (6-volt) and full propane. Tongue weight about 620 lbs. the fictitious dry tongue weight was listed at 425 lbs. That's a laugh. I did however beef up rear suspension with Timbrens and a good WDH. Happy towing.
my "disputing" post clearly quoted koko 3052, not you.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:55 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 30
Welcome and I wish you happy travels in the spring
I went through the same questions in my search 4 years ago
I have a 2015 F150, max payload (2,900 #) and Max Tow (11,900#) with the 3.5 Eco. 4*2, super crew and 6.5’ box. Granted the towing specs have gotten better over the last few years. The only other difference between us is I have the 3.73 rear end.
This is my everyday vehicle so gas mileage is a consideration. Love my truck pulling have never had a problem with my 30’ five’r.
If you have lots of money, by all means do the F-250, and you’re not driving it to work everyday. The fuel bill will kill you.
Slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 361
We went with the F150 SCREW short bed just so it would fit in the garage (yes it is close). Payload is 1856 from the sticker. 22-25mpg commuting depending on the season. Ride is excellent with or without trailer (yes ours is lighter than OP). We've been through the Rocky mtns the last four year with no white knuckle runs. No problems holding speed up or down hill. Since you plan to have the trailer a while I'd pass on the F250 for now. That kind of thing depends on your personal replacement schedule. Plans DO change though.....
Do remember to check the settings on the WDH. Our dealer set our up close but a small tweak made large difference in the towing experience.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 30
I have a question for you regarding your Timbrens...
I’ve got the max payload on my F150, and I’m looking at either the Timbrens or the Hellwig helper springs.
My TV is never riding on the bump stops but would like to reduce the squat just a tiny bit.
Did you look at the Hellwig helpers?
Slevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
As long as you stay on flat land you will be ok. If you come out west you will be white knuckling it most of the way as you go up a hill at 20mph max with that TV. I learned the hard way. Don't be under powered for even one situation.
What were you underpowered with? The ecoboost 375 hp and nearly 500 ft lbs of torque is pretty impressive.
__________________
2019 F150 HDPP 4X4 3.5. 2500lb payload.
2018 Rockwood 2506
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Groveport, OH
Posts: 15
The F-250 Is much better for towing Long-Term

I used to own a 2013 F-150 Platinum with the HD towing package and got decent gas mileage. However, after doing a lot of reading online about towing with the V6 and eco-boost I quickly determined that anything above 5,000 pounds would drain away any fuel savings and increase instability when towing.

While it's true that you would save a reasonable amount of fuel cost over the long run when you weren't towing, you also potentially increase the towing instability, not to mention the added strain on the V6 engine. At the end of the day I would be more concerned about towing stability and engine strain above all else and the F-250 would always come out on top with those considerations.

Another consideration is that you would most likely wear out the F-150 V6 engine before it's scheduled end-of-life and if you did get something larger and heavier you would need to replace the tow vehicle too. With the F-250 with the HD tow package you potentially have a vehicle that would last thousands of miles and many years longer.

While I really like the features included on the new 2020 F-150 trucks, I wouldn't hesitate to get the F-250 if I were in your shoes at this point in time.
MLJLC4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJLC4473 View Post
I used to own a 2013 F-150 Platinum with the HD towing package and got decent gas mileage. However, after doing a lot of reading online about towing with the V6 and eco-boost I quickly determined that anything above 5,000 pounds would drain away any fuel savings and increase instability when towing.

While it's true that you would save a reasonable amount of fuel cost over the long run when you weren't towing, you also potentially increase the towing instability, not to mention the added strain on the V6 engine. At the end of the day I would be more concerned about towing stability and engine strain above all else and the F-250 would always come out on top with those considerations.

Another consideration is that you would most likely wear out the F-150 V6 engine before it's scheduled end-of-life and if you did get something larger and heavier you would need to replace the tow vehicle too. With the F-250 with the HD tow package you potentially have a vehicle that would last thousands of miles and many years longer.

While I really like the features included on the new 2020 F-150 trucks, I wouldn't hesitate to get the F-250 if I were in your shoes at this point in time.
The 150 comes in so many configurations that two are never the same. For instance a platinum can have a payload of less than 1200 lbs, where the hdpp is more than double. From cowboy cadillac to workhorse and everything in between.
The two are not comparable.
__________________
2019 F150 HDPP 4X4 3.5. 2500lb payload.
2018 Rockwood 2506
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:13 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 2,540
I'm "only" towing 6000-7000-ish pounds with my 3.5EB Expedition and 3.31 axles. It's much more competent than my 5.4V8 Expedition with 3.73 axles towing the same trailer.

Not sure I'd want a F250 as a daily driver nor, to be frank, a F150 though. Only tow half a dozen times a year so towing only needs to be adequate. The rest of the time the truck is a family hauler and makes several more long distance trips without the trailer than with. All depends on your use.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,048
I have a 2018 F-150 Platinum Max Tow 3.5EB, before that a 2016(but it was a POS), and before that a 2014(totaled in an ice storm) and all three towed the same 274BH Coleman with a 7600 GVWR.

Up and over the Ike to Utah it did great, that 3.5 is a power house, just one thing to be aware of when climbing mountains, Do NOT use 85 octane, TRUST ME ON THAT!

The 2014 had 3.15 gears on a RWD, and no power issues, PERIOD, held 65 MPH going up the grades, and this is with the 6 speed. The 2018 does even better since it is a Gen 2 EB with more power and the 10 speed. You will not be suffering from power at all.

You will be using a lot of gas though, 7-9 MPG on average, this is true for all three trucks.

Now in comparison, I also have a 2012 F350 with the 6.7 Powerstroke. Towing the same trailer, except not over the IKE, the MPG is 11 MPG doing 70MPH to 13 MPG doing 60 MPH. Handling though, the F350 hands down handles towing far better than the F150 ever will. That mass just keeps it planted on the road and you can barely tell the trailer is back there.

Dont assume that the HDPP will handle the same as the Superduty because it's GVWR is where the curb weight starts on the SD trucks. It will handle a little better due to its stiffer tires and suspension, and longer wheel base, but will still handle like a 1/2 ton truck.

The other consideration is your vehicle registration costs. When you go above 8001 in some states, and 8500 in others, the registration fee jump up and some states require annual safety inspections. The F250 falls into this category, so if you were to go to the Superduty, you would be better off going to the F350 instead. Might as well get as much bang for the buck.

The truck you are considering will do fine for your current needs, and since you are ordering it, I would assume you plan to keep it a while. Also consider how often you will actually be towing vs driving the truck empty. As a Daily Driver, the Superduty can be grinding, especially if you have a long commute like mine(pre-covid) 120 miles a day.

We planned to upgrade trailers so went to the F350 so we could get a 5th wheel, but we also needed a spare vehicle since Daughter #1 is getting her license soon. EEEK I still have my 2018 Platinum and wont be getting rid of that for at least another 8 years or more, love that truck! But if the Platinum can tow a 7600 GVWR, 28' long trailer, the HDPP should have NO issue with what you are getting.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f150, f250

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.