Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Opinions on SUV TV roof-mount bike carriers

Folks,

Looking for advice/opinions/reviews of roof-mounted bike carriers. Our 2004 Yukon XL 2500 has factory roof rack and crossbars, and I'd prefer to use them. Will only be carrying two bikes. I have a 29" wheel model and my wife a 26". Prefer a rack where we don't have to pull the front tire. Have looked at Thule and Yakima, any tertiary brands to consider? We're not hardcore, knowledgeable cyclists, just enjoy riding light trails, bike paths, rail trail type stuff.

Thanks!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Wow, I thought for sure some folks would have experience here.

Our mind may have been made up with a pair of like new Thule racks that went up on Craigslist last night for the price of one new one. Going to check them out tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Team

You really can't go wrong with either.
I tend to go with Yakima, since they are a US company and Thule is not.
but both are the best, at what they do, especially roof racks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

I've used Yakima racks on various vehicles for around 25 years now and have never had any issues with them. I carry bikes and a canoe at various times (sometimes at the same time) and would not consider another brand. Your mileage may vary

- Randy
Old 02-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yakima racks here, also. I have used both the front fork mount style, and those that don't require the wheel to be removed, and much prefer the front fork mount system. I borrowed a older style Yakima rack system that both wheels were left in place, and every time we stopped, I would have to re-position the bikes, as they would be leaning. Maybe the newer styles do a better job of supporting the bike....don't know. I am now using the Yakima CopperHeads that I used as a roof mount on my Blazer on my truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Racks.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	69816

Another advantage of the front fork mount system, is that it rides lower than the wheel on version. Drop the seat down, and you can probably have about a foot less height. I know that doesn't matter while pulling a conventional camper, but it would while pulling a fold down camper or not pulling a camper at all.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #6

Quite a significant drop in fuel economy with all these roof type racks. Up to 3 MPG in some vehicles.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the insights all! I think if the Thule ones don't measure up, I'll go with the Yakima carriers. Reason for going with front wheel on carrier is largely due to the fact that when we camp the cargo area of the Yukon is packed with our clean clothes and consumables. DW isn't big on tossing dirty wheels in back... I don't, however, like the idea of constantly needing to adjust them. DW also doesn't like messing with the wheel... Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Quite a significant drop in fuel economy with all these roof type racks. Up to 3 MPG in some vehicles.
I could make your eyeballs spin with a discussion of aerodynamics and drag, induced eddies and turbulence! However, makes no difference whatsoever with our setup as we're rolling 12'-3" road to top of A/C. So there's already significant frontal area, though profiled, lending resistance, and it would be only a minor variation over hauling our two kayaks on their J-racks. With the 8.1L, it 10.3 mpg average no matter what.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
I think if the Thule ones don't measure up, I'll go with the Yakima carriers. Reason for going with front wheel on carrier is largely due to the fact that when we camp the cargo area of the Yukon is packed with our clean clothes and consumables. DW isn't big on tossing dirty wheels in back...
Yakima Wheel Fork

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Nice. Had no idea...

Tags
bike, mount, roo, roof