Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #21

GPS's are GREAT... provided that a LOT of 'common sense' is used along with them. IMO
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
I think all of us have made some really stupid mistakes in our lives, and I bet that driver is in disbelief at what happened.
I just hope nobody got hurt.
Yep, all it takes is a moment's distraction. I once tried to drive the car in the garage forgeting about the bikes in the bike rack on top of the car . . DOH!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #23

A few ago the north tunnel at talledaga was 12ft with a incline at the exit. We went there after the race and watched the drunks tear units off the roofs. Security would tell them about this but whay the hay.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yep, all it takes is a moment's distraction. I once tried to drive the car in the garage forgeting about the bikes in the bike rack on top of the car . . DOH!
I put the remote out of reach if I have the bikes on my truck. But knowing me, I will open the door via other means, get in the truck and promptly back up.

This whole thread relates to the fact that we have to pay attention all of the time, especially while driving our RVs. As I get older, that is harder and harder to do....stuff happens.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #25

What a bunch of morons first ruel is to know your rig bridges are usually marked
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #26

BTW folks, lots of bridges are 'curved or sloped' at the ends. So where are we supposed to assume the bridge measurement was taken? I try to drive through the tallest segments. FWIW
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #27

Like I always say "you can't fix stupid"
Engelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #28

A few years ago, out in California (with the car), was on a squirelly road that was a short cut to the coast. Later in the week back where the road started, was talking to someone who said a couple times a week, a semi gets hung up on the road because of sharp curves. Thats where the GPS takes them (ours did too). Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #29

I call all this job security!!!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #30

Seriously this is no accident. It's just pure STUPIDITY. You have to be an absolute MORON to not see that coming. Even if the bridge had no posted signs you have to have at least an ounce of brain that tells you "hmmmmm I don't think I can clear that".

THIS could at least have helped.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #31

My (Gutter Man) finaly bought a New enclosed van for his spouting business,he was so proud! He returned the next day and the top front of his new van was tore off. His boys tryed to go thru Mac Dees drive thru. He had it repaired and later in the summer he came to another job and the van was tore up agin! I ask if the boys were at MDs agin,he replied (Do you think they are Stupid,this time it was (Colonel Sanders). True Story Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #32

Spend $250 for a trucker's GPS...no way! I'll just run my trailer tires at 10 PSI to get the rig to ride lower.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #33

Although this is an extreme and catastrophic example of not having spacial awareness, I think we have all had mishaps caused by not paying attention to something.
Whether backing into something, taking a turn too soon and clipping something or a similar example that caused minor damage to our rigs.
I myself was going around a post lined loop at an rv park and didn't notice that one of the posts was about 2 feet closer to the road than the rest. I rubbed it causing one of my TT fender flares to pull loose. I don't think this makes me a moron or stupid by any means.
Even though it's impossible to 100% aware of 100% of the things going on around you, I hope I NEVER find myself in that poor guy's situation.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #34

Too bad, and a possible solution to some of the issue discussed here--

FYI: For every RV we've had we've listed the specificics, via a label maker, near the speed indicator of the vehicle or tow vehicle. It's large, bold print sticks out.

It details the height and width, the weight of the rig(s), and the length in Ft/IN and Metric. There isn't any guesswork needed to convert, and I don't have to remember what any of this is, just to read and compare.

Obviously, this won't solve everyone's issues, but....
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #35

we had this thing happening very often with delivery companies at our highrise building. Our canopy is about 6 inches higher than this bridge 8 foot clearance and I gess it does not sound a bell in your mind when it happens. One day a UHaul truck was badly damaged by a tenant that rented the truck. The guy probably always drove cars in his life and did not pay attention that he was driving a taller vehicle than his car.Many peoples that were carying items on their roofrack like canoes went through the same misadventures.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #36
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Spend $250 for a trucker's GPS...no way! I'll just run my trailer tires at 10 PSI to get the rig to ride lower.
Yeah! that will help clear that bridge. How tall are those tires?? Consider the wear by riding on the sidewalls, plus stopping to pump them back up or the cost of a air compressor. Besides riding on those under-inflated tires may lead to a future blowout from the stress placed on the sidewalls. Picture the damage that might do. The best way to avoid this kind of thing is to never be on that road to start with. That $250 GPS is way cheaper than dealing with any of the above potentials. Not too mention the safety concerns as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #37

cfsoistman, Big Vic was joking about running his tires flat.
I think that was more than just a bit obvious, but like the bridge, I suppose some just miss the obvious.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
cfsoistman, Big Vic was joking about running his tires flat.
I think that was more than just a bit obvious, but like the bridge, I suppose some just miss the obvious.
Sorry I didn't see it that way!
I didn't figure he was referring to the original picture but the video where the difference wasn't as severe but still took out the antenna and AC unit. Some people do unusual things that aren't too smart but think they'll get away with it. Some have been posted on here. YouTube has a ton of them. Everyone wants to save a buck and I guess had he used a or I would have thought otherwise. But thank you for setting me straight. I do!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #39

We have a couple of low railroad overpasses here in my area of Middle TN. I would hate to try and drive under them with my TT now. Looking at the photos on this thread has made me aware of a few things, one is to stay on the main roads, and check out my route before I take off on a trip. I don't believe the road that has the low overpasses has any warning signs at a point where you could turn around before getting there. A lot of the roads and the railroad overpasses were made back with they had horse and buggies traveling them. My neighbor has a 5th wheel that he pulls, he bought him one of the GPS that has been mentioned.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #40

It might help if you take your camper out on a date and get to know her, if she is too tall then you might suggest not to wear high heels. The first thing is.....to know how tall your rig is and don't take someones elses word for it.

I bet right now that 80% of the members on this forum do not know how tall there rigs really are, forget what the book says, I am talking about a real numbers.....and if you had changed the tire size this could make a small difference.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote