Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #1

Ouch that hurts!

When we pulled into camp two days ago, I noticed that our steps seemed to be sitting higher than usual. The sight was sloped, and I guess once we leveled the trailer it brought the step height up quite a bit. I noticed it right away, and our little dog was also having trouble. I tried adding a plastic step stool, but she would not use it., and it seemed kind of flimsy.
Then today, I stepped out of the trailer, forgetting all about the higher step, ...went crashing down on my ankle, ended up in the emergency room and I have fractured a bone in my foot.
Now I am on crutches, Tylenol 3 and my vacation is to include bed rest and ice until I can walk again, plus it was my driving foot and I am stuck in a campground with my two daughters, and dependent on the kindness of strangers to pick us up groceries etc. Until my older son arrives in two weeks.
So since I was too foolish to ask before I fell....I will humbly ask now... What is the safe and best solution, when your rv step is too high due to being camped on a slope.... Thanks...

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Ouch is right! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

After many surgeries on boot feet and ankles I learned to drive with my left foot but I don't recommend it. Besides the safety reasons and being on meds the downside is that your backside will really, really ache from your left leg & foot reaching over for a long period of time.

Until your older son arrives try to keep a shopping list of things you need to pick up at the store.

Take care and stay off that foot for a while.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

I built a step out of 2x4's and plywood and covered it with indoor outdoor carpet. Maybe a lil rednecked...but it works for us...short legged wife mostly.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #4

Step for slope or short legged folks.

See in this picture the carpeted step that I built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5076downsizedx2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	6777  
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about your foot. I hope you heal quickly.

I use one of these;
Adjustable Height Safety Step - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

Each leg is adjustable so you can level the platform on uneven ground.

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #6

"to include bed rest and ice " mmmmm sounds nice.....hope the ice bit includes the odd shot of gin and tonic Sorry this happened to you and trust you get real well soon!

The most dangerous thing about an RV are those steps for sure, its time some one came up with a practical solution to that bottom step being too high or too low. No matter how much we level its always an inch or two out and thats enough to throw you off balance.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I needed a step at our campsite in Quantico Marine Base (and thanks for the reminder as we are headed there next week).

I made one out of the Left over Lego leveler blocks. We carry 2 sets of blocks and a top cover set, so I just made do. It worked out so well we will do it again this year.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have read of others using an exercise step when the 1st step is too high off of the ground. I intend to get 1 for those needed situations.

If you have an automatic transmission, just plop that right leg across the transmission hump, and use your left foot.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Anacortesians

In the last CW catalog that came in the mail there were several styles of auxiliary steps, including the one with independently adjusted legs.

Our elderly Lab has real problems with the steps. Since the rig is a basement-style Class A, there are 5 steps. If we have to level with any significant nose high attitude relative to the slope, it's an even bigger problem. DW also has issues if the bottom step is a long way up, so we'll probably be getting and auxiliary step this season.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #10

Thanks for the warm wishes and advice. I think I will ask someone to build me a plywood step, but first I will will have someone check Walmart for me for the aerobic step... That seems like a lightweight solution...
On the positive side... This will be one vacation where I really do get a rest, rather than running around exhausting myself with sight seeing activities

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #11

Ouch is right

Ouch is right, sorry about the fall. Our first trip a week or so ago we ended up in a spot that had one set of steps pretty high. The mother-in-law was with us and we had to help her in and out due to the first step being so high. Got me thinking about an extra step to have for those just in case it's needed times.

I see several steps at stores and in catalogs that would probably work and be lighter than a plywood one. I would just want to make sure it was sturdy and did not shift easily. Stepping down onto a step that decides to move would not be good either.
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #12

I carry three cinder blocks in the bed of my truck. They come in handy for several things, but I mostly use them as steps and then cover them with a simple "front door mat" to keep from pinching toes.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #13

I bought an aerobic exercise step at Walmart today. $40, but it is very sturdy, and at least it is black.
The only ones I was familiar with were at the YMCA, which were hot pink and turquoise .. LoL

One thing about getting injured on vacation... You find out in a hurry how user friendly your trailer really is...
So far, not to bad, but we are looking to trade up next year, and I think I will look for one with a bigger bathroom.

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #14

Rockwood 8293rkss has a HUGE bathroom.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #15

I will check it out.. Thanks

Lady Wendolyn

Manitoba Canada
Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Hopefully you are getting lots of help. Be sure to take care of that foot and hopefully get back on both feet soon.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote