Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Our dilemma... What would you do

So we usually go camping our first trip this weekend memorial weekend. Last year our son was 8 months old so easy to take care of. This year almost two and just a little wild man cant sit still for more than two seconds. The weather here in SW Wyoming has not been to great lately. And this weekend not looking so great, probably be decent in the morning but by noon windy possible rain showers that would last into the evening and kinda cold probably only a high around 60 but with the wind can feel like mid 40s not ideal for my son. So with a crazy and extremely active child sitting inside in a small toy hauler probably isn't going to work out so well. We would also like to take at least one more full day to work around the yard and finish up a few projects. We don't know what to do. We are on the fence about both. If we choose to stay home plan on trying to go fishing or go for a sidexside ride. Probably to much rambling on we are just stuck.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Being stuck inside an RV or TT with a nearly two year old when it's rainy and windy does not sound like fun. However, I wouldn't go by the weather report on Monday. Keep your options open because if the weather breaks it could be a ball. If you do go, take loads of toys and distractions such as Play-Doh, coloring books, building blocks, loads of books to read, DVDs to watch, enough to keep him busy all day if necessary. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #3

I've been there. Not too long again either. As a baby my son was super easy to travel with. Then about 2-3 the difficulty level increased. I wouldn't bail on the trip. I'd just realign my expectations a little and as MNtraveler stated, bring as many things for him to do as weight and space would allow. Maybe try and plan a side trip you can drive to as well. If nothing else he'll sleep a little on the ride if anything like my kid was.

Lastly if you stay home, inevitably the weather will be awesome.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Always Learning

Get a coin and flip it.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Took our 2 and 3 year olds tent camping one memorial day (long ago) and it rained most of the weekend. Still had a great time. You will figure it out. And at the worst you have a long weekend coming so cheer up.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

As the father of 3 boys, now young men, I would suggest going. If stuck inside it will be a good opportunity for him to learn at times he needs to be mellow. As suggested, bring legos, books and other small items. If he doesn't learn that lesson now, sitting in a boring classroom is going to be a serious challenge!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

All great suggestions thanks. We are leaning more and more to going. I went and got the propane tanks filled yesterday and it got me excited.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #8

I wouldn't bail if there's a chance you can spend SOME time outside. I would do what I used to do (back in the day) - hit the $1 store and buy various toys, crafts, NEW stuff. I would wrap each project in a brown paper lunch sack, so it had to be opened. They were the 'rainy day' goodies. Only got to open one - and play with it - if it was actively raining. Takes the sting out of being stuck inside a bit.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

Our grandson is 3 and been camping since he was a month old would not dream of not going just because of the weather unless a hurricane was forecast to hit the area.. The weather people are so often wrong....................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

Our four kids were born just over a year apart of each other. They went camping in our Jayco pop-up the summer after they were born. Our youngest was hiking with us and his three siblings in his baby shoes at Rocky National park. It's good training for the future and our experience would suggest you should never waste a day,weekend or vacation period when you can spend it as a family out in your camper!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
wyo 700....sorry for your pain.
This is why I pick puppies over kids!

Is your camper close to home where you could maybe do some "backyard" camping? We camper is just a mile down the road form us. The site has no power or running water. We often go down there to work on the RV and even knock back a couple of cold ones. Heck we have even boon docked there as well.

What ever you decide ...have fun!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Is there a Grandma close by? I know I would love it. Then you can honeymoon! Grandmas lived way far away when ours was younger so we took him everywhere. We just had to keep an eagle eye on him. If it was raining, we would play in the rain. That was about 40 years ago and did not have a TT.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

Am I missing something here. Rain !!! Side X Side !!! Mud !!!
Heck yeah I would go camping!!!
Playing at the play ground while raining as well. Can always come in to warm up. ☔️
Camperstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #14

We have our grandaughter with us many weekends in our fifth wheel. Been doing this since she was two....good weather..bad weather..whatever. We seasonal for six months and watch her most weekends.
A good selection of age appropriate toys is needed but IXNAY the PlayDoh...unless you use it outside. My grandaughter is a playdoh fiend but getting that out of a carpet sucks especially if it gets stepped on and pushed in...and I don't care how careful you are...shnibletts of that stuff get everywhere.

DVD's are great if he likes certain Disney or Pixar movies.

But best of all is letting him go ape outside. They don't care about the temps...we care about the temps. My grandaughter will go and play in the playground at our campground even if it was 33 and sleet...granted we would not let her but...unless it is really cold..so what. All of us survived the cold and when I was a kid our parents tossed us out in any weather to play....get outside and play and shut off the TV ( all 8 channels of it)
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #15

Good foul weather clothing is a must at any age. Walking/running/splashing in the wind and rain burns energy. That means sleep!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

You guys are making this decision seem much easier. Sounds like we just need to go. Heck with it. We'll figure it out.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Old 05-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
Site Team

I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my holiday camping plans. This has happened more than once and when it does I ask myself two questions:

Am I OK with going camping as planned?
Am I OK with not going camping?

I usually end up with one "yes" and one "not sure/no" answers. I will make a decision and sleep on it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
Senior Gold Member

Kids in poor weather camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
So we usually go camping our first trip this weekend memorial weekend. Last year our son was 8 months old so easy to take care of. This year almost two and just a little wild man cant sit still for more than two seconds. The weather here in SW Wyoming has not been to great lately. And this weekend not looking so great, probably be decent in the morning but by noon windy possible rain showers that would last into the evening and kinda cold probably only a high around 60 but with the wind can feel like mid 40s not ideal for my son. So with a crazy and extremely active child sitting inside in a small toy hauler probably isn't going to work out so well. We would also like to take at least one more full day to work around the yard and finish up a few projects. We don't know what to do. We are on the fence about both. If we choose to stay home plan on trying to go fishing or go for a sidexside ride. Probably to much rambling on we are just stuck.
When our kids were small we used cold and rainy days to play board games and do crafts. We would put on our rain gear and going exploring or jump in the car and visit a nearby town. There is always music and TV but they are what you do st home. I would sometimes put up a tarp near the fire place and built a fire or set the dining tent up and turn it into a place to play or read. Reading stories and spending quality time with little ones while camping in cold or weather weather can be creating a great memory with all its warts and bumps.
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #19

I say go camping, those things at the house will be there when you get back. I have a 4 year old and she does not even ask about the TV, I pad when we are camping even in bad weather. We will just play games and tell stories and wait for the weather to get better.
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #20
Retired

Maybe it's time to convert the toy hauler to a play room for your 2yr old for those rainy days....been there...our boys remember those days tenting in the rain and fog...great memories.
Happy Trails