Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 79
Our First Season (A few tips..?)

Our trailer (A 2014 Wildwood KQBTS) is still at the dealer we purchased it from. Was on their lot all winter. Will be getting towed to the campground on Friday! I am a bit nervous, given that this is my first experience owning a trailer, but I have attempted to learn a lot from these forums and Youtube videos. I feel reasonably prepared.

-From what I can gather from these forums, people seem to be mixed regarding the sliders being put in when away from the trailer during the summer. The mechanic I spoke to today said he recommends always bringing them in when the trailer is not occupied.

-I am also a bit paranoid about maintaining the roof. Tips for this? From what I can tell, I just need to regularly get up there and check things out and clean from time to time, all the while looking for any problem areas.

I guess at this point I am curious to see what your top 3 or 4 tips might be to a new owner. Thanks for your help!

joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Tampa
Posts: 57
Become obsessed with ALL of your seals. Water is your enemy. Seals on roof seams, vents, A/C, around windows, tail & running lights, slide out seals... Secondly, keep your tires out of the dirt as much as possible. In storage I have my tires on 1" rubber mats. Lastly, buy a cover if not covered in storage.
jeffandrews55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
Our trailer (A 2014 Wildwood KQBTS) is still at the dealer we purchased it from. Was on their lot all winter. Will be getting towed to the campground on Friday! I am a bit nervous, given that this is my first experience owning a trailer, but I have attempted to learn a lot from these forums and Youtube videos. I feel reasonably prepared.

-From what I can gather from these forums, people seem to be mixed regarding the sliders being put in when away from the trailer during the summer. The mechanic I spoke to today said he recommends always bringing them in when the trailer is not occupied.

-I am also a bit paranoid about maintaining the roof. Tips for this? From what I can tell, I just need to regularly get up there and check things out and clean from time to time, all the while looking for any problem areas.

I guess at this point I am curious to see what your top 3 or 4 tips might be to a new owner. Thanks for your help!
Buy a Progressive Industries EMS and use it religiously.
Water infiltration kills trailers. Look for issues and seal them.
Keep in mind, your tires are probably 3 - 4 years old now. Keep an eye on them.
As a seasonal site holder, my slides go out in April and come in, in October for the winter. Slides are made to be out and are always out at dealers lot, even during winter.
Enjoy and
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Retired
 
MainelyUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sundeland, MA
Posts: 692
x2 on the above info....purchase toppers for the slide outs they will help in keeping debris and water (rain) off the roof of the slides...just don't leave the awning out when you are gone.

Enjoy

Happy Trails
__________________
2017 Columbus 340RK
GMC Sierra 3500HD Z71 6.6L Duramax/Allison
MainelyUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
Our trailer (A 2014 Wildwood KQBTS) is still at the dealer we purchased it from. Was on their lot all winter. Will be getting towed to the campground on Friday! I am a bit nervous, given that this is my first experience owning a trailer, but I have attempted to learn a lot from these forums and Youtube videos. I feel reasonably prepared.

-From what I can gather from these forums, people seem to be mixed regarding the sliders being put in when away from the trailer during the summer. The mechanic I spoke to today said he recommends always bringing them in when the trailer is not occupied.

-I am also a bit paranoid about maintaining the roof. Tips for this? From what I can tell, I just need to regularly get up there and check things out and clean from time to time, all the while looking for any problem areas.

I guess at this point I am curious to see what your top 3 or 4 tips might be to a new owner. Thanks for your help!
Keep it simple while you develop your camping style.

Use checklists - create your own or borrow from other members. Checklist for setting/breaking camp, getting ready & loading the trailer, etc..

Other RVers are a great resource for assistance. Most are eager to help out another RVer especially new owners.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Life happens and someday when you are sitting around the campfire telling stories from the early days of being an RV owner you will be laughing about it.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 621
Obsess about enjoying yourself..... it's camping! Check your roof and seals a couple of times a year. Slides in or out.......your choice.
__________________
04 Ram 3500
07 Ram 3500 X2
10 Ram 3500 Laramie
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
lugoismad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 459
Everyone has something they are obsessed over.

There are guys over on bobistheoilguy.com that obsess over the oil in their truck, how far they can go on a change, and send samples off to be analyzed.

I've seen forums full of people obsessing over which batteries will get their high end flashlight just a few more minutes of power.

And here, you have the folks who are obsessed over proper weight loads for vehicles, types of tires, electrical (as you saw, someone recommending a nearly $300 EMS unit for your trailer), all sorts of stuff.

All I can recommend is take all of it with a grain of salt. Read and use your noodle.

As MainelyUS pointed out - dealers leave slides out 24/7. You'll find some people here that religiously lubricate and bring their slides in for storage. Other people just don't care.

Water infiltration IS the biggest killer of campers. Go to a used dealer and start looking at older ones. Tons of nasty water problems. Easiest thing you can do is give your camper and its roof a good scrub once or twice a year and keep an eye on the roof. Any cracks, gaps, etc fill in with self leveling lap sealant. Its pricey, but its designed for this application and it works well. I had to reseal around my fridge vent and a few other things when I bought my 9 year old camper last year.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northen IL
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
-From what I can gather from these forums, people seem to be mixed regarding the sliders being put in when away from the trailer during the summer. The mechanic I spoke to today said he recommends always bringing them in when the trailer is not occupied.
I've been a seasonal for quite a few years and in my experience, very few people bring their slides in every weekend. Probably 90 - 95% of people leave them out all summer long.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 452
First Season

I have three lists:
1) Things to be sure and load (such as bathroom supplies)
2) Things to DO before pulling out (such as fill fresh water)
3) Things to do before leaving on the trip (such as pull in the slides)

You will be surprised at 1) How long your list grows over time and 2) How much more you can enjoy your camping if you don't forget to bring the toilet paper.

If you would like a copy of my lists, PM me.

My biggest words of caution are check your tires before every trip. FEEL of the tread, looking for tread separation. Check your tire pressure before every trip. Check your tread depth before every trip. If your tires are over 5 years old, replace them, regardless of how much tread is left. Steel belted tires RUST. Then the belts break and the tire blows.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Member
 
RudysWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Collierville, TN
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I have three lists:
1) Things to be sure and load (such as bathroom supplies)
2) Things to DO before pulling out (such as fill fresh water)
3) Things to do before leaving on the trip (such as pull in the slides)

You will be surprised at 1) How long your list grows over time and 2) How much more you can enjoy your camping if you don't forget to bring the toilet paper.

If you would like a copy of my lists, PM me.

My biggest words of caution are check your tires before every trip. FEEL of the tread, looking for tread separation. Check your tire pressure before every trip. Check your tread depth before every trip. If your tires are over 5 years old, replace them, regardless of how much tread is left. Steel belted tires RUST. Then the belts break and the tire blows.
^x2, tires and check lists. I would forget something every time I go if I did not have a check list. Have Fun!!! Good Luck!
__________________

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
danny4127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: INDEPENDECE KS
Posts: 147
check and recheck then have wife check
__________________
Danny and Beverly Plus Panhead (chiweenie)
2019 5th wheel
2016 DOGE RAM 2500
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mkekflyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ft Myers FL
Posts: 227
Can't tell for sure but it sounds like you are going to be a seasonal in a local CG. 3X on the roof checks, park your units tires off the ground, check their age, and I would get a set of covers, or set something in front of them to help keep the UV light off of them, will help their life some. Most of all enjoy and have fun...
__________________
2018 Georgetown 378 XL
Loved her, listed her, sold her
mkekflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
Everyone has something they are obsessed over.

There are guys over on bobistheoilguy.com that obsess over the oil in their truck, how far they can go on a change, and send samples off to be analyzed.

I've seen forums full of people obsessing over which batteries will get their high end flashlight just a few more minutes of power.

And here, you have the folks who are obsessed over proper weight loads for vehicles, types of tires, electrical (as you saw, someone recommending a nearly $300 EMS unit for your trailer), all sorts of stuff.

All I can recommend is take all of it with a grain of salt. Read and use your noodle.

As MainelyUS pointed out - dealers leave slides out 24/7. You'll find some people here that religiously lubricate and bring their slides in for storage. Other people just don't care.

Water infiltration IS the biggest killer of campers. Go to a used dealer and start looking at older ones. Tons of nasty water problems. Easiest thing you can do is give your camper and its roof a good scrub once or twice a year and keep an eye on the roof. Any cracks, gaps, etc fill in with self leveling lap sealant. Its pricey, but its designed for this application and it works well. I had to reseal around my fridge vent and a few other things when I bought my 9 year old camper last year.
Yup, best $300+ the OP will ever spend to protect his trailer. Should not plug in without it.
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Iwannacamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,844
Our First Season (A few tips..?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Yup, best $300+ the OP will ever spend to protect his trailer. Should not plug in without it.


X2. Maiden voyage on new RV and 2 out of 4 had bad pedestals. Best $300 you will spend on RV short of spending on tires, but you are seasonal so not quite as important as they are setting anyway.
__________________
2017 Puma 297RLSS
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 diesel SMOKER!!
I love puns, irony and tasteless jokes...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,593
Tire . Replace at first sign of trouble and get them gone if they are past five years, for sure. Check and inflate tires COLD COLD COLD, BEFORE IT MOVES TEN FEET. before every run. Up to the max psi rating on the side wall. Maybe a pound or two light if it will be a really hot day.

Batteries. Not sure about hookup people, as we have probably no more than 20 nights on hookups EVER. BUT, be sure they are fully charged before you roll and keep them well charged in between trips. If you maintain them between 12.0 vdc and fully charged at 12.7, ALL TGE TIME. Service seasonally or if you are running them down between uses or do not have them on good quality charger. We will never be without solar again. Keeps batteries up without ever thinking about them.

And OF COURSE as others have said water is an enemy. Check roof and all over where water could get in. Caulk and seal aggressively.

Enjoy.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 4,416
It sounds to me that you are going seasonal. Even if your pedestal is wired right, an EMS will protect your voltage sensitive appliances. One occurrence with high or low voltage will cost you more than 300 - 400 dollars. I have a friend which had a problem and it cost his family over a $1100 dollars to get everything replaced. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty.

While setting your TT up be sure to put pressure treated boards under the tires and get it leveled before extending the stabilizers or the slides. Use concrete blocks under your stabilizers, the more you extend them the more it will rock. Add another set of blocks in front and behind the tires. Use hardwood shims to take up any small amount you have between the blocks and frame.

Use steel wool and expanding foam like Great Stuff to fill every small hole you can find under the trailer to help keep mice out, even around wires and gas lines. Be sure to examine the areas around the stabilizers if you have a closed bottom. Be sure to find a way to close off the holes in the side for manually operating the slide outs. I had one for the bedroom slide that was enclosed on the bottom and mice git in and chewed the wires for the step light and a side marker. I went to the hardware store and got a rubber drain stopper and fixed a plastic toggle anchor to it to hold it over the hole.

Get slide toppers so you can leave the slides out all season. They will help keep the slides cooler and help with keeping rain out of your seals. Then the major thing you will have to do to the roof is inspect it once a month or after a storm and clean it a couple of times a season. I have been reading about owners putting Eternabond over the roof seams before they start having problems. I know from experience that a rubber (EPDM) roof will shrink when it is out in the sun all the time.

Another thing I did myself was to get the manufacturers info from every thing on my trailer and look up and download any documents to my laptop so I have them at home when I have a problem. The laptop goes with me to the camper too.

Other than what I have listed, enjoy your camper and the time with your family. Campgrounds will almost always let seasonals make their site their own.

Here's some from my site:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	133950   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	566.0 KB
ID:	133951   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	507.8 KB
ID:	133952  
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 79
Thinking I will purchase a portable EMS protector. Want it prior to plugging in next week. Anyone know if a Wildwood 31 KQBTS has a 30 amp connection? The manual I have, which is quite detailed, is not specific to my actual model. Trying to avoid calling the dealer we purchased it from. Won't be able to access my trailer until next weekend. Anxiously waiting. Thanks for your help!

Joe
Joe
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #18
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
Thinking I will purchase a portable EMS protector. Want it prior to plugging in next week. Anyone know if a Wildwood 31 KQBTS has a 30 amp connection? The manual I have, which is quite detailed, is not specific to my actual model. Trying to avoid calling the dealer we purchased it from. Won't be able to access my trailer until next weekend. Anxiously waiting. Thanks for your help!

Joe
Joe
Do you have any other documents? You should have one for the power distribution center if you bought it new.

This is one of the reasons I endorse getting the make and model of every appliance and piece of hardware and downloading the digital documents to your laptop or tablet. If you don't have enough storage space on your tablet then store them on a USB thumb drive.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 79
I did find this: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...31qbts-tr19765

I definitely only have one AC, so I assuming likely 30 AMP.

I noticed in this doc there is a 12 year manufacture's roof warranty. This was not mentioned by the dealer we purchased it from. I need to find out: Some more specifics about this warranty. I assume its for some kind of failure associated with the construction of the roof. Would this warranty automatically transfer to me, as a second owner? And what specific steps do I need to take to make sure the the warranty remains in effect?
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.