Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1448 View Post
You don't say what cg you are going to but you mention that not ALL sites have a waste hookup. That leads me to believe that some do. That usually would indicate that they would have a common dump site as you leave the cg. Also they should have a honeypot.
This is a tiny campground. Like 50 spots. Their website specifies: PLEASE NOTE: Water and Electric only sites are for those campers who do not want/need to dump before they leave. Should you need to dump, please request a full hoop-up site. Thank you for understanding!

So no. No central dump. No honeywagon. It's two nights. We'll be fine.

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
Thanks! My only real worry is that we'll be driving home with half-filled gray and black tanks sloshing away. But I guess we'll need to know how to deal with that too.
If you have a Flying J, Pilot, or Love's truck stop along the way back home you can dump there for around $10.
Cajun_Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Congrats! This will be fun, for sure.

I agree with the pad of paper advice. It's the really random stuff that you will realize you need for the camper. Like garbage bags, random cooking utensils, paper towel, sponge, soap, toiletries, etc...

Have fun and enjoy the new camper!
On our first weekend trip we camped at a COE park about 5 miles from our house. We wanted to do a proper shake down of our camper and this proved to be the best time to do it. I think I made about 4 trips to Walmart that weekend picking up items we realized we needed.

Just returned from a 14 night, 5 different campground trip and there were still items I had to run to town for. It's a learning experience...items you think you need but don't get them out of the cabinet and other things you never realize you need.

Cajun_Arkie
Cajun_Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 PM   #64

Nah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1972 View Post
Congrats on the new camper! Our storage facility also has a dump, BUT there isnt a regular water hose...only a tiny sprayer. This isnt anywhere near what one needs to dump properly. SO, I would recommend you double check your storage dump setup to make sure you will have access to water with good pressure for cleaning your tanks. The last thing you want to do is just pull the valves, let it drain, shut the valves, and park it. You will very quickly encounter the dreaded "poo pyramid" if you do not flush out your black tank. Good luck!
Nah! You have to be really compulsive to flush the tanks. Ten years ago, trailers didn't even have flush sprayers. And those hose-connected elbows are useless; they only flush halfway up the tank's drain tube.

{GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING}
The poo pyramid comes from dropping solid waste onto a dry tank bottom. Guess what? It sticks. And more sticks to the first stuff.

All you have to do is put a few inches of fresh water in the tank before using it and no pyramid. The water breaks the fall of solid waste so it doesn't stick.
{/GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING}

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #65

Black water tank

Be sure to put some treatment in the tank and let it clean while it sloshes around.

As they mention pad and pencil and enjoy yourselves!
TxTraveler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #66

Be sure to put treatment in tank and let it clean while sloshing around.
TxTraveler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #67

Your favorite adult beverages and fixings for símores!!! Enjoy!!
SSteinmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #68

We make a travel book of all the places we've been to. Pictures, campground sight number,etc. Makes for great memories.
jeepbbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 AM   #69

Quote:
I've never been there before, so I'm not 100% sure, but no central dump is listed anywhere on their site or other sites like Campendium or Sanidumps, etc. I didn't specifically ask, so there may be. They have a map, which I'll attach, and the site lists everything from where to fill propane to the gold fish pond, but no dump site.

Our site is the red circle. All by itself and nice and shady when you look on Google.

So...Could someone tell me why is it bad for us to drive home and dump there? I mean, it's less than 60 miles.
I don't see one on there either. Wonders never cease. You wouldn't have any trouble driving home and dumping there. It will be extra weight to haul, but only an hour drive wouldn't be too bad.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM   #70

Don't forget a manual..."CAN OPENER". Numerous times with first trailer, dinner was only possible due to the fact that I always...ALWAYS...have my Buck knife or Leatherman muti-tool on my belt. We pack two openers in our TT's now.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #71

Quote:
Boy are we ready to get the trailer and GO! We picked up our TT on July 27 and it's just been parked. We can't even park it by our house thanks to the tiny, steep lot we've got, so it's in a storage place nearby.

Today I reserved a spot in a campground about an hour and a half from home. It's got great reviews and our spot has a big "yard" area around it so we're not going to be stuck up against another RV. There's a little fishing (catch and release) lake and some trails and a pool etc., but mostly, this is just us learning what we can. The only downside is there is no dump at our site, water/electric only, but that's okay because the RV Storage lot has one and we can dump when we get back. It's just a weekend...won't be like we'll fill her up.

So...any pointers for rank amateurs?
You may not have sewer connection at your site but I would say the campground should have one someplace on the property, I would advise you dump before you leave. If this is your first TT I always dump the black water first and then the grey, doing it this way kind of flushes the poop out as it goes. Makeup a dump kit, rubber gloves (disposable work great), some paper towels and hand sanitizers. I also advise getting some black tank deodorizer, help with holding tank odor, a definite must have, not a gimmick. Enjoy your trip.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatroller View Post
You may not have sewer connection at your site but I would say the campground should have one someplace on the property, I would advise you dump before you leave. If this is your first TT I always dump the black water first and then the grey, doing it this way kind of flushes the poop out as it goes. Makeup a dump kit, rubber gloves (disposable work great), some paper towels and hand sanitizers. I also advise getting some black tank deodorizer, help with holding tank odor, a definite must have, not a gimmick. Enjoy your trip.
POST #16 has a CG map. Don't see a Dump Station listed anywhere on the map. Only sewer seems to be on Full Hook Up Sites.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:50 AM   #73

I like full hookups at east harbor state park Ohio. But so do a lot of other people. After 6 yrs outta camping I bought a used 19í Roo hybrid. Began checking available spots and was surprised at how quickly the camp ground filled up this summer. I have been able to find couple spots after checking again. Now I have a theory. People just book a bunch of dates early then adjust as time goes on. So check often to see if something opened up. Also if the camp ground has full hookup they should have a dump station in the park.
Markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markharmon View Post
I like full hookups at east harbor state park Ohio. But so do a lot of other people. After 6 yrs outta camping I bought a used 19í Roo hybrid. Began checking available spots and was surprised at how quickly the camp ground filled up this summer. I have been able to find couple spots after checking again. Now I have a theory. People just book a bunch of dates early then adjust as time goes on. So check often to see if something opened up. Also if the camp ground has full hookup they should have a dump station in the park.
Check MAP in post #16 Nothing listed for Dump Station. Anywhere.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #75

Ditto. Need pressure to move the stuff!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #76

Talking

Folks - I swear to God and all that I hold Dear - THERE IS NO CENTRAL DUMP STATION THERE! It's a tiny campground and it'll be FINE. There is a HUGE interstate interchange with a big truck stop WITH a dump station, half way home. There is a dump station also where we park the trailer. I promise to put 5 GALLONS of water in the tank before use and to avoid the poop pyramid. If there is not sufficient pressure for the black tank flush to work, I'll dump lots of water down the toilet and flush it as best I can that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I don't see one on there either. Wonders never cease. You wouldn't have any trouble driving home and dumping there. It will be extra weight to haul, but only an hour drive wouldn't be too bad.
And half way home there's the truck stop. I'm not concerned. Boondockers have to travel with stuff in the tanks all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_Arkie View Post
On our first weekend trip we camped at a COE park about 5 miles from our house. We wanted to do a proper shake down of our camper and this proved to be the best time to do it. I think I made about 4 trips to Walmart that weekend picking up items we realized we needed.

Cajun_Arkie
I actually wanted to do that! But apparently they're putting in a lot of gas lines in our town and as a result the contractors have taken up every available RV spot in 30 miles! They told me at our local park that they didn't see anything opening up until the end of September. I just don't want to wait that long!

And heck, worst case scenario, we're still only 30 minutes or so from a Wal-Mart. Isn't everybody? LOL!

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #77

My observation.

Campground dump stations are crowded. Usually minimal flush water as well.

If you have a reasonably full black water tank, in a 2 hour ride, your tank will agitate the material around a lot making an extended high pressure flush less necessary if at all.

Have fun. Drive to your storage area and flush. Next time you are at a full service site flush the devil out of your tank.

We always start out our black tank with the wash water from the sink and half a cup of Dawn and Calgon. Before the first major deposit, most of the time.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #78

Quote:
Thanks! My only real worry is that we'll be driving home with half-filled gray and black tanks sloshing away. But I guess we'll need to know how to deal with that too.
Put some GEO in your Black Tank !!!
1/2 Cup Laundry Detergent, 1/4 Cup Liq Calgon !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #79

Fellow newbie

We did much the same thing this spring with our RPOD...took it to a state park near, tested just about everything, wrote notes, and then did it again. We're off next week for our third "shake down" trip before we head out for a 3 weeker. Have fun and understand that nothing is perfect, just adjust and smile. We wish you well...
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #80

I have never ever ever ever flushed my tank. We travel with stuff in it all the time.
A little Calgon, deodorizer packet and a couple of gallons of water.
Have never had an odor problem.
A black tank flush elbow at the valves will only rinse the valve and connectors, no water will ever reach your actual tank.
Only an in tank flush will rinse your tank.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip