Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Our longest trip so far.

I was posting a response on another thread and realized I was veering of course so decided to just start this one. Our summer trip this year, was scheduled last year, is to Gettysburg/ Hershey area the first week of August. Staying at Gifford Pinchot State Park, about half way between Gettysburg and Hershey. This will be a 6-7 hour drive the way we will go. The suggested routes are 5-6 hours, but I'm going to go a bit farther east on I80 so I can follow the Susquehanna River south. I expect this route will be a bit flatter and more scenic. I know this is a short trip compared to many, but our longest to date. I expect most things to be open close to normal by then. Being a bit of a history person, looking forward to Gettysburg. One day should suffice for Hershey. That will be a bad calorie day! Also looking forward to going to Lincoln Speedway Saturday night. Was hoping for Williams Grove Friday but that would be too much of a push being a travel day. Not to mention some fishing at the park.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
REL

I live 1/2 way between Pinchot and Gettysburg. Gettysburg is a pretty cool town. Take a guided tour of the town or even a ghost tour in the evening in addition to a battlefield tour. A lot happened in town and most visitors concentrate on the battlefield.

Lincoln is a good track but I like the Grove. Good racing at either.

Fly fishing by chance? The Yellow Breaches Creek near Boiling Springs Pa, is very well known and is just a few miles from Williams Grove.

If you like racing, Try to make some time to stop at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing outside York Springs PA about a mile off Rt 15. If you do go there make sure you look up. They have displays and memorabilia hanging everywhere. Small museum but PACKED with some really cool stuff. Takes a few hours to soak it all in. Dirt, NASCAR, bikes, drags. Everything.

All of this stuff is between Pinchot and Gettysburg.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #3

Eisenhower's farm is worth a visit. Frozen in time.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
Try to make some time to stop at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing outside York Springs PA about a mile off Rt 15.
Thanks for the recommendation. We will definitely be stopping there!! We have planned for a bunch of time in town. Do you know will a F250 fit in the parking garage there?
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky53 View Post
Eisenhower's farm is worth a visit. Frozen in time.
We are stopping there since we will drive by on the way to the covered bridge. Thanks.
Hensley Hitch
Old 03-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
REL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. We will definitely be stopping there!! We have planned for a bunch of time in town. Do you know will a F250 fit in the parking garage there?
Not positive about the max height at the parking garage but I believe it's 6'10".

Google EMMR for the museum . Lots of pics and info
Only open Fri Sat and Sun
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #7

At Gettysburg visitor center we hired a guide that drove our truck and explained how the battle played out. One of the most interesting tours we have ever taken. We also enjoyed Antietam Battlefield and Harper's Ferry.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote