Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #21

Several choices for your replies:

1) Hey DUDE! The 4th Amendment applies in this parking lot too!

2) Are those Ray-bans?

3) Don't you get hot in those suits? Seersucker in D.C. in Summer might be more apropos, ya know.

4) Do you do tours?

5) Hey!! Would you pose for a picture with my wife?

6) Can we pay to park here while we sightsee?

7) I need a haircut. Where do you get yours done?

I bet they'd get a big kick out of any of those.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #22

😁 Just by the title of your post I knew what was coming! Having spent 26 years living and working around DC it's not hard to loose your way. FYI - don't attempt driving past the White House in a large vehicle and or trailer cause the same thing will happen. You'll meet more nice folks in sunglasses and big guns. Glad you were able to share this experience with us!
Zeph 3:17
LSRuss3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #23

CIA

Big problem is these black ops guys take themselves entirely too seriously. Sounds like they felt really threatened by a couple of seniors. Once in a while they need to step back and take a minute and think about who they work for.
The threat of being deported to California would surely keep me away from there!
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt104 View Post
Big problem is these black ops guys take themselves entirely too seriously. Sounds like they felt really threatened by a couple of seniors. Once in a while they need to step back and take a minute and think about who they work for.
The threat of being deported to California would surely keep me away from there!
The gate guards would not be black op's, more contractors /civilian federal officers.

As far as taking themselves to seriously they might have been but I will say... Anyone can be a threat. Was almost shot by a 9 and 12 year old after they committed a home invasion where they tied up and severely beat an elderly couple.. Running and jumping from a second floor window when we showed up.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #25

I did something like that on an Army base not long after 9-11. I'm sure my name is now on a lost somewhere. Actually, I'm glad I didn't make it past the gate. The guards did their jobs well.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
The gate guards would not be black op's, more contractors /civilian federal officers.

As far as taking themselves to seriously they might have been but I will say... Anyone can be a threat. Was almost shot by a 9 and 12 year old after they committed a home invasion where they tied up and severely beat an elderly couple.. Running and jumping from a second floor window when we showed up.
True anyone can be a threat. I always thought it was the smart ones that look like John Q Public that could be the most dangerous. Good planning and fitting into the background.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #27

After you left they probably had a good laugh - "I thought that old man was going to wet himself! Bahahahaha!!!"
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #28

Funny story and you're lucky you didn't laugh or disrespect the situation. They did exactly what they are supposed to do. And concerning the few comments about only Seniors......anyone could be a terrorist, I believe one of the bombers in Boston was only a kid. Good story though.
Brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I was in Shreveport LA and got in the wrong lane...you will enter barksdale AF base. I was just in my PU, but I always have a gun or two. Luckily I was nice and so where the armed guards they allowed me to turn around and leave, but I was "in" the base.
Hey, depending on which gate you were at, you may have missed out. If you were at the right one, you could have just told them you were going to the Global Power Museum, which is just right inside the gate to the left. Just need a ID to enter. It's a neat place to visit, as they have a lot of aircraft outside to see, and the museum itself is very interesting. If you get in the wrong lane again, see if the museum is open.

About Us — Barksdale Global Power Museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barksd...l_Power_Museum

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwk View Post
Funny story and you're lucky you didn't laugh or disrespect the situation. They did exactly what they are supposed to do. And concerning the few comments about only Seniors......anyone could be a terrorist, I believe one of the bombers in Boston was only a kid. Good story though.
I did smile when he said he'd really check me out thoroughly next time and maybe something else might come up. He couldn't help crack a very slight smile before returning to the stern sounding guy he had to play. The CIA complex I found is known as the "Poly" short for polygraph testing. They put prospective personnel through interrogations and a polygraph test before signing them on. Amazing what can be found out about a place with just an address to go by.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Hey, depending on which gate you were at, you may have missed out. If you were at the right one, you could have just told them you were going to the Global Power Museum, which is just right inside the gate to the left. Just need a ID to enter. It's a neat place to visit, as they have a lot of aircraft outside to see, and the museum itself is very interesting. If you get in the wrong lane again, see if the museum is open.

About Us — Barksdale Global Power Museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barksd...l_Power_Museum

✔️✔️ thanks
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I suppose it is fun to mock them, but a big RV could have been carrying a lot of explosives or who knows what else. Guards did exactly what they should have done.

If a terrorist showed up and did something, everyone would have said "why didn't they do something... a big RV just drove up and nobody noticed?"
Um...they were in their TOAD and it was a MINI
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #33

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Um...they were in their TOAD and it was a MINI
Not forgetting, they were prepared to show their AARP Identification !!!!

----

We got caught at a NY State Roadblock coming off our hill about a decade ago ... we eventually got to our "turn" in line ... the officer noted our out-of-state plates, and a bumper sticker for a national office political candidate ... he waved us through, and left us in stitches when he said loudly, "They have a *NAME REDACTED* Sticker - these aren't the ones we are looking for - they can go about their business - move along." Truth of the matter, it was a NY State Safety Inspection ... but the officers good manner was a hoot.

Now ... where IS that entrance to Area 51 ???

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #34

Area 51? We're going to be in that part of the west maybe in a year and a half or so. I'm certain, beyond any doubt, I'll manage to stumble across it. So I'll let uou know then where it is. Just tell them I sent ya. 😁
Old 07-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I did smile when he said he'd really check me out thoroughly next time and maybe something else might come up. He couldn't help crack a very slight smile before returning to the stern sounding guy he had to play. The CIA complex I found is known as the "Poly" short for polygraph testing. They put prospective personnel through interrogations and a polygraph test before signing them on. Amazing what can be found out about a place with just an address to go by.
They are probably saying the same thing about YOUR address right now. lol.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #36
Back On The Go

You guys are funnny. Strange how they disguise the entrance and when someone comes in by accident they get bent out of shape. How about more than 1 level of security before they threaten to shoot you? Like please turn around prior to the bend in the road ahead where the tank is waiting.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
They are probably saying the same thing about YOUR address right now. lol.
Good one!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
You guys are funnny. Strange how they disguise the entrance and when someone comes in by accident they get bent out of shape. How about more than 1 level of security before they threaten to shoot you? Like please turn around prior to the bend in the road ahead where the tank is waiting.
That's exactly how it happened except for the tank. Unless "tank" is a euphemism for the guy asking all the questions. 😀 No signs about it being off limits or a government facility until I was almost at the shack with no way of turning around.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #39
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
That's exactly how it happened except for the tank. Unless "tank" is a euphemism for the guy asking all the questions. 😀 No signs about it being off limits or a government facility until I was almost at the shack with no way of turning around.
Yes, I know. We used to live in the D.C. burbs and there were many of these kinds of facilities around, some of which are not subtle about it. Just be polite after you freak out.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
Yes, I know. We used to live in the D.C. burbs and there were many of these kinds of facilities around, some of which are not subtle about it. Just be polite after you freak out.
My Dad taught us many good things one of them was always try to be polite especially to the police. He also said make sure you address them as "officer" it goes a long way even if they aren't exactly polite. He also had acromegaly like Andre the Giant so living with him as a tiny kid kind of made me immune to fear for the most part. He once picked my car up just for fun!