Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Outdoor lighting

Thanks for the add. I’m looking to add outdoor led lighting and their are hundreds of options. Wondering what you guys have found best. Looking for stick on strip lightning and something that is bright. Thanks.
Casey1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

Not to sound like a smart *****, why would you want bright lighting? The best night lighting is a camp fire. I have never looked into this but I'm sure most dealers would have lighting kits in stock.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

"why would you want bright lighting?"
Some like to sit under the awning and play cards, board games, yahtzee, etc. with friends and neighbors.

Been there, done that lots of times.

Amazon, Camping World, Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe's have LED strip lights. I can't tell you which brand/make is best because they all have some that don't last. It depends on each individual strip.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1977 View Post
Thanks for the add. I’m looking to add outdoor led lighting and their are hundreds of options. Wondering what you guys have found best. Looking for stick on strip lightning and something that is bright. Thanks.
There are a few decent ones and an lot of cheap stuff. My preference is Boogey Lights they can be dimmed down or cranked up and you have lots of options.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #5

Fair enough. We use a good old Coleman lantern. Lights up the gaming table and not the neighborhood.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
Fair enough. We use a good old Coleman lantern. Lights up the gaming table and not the neighborhood.
We still use Coleman Lanterns too. I use my single mantle as an area light, but keep it turned way down unless I need the extra light.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Besides adding a stick-on LED strip lighting kit to the underside of the awning, you may want to consider adding LED lighting to the end of the awning arm.

You need to purchase Valterra A30-0600 Rope Light Trak from amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This consists of a number of 3 foot segments of plastic that slide into the awning roller assembly that will give you two fittings. One fitting will allow you to string LED Rope lighting, while the other fitting gives you the ability to purchase a sun screen fabric and insert it to be held up by the awning. You can see my sunshade setup below. The rope lights wound around the awning arm is just visible.

You then have the ability to snap into place whatever type of LED Rope lighting you would want in any color... bright white or colored. These rope lights are powered with 120 VAC, not 12VDC, so I start with the rope light supported by the awning arm and plugged into an extension cord.

I typically string a subdued red rope light from the awning arms, across the inside part of the awning, and back toward the trailer on the opposite arm. However I also have a blue rope light string, which I occasionally use.

Snapping the rope light in or out of the rope light trak is quick and easy. I leave the track in place while rolling back and storing the electric awning, although you do have to remove the rope lights when retracting.

I ordered the track I am using back for the 2015 season, and just used them within the past month in 2018 again and they are holding up.

Rope lights can be ordered from Amazon and I have seen them also available at Home Depot typically in the white light variety.

I hope this helps give you another option for LED lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12a.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	165601  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Couple of suggestions.
1. Check out http://superbrightleds.com/ as they have good quality stuff.
2. Get lighting that can be dimmed. Most likely there will be many times when you don't want it on full bright.
3. Get a roll of 3M automotive trim double sided tape and use that to mount it. Outdoor lighting is subject to wide temp extremes and the adhesive on many of them will not hold up.
4. Be sure to clean the surface of the RV well before applying.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, light