Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 09:42 AM   #1

Outdoor projector and screen suggestions/reviews?

Good morning all,

I've done searches on the forum and haven't found anything on this subject. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place??

Anyways, I plan on purchasing a mini projector and screen (probably around 100 in) for use while camping this summer and having movie nights outside with the kids. I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions/reviews for specific makes and model projectors, as the choices and prices vary significantly.

I realize that the higher the projection lumens, the better and brighter the picture should be, but not sure if all manufacturers abide by the same procedures when testing. I would assume I would want something over 3000 lumens, but also not break the bank. Would like to keep the projector cost under $200.

Any feedback from anyone who has an outdoor movie setup that would share any info??

Thanks in advance - Kris
Old 02-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #2

I use the Goodee projector for presentations doesn't cost much and provides great quality picture plus has a remote. I have not used it outside it is not weather proof.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Go inexpensive... use a white sheet hung from the awning. We have done this for years and it works well.
*Bluetooth speaker and connect our ipad to projector.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Site Team

I just saw a cheaper projector in Walmart than the Epson I currently use for such. It caught my eye being under a $80. I got a great deal on an outdoor projection screen some years back, that also allows me to project from behind the screen instead of the front where the people are. The Epson projector allows you to reverse the image for this purpose. I'll get all the info when I get home.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Team

I realize that the higher the projection lumens, the better and brighter the picture should be, but not sure if all manufacturers abide by the same procedures when testing.

Read description carefully as some manufacturers use Lux which can cause confusion and make a model appear to be more effective than it is.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadwithtwins View Post
Good morning all,

I've done searches on the forum and haven't found anything on this subject. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place??

Anyways, I plan on purchasing a mini projector and screen (probably around 100 in) for use while camping this summer and having movie nights outside with the kids. I'm looking to see if anyone has any suggestions/reviews for specific makes and model projectors, as the choices and prices vary significantly.

I realize that the higher the projection lumens, the better and brighter the picture should be, but not sure if all manufacturers abide by the same procedures when testing. I would assume I would want something over 3000 lumens, but also not break the bank. Would like to keep the projector cost under $200.

Any feedback from anyone who has an outdoor movie setup that would share any info??

Thanks in advance - Kris
Contact FRF Member "SYE" ,he and his wife Vickie are the "TIKI HUT" people and they also go ALL OUT for Kids at the FROG International Rally! They put up a Huge Big Screen for Movies! They know All about Weather Conditions for Outside activities! Very Nice People! Youroo!!
Old 02-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

I have a projector/screen setup. The projector is LG and new is quite expensive, it was a gift so can't complain. For a screen I bought an 8' standard pull down projector screen, like you'd hang in a classroom, about 20.00 or so on ebay. I hang it from my awning via the little rubber "S" hooks that slide into the groove for lights. If there's any breeze an ice chest or anything heavy tied to the handle will keep it in place. I also have the Turbs hold down brackets and paint poles to hold down the awning but that is not a necessity. It works great for showing Supercross in the desert on Saturday night of a race weekend, we get quite a crowd. My projector has audio and aux outputs; they make bluetooth transmitters too that you plug in and send the audio to any decent bluetooth speaker.

Technology..........ain't it great?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

Outdoor projector

I got ViviBright GP100 and Excelvan 120inch projector. Been using them for 3 years. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	projector.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	224016  
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I realize that the higher the projection lumens, the better and brighter the picture should be, but not sure if all manufacturers abide by the same procedures when testing.

Read description carefully as some manufacturers use Lux which can cause confusion and make a model appear to be more effective than it is.
I was wondering about that. I just did some reading on a comparison between Lux and Lumens. Not apples to apples for sure! I really dislike trying to weed out the dishonest companies selling junk!!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
Go inexpensive... use a white sheet hung from the awning. We have done this for years and it works well.
*Bluetooth speaker and connect our ipad to projector.
Thanks for the input. That's probably what I'll end up doing, going inexpensive on the projector, but will probably still buy a screen just to have more options on where to watch.

Now to try and pick one!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I have a projector/screen setup. The projector is LG and new is quite expensive, it was a gift so can't complain. For a screen I bought an 8' standard pull down projector screen, like you'd hang in a classroom, about 20.00 or so on ebay. I hang it from my awning via the little rubber "S" hooks that slide into the groove for lights. If there's any breeze an ice chest or anything heavy tied to the handle will keep it in place. I also have the Turbs hold down brackets and paint poles to hold down the awning but that is not a necessity. It works great for showing Supercross in the desert on Saturday night of a race weekend, we get quite a crowd. My projector has audio and aux outputs; they make bluetooth transmitters too that you plug in and send the audio to any decent bluetooth speaker.

Technology..........ain't it great?
Thanks for the suggestion for an easy screen idea. Still leaning towards a free standing screen, but I'll definately add this option to my list!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #12

projector

I got the flexible screen, easy to fold up and put away. Plus it works great hanging from trailer awning. Bought projector and awning from amazon.
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #13

Are you going to run this off your generator/shore power or batteries w/inverter?

Reason I ask is have a camping partner that goes all out at California state parks so can’t run generator after 8. With the projector, speakers and inverter he ran his group 24’s down to where batteries were dead overnight and had no heat. The next time he brought 2 more 24’s to run just the inverter. And that was 1 movie.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino View Post
I got ViviBright GP100 and Excelvan 120inch projector. Been using them for 3 years. Works great.
Will add this one to the list to check out, thanks!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
Site Team

This is what I have and I bought it several years ago when Amazon had a great deal on it. I do like the screen and the fact I can rear project onto it.

However, takedown is a pain with putting everything back in the case. It takes a bit. I've quit using it as much since I dread the disassembly. I used to set it up in the house and the kids would play their video games via the projector on it, when they had friends over. It was a big hit.

https://youtu.be/anGQg_QKTbM

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Are you going to run this off your generator/shore power or batteries w/inverter?

Reason I ask is have a camping partner that goes all out at California state parks so can’t run generator after 8. With the projector, speakers and inverter he ran his group 24’s down to where batteries were dead overnight and had no heat. The next time he brought 2 more 24’s to run just the inverter. And that was 1 movie.
Will be running it off of 50 amp shore power, so no issues there! Thanks for asking though in case others are considering a similar setup using batteries w/inverter!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #17

Wow, the OP got a lot more answers than I anticipated! I guess a lot more folks do this than I thought, way to help out FR community....
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #18

Wife got me one from amazon for like 75 bucks. It does everything. Even hdmi in and out. She got me a fabric screen as well It works great from dusk on and kids love it!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCombat View Post
Wife got me one from amazon for like 75 bucks. It does everything. Even hdmi in and out. She got me a fabric screen as well It works great from dusk on and kids love it!
Do you happen to remember the make and model?

It's hard to believe many of the reviews online because apparently some manufacturers give out "free gifts" if people leave 5 star reviews on their product.

And, who knows what kind of kickback some of these websites are getting from manufacturers also when they publish their "Top 10 outdoor projector" lists. I'm guessing that is the case because rarely do you see the same make/model shown consistently on lists from different websites.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #20
I Break Everything

I bought a Nebula Capsule, costed a little more than your budget but works well.

I set up up on my tripod and stream to it. it has a speaker, but I bluetooth the sound to another source. We project on the side over the RV with a sheet.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door