Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Outdoor recliners

We have been thinking about buying a pair of zero gravity outdoor recliners for use with our TT. The ones in the local stores look cheap, like they will rust the first time we leave them outside.

I also checked on Amazon, and a lot of units had bad reviews from a quality perspective.

I am wondering what brands/models fellow campers have and how happy they are with them??

Also, I am 6'2', 190#, so i need an XL model that will be comfortable for my tall body, and not all brands make them.

Finally, between the different options of > Mesh, Material, or Padded, which one makes the most sense in real use??
Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #2

We have a set from Cabelas, after checking around and sitting in a few these seem to be the best, I am 6' 210lbs and also got an XL version and a regular one. After having them I can say the regular size works fine.
Now the bad side, after three seasons of using these only while camping and not leaving out in the rain ( always moved to under the awning or under the TT during rain) the rivet on the front of the handles (where the locks are) rusted through on both of them, not a big deal to fix I drilled out the rivet and put in a bolt, IMO that is how they should have built them, but beware from speaking with others that is where they all seem to fail,some in a year or less.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
10Isola

I too have two from cabella's. I'm 6' 235 and have found the larger seats are more comfortable. We have had them for 3 years and they have held up nicely. The finish on the wood handles is starting to go, but not a big deal. I'm finding myself packing these chairs less and less because I do find them to be bulky, heavy and space killers. Hope this helps.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Isola
I too have two from cabella's. I'm 6' 235 and have found the larger seats are more comfortable. We have had them for 3 years and they have held up nicely. The finish on the wood handles is starting to go, but not a big deal. I'm finding myself packing these chairs less and less because I do find them to be bulky, heavy and space killers. Hope this helps.
On the Cabalas site it appears that the XL size is the same height but just wider......is this correct???
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #5

I am not sure of the brand I got but I purchased them at the RV show from www.billplemmonsrv.com in NC. They are rated for 350#, which is higher then most. We got the standard as the XL's were only wide not longer. Ours are also padded, which may be slightly warmer but you could easily fall asleep in them

Suggestions:
Get one that can lock in reclined position
The bottom leg bar bothers my Achilles tendon, solved by putting a piece of swim tube over it
Not as much a suggestion as an annoyance, most have no place to put your beer as they lack drink holders
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte
I am not sure of the brand I got but I purchased them at the RV show from www.billplemmonsrv.com in NC. They are rated for 350#, which is higher then most. We got the standard as the XL's were only wide not longer. Ours are also padded, which may be slightly warmer but you could easily fall asleep in them

Suggestions:
Get one that can lock in reclined position
The bottom leg bar bothers my Achilles tendon, solved by putting a piece of swim tube over it
Not as much a suggestion as an annoyance, most have no place to put your beer as they lack drink holders
Found a link Faulkner is the manufacturer, they have a few in regular and XL

http://www.amazonrv.com/ProductDetai...ID=76&MRID=777
Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #7

Faulkner has terrible reviews lately on Amazon.....
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

No problems with mine at this point. Used on 4 trips so far. It has even held my 6'7" 325# neighbor. I can say they are slightly heavy
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehlendt
I purchased this model from Gander Mountain. Gander Mountain® > Gander Mountain Zero Gravity Aluminum Lounger - Camping > Outdoor Furniture > Chairs :
Had it for a year now, with no isues to report. Put it under the awning at night. I'm 6' 4" and 255 lbs and this thing is very comfortable for my frame. It has a removable drink holder/tray which is nice. Love it!!!!!
Reese WD Hitch
"Get busy living.....or get busy dying."
Ehlendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlendt
It has a removable drink holder/tray which is nice. Love it!!!!!
Why don't you rub it in!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
On the Cabalas site it appears that the XL size is the same height but just wider......is this correct???
That's correct, they are only wider.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #12

Lafuma RSX I'm 6' 4" 250 lbs....comfy. Bulky but worth the comfort.
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #13

We've had the XL ones from Cabela's for about a year now. Love them so much! Definitely hold 250lb+. Handles are getting worn/weathered but that seems cosmetic only. We use ours alot while at home too. Many a nap has been made in these wonderful chairs. Recently the strap for the pillow broke on one but hasn't bothered us much.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We also have the chairs from Cabelas (not XL) but I think the only difference is the width. Very comfy.

We tried two from Kohl's when we had one of their 30% off coupons. Great deal. The chair was just OK but beware the armrests. The hard plastic was really uncomfortable after just 5 minutes. We returned them. I would never have imagined that to be an issue, but it was for us.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:56 AM   #15

We got a couple at Bass Pro this spring and love them. I think they were "on sale" for about $50. They do take up extra room and are a bit heavier than I thought they'd be but IMO, worth it. These aren't padded but have a pillow for one's head.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #16

I found the Zero Gravities to be heavy and bulky in transit, and take up way to much room when trying to fit everyone under the awning during rain shower or getting out of the sun.
These are better for us and just as comfortable to me, as they recline nicely.
Also comes in a wide size. Prime Products Plus Folding Chairs
Sir Veyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #17

After using a friend's Big Wide Recliner from Camping World last fall I decided to buy one. When we went to the local Camping World earlier in the spring they had a couple that were being closed out because the cloth pattern wasn't very popular, so I grabbed one for $70. They are on sale now on their web site for $99 for President's Club members.

I have only had it for a couple of months, but my friends have had theirs for a couple of years without any issues.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #18

No affiliation, relation, ties, etc, etc, etc, with this company, but you might want to check ALPS Mountaineering. My wife was very specific about what COLOR chairs she wanted, she wanted it to match the awning mat. No idea how she found these guys. They seem to have a large selection of style and colors available. We ordered four of the Kong chairs, two lakeside, a lounger and a table. The four Kong chairs and the lounger arrived in two days. They seem very sturdy and well built. Again, no affiliation, relation, ties, etc, you might want to check out what they have to offer.
zaih05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Veyor View Post
I found the Zero Gravities to be heavy and bulky in transit, and take up way to much room when trying to fit everyone under the awning during rain shower or getting out of the sun.
These are better for us and just as comfortable to me, as they recline nicely.
Also comes in a wide size. Prime Products Plus Folding Chairs
the DW says it must be a recliner..........