Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Outdoor storage facilities — safe?

I currently store my trailer on a parking spot in a self storage facility.

But how safe is it?

Sure, they have a barb wire fence and a gate with passcode.
But these storage places go out of their way to avoid any language in their agreements and marketing that would imply they provide any sort of security, as they don’t want any liability for theft.
Moreover, they demand to see your insurance before renting you a space.
I wonder if there’s any security guard at all doing rounds.

What’s your experience? Any thefts, damage?
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #2

In the city cameras, controlled access, razor wire on top of the fence.
Up in northern Wisc. just the storage buildings, no fence, no cameras, RVs lined up in the back.
Guess it just depends on where you choose to park.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
Site Team

There have been many stories over the years of people talking about theft and damage done at storage facilities. Mostly it's batteries and propane tanks or catalytic converters on motorhomes.

No place is going to be 100% theft and/or damage proof. And locks may only slow them down slightly.

They usually have cameras but I've never heard of any place having an actual security guard. As always, good insurance is probably going to be your best protection.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

I have heard numerous stories from facilities around Atlanta. Stolen lug nuts on tires, missing batteries, opened storage bays. Some places are safer than others. We found covered powered storage with a huge camera set up. I feel pretty good about safety but I am realistic. we check on the trailer regularly. The expectation is the more you pay, the more security you expect.
Andersen WD Hitch
catvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:00 PM   #5

The place I use has security after hours. One guy driving around once in a while. It's fully fenced, pretty well lit, a few cameras, key card in and out. He's got a shack near the back of the lot.

No place is perfectly safe. That's what your insurance is for.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:02 PM   #6

We had a break-in at a gated and fenced storage facility. They cleaned out everything in the compartments and our sub-woofer, but they could not get out the TV or the dash radio/DVD/GPS. LOL. Totally annoying and a pain in the butt. When I asked the office if they could pull up their camera footage, they said they had none. Anyone could easily climb over or even under their fence and the site backed to a RR track along a creek so it was easy in/easy out for the thief/thieves. We quickly left that place and went to one that is in a lower crime rate area and also has a dozen cameras on 24/7. But we also don't leave a darn thing in the compartments any more - except the sewer hose!

You should assume a storage lot is simply a reserved spot to park your RV without getting a ticket, and nothing about security or safety. That's basically what all the contracts say. You get your own spot and that's it. So don't count on them for anything beyond that.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #7

I have storage for my Class C that has all the cameras, lights, locked fence, entrance code. This AM I get a call that thefts happened to catalytic converters on motorhomes stored. They got mine. Really makes me PO'd. Have to wait until next week for a call back from insurance co. Worst part, how long wait for a fix. Only planned to go out 2 or 3 times alternate weeks. Wife may not be around in another month or two. Nice guys. Hope something real bad happens to the them and their family.

I have a suggestion. Would like to have the head cop on Chicago PD deal likewise with the guy who was involved with a kidnapped a female cop who wouldn't talk. This guy got a free burial as the season's end.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #8
rfifer

When we first bought our trailer, we stored it in a commercial storage facility with electric gate access and cameras - except the cameras were not in the part of the lot where our trailer was parked. I went to check on it one Saturday and there were 5 ping dents in the front panel from what looked like a pellet gun. I reviewed the videos with the manager and nothing showed on the video recording to suggest who did it or how it was done. We changed facilities shortly after that and now have it parked in a different storage facility - electric gate access, high fence (15') with razor wire on top and a camera facing the parking area of our trailer and other RVs stored there. No problem since the move.

As far as LP tanks and battery, I remove them and store them in my garage.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
jkoenig24

It's safe UNTIL it isn't. You're basically taking a very valuable vehicle and leaving it UNATTENDED for extended periods of time. You pays your money and takes your chances.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #10

I own a storage facility, mostly indoor, no fences. We are part of the HOA but not behind the gates, they have drive around security 24/7. We have some outside spaces and have had a few propane tanks stolen, gas siphoned and a battery or two. A construction trailer was broken into and they got a bunch of tools. Sometimes insurance helps but deductibles don’t.
As far as my insurance goes they won’t issue me a policy unless they can view a copy of my contract. They want to be sure we aren’t liable for the renters property. My insurance is basically only good for liability and fire of the steel buildings and the concrete. Maybe my cameras, but then deductible of course.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:55 PM   #11

I store at a place with electronic gates, cameras, and they have a night guard. They also store high end cars from some car dealers overflow (brand new cars) and I’ve never had an issue or cause for concern.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #12

Outdoor storage facilities — safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMP View Post
I currently store my trailer on a parking spot in a self storage facility.

But how safe is it?

Sure, they have a barb wire fence and a gate with passcode.
But these storage places go out of their way to avoid any language in their agreements and marketing that would imply they provide any sort of security, as they don’t want any liability for theft.
Moreover, they demand to see your insurance before renting you a space.
I wonder if there’s any security guard at all doing rounds.

What’s your experience? Any thefts, damage?

I park on a military base storage compound. It’s fenced and locked but no cameras. I have never lost anything “yet”, in 10 years. I keep a cellular game camera on facing the main door. It won’t prevent anything from happening but I would get a notification and a photo if someone broke in.. if the storage compartments were broken in I wouldn’t have a clue.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #13

This is one of those question threads that makes me shake my head. There can be no answer as every storage is different. All you can do is research your particular storage facility and take your chances.
I am lucky to be able to store my RV at my house, but I have used storage facilities in various cities for various reasons with no theft or damage problems. Do your research, tour the facility, read the contract, ensure your insurance is adequate. It is all you can do.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:15 PM   #14

Two examples. After the DW retired we wanted to spend a little time in AZ so I found an RV park that stored travel trailers. Took it went down in Oct., before winter snows and was parked in an open area near the entrance to the park. Took it out for a couple weeks in Jan and returned it. Picked it up in May. No problems what so ever.
Parked the TT in the hay shed at the ranch where family trailers have been stored over the years without a problem. A recently released felon hit our place while the family was gone. He hit other RV's in storage in secure lots around the community as well. All depends on the luck of the draw and timing. BTW the perp got caught because a citizen reported suspicious activity, not thru police work, until then.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #15

My storage facility also stores exotic and collector cars. Not much shopping for storage as there are only three places all next to each other, nothing else for 40 miles around. I am always full with a waiting list. The most requested unit is a 12 x 30, some boats. One person has 5 of the largest units. Some have 4 and some have 3.
One was never opened in 13 years and another person I saw in the grocery store said, I was going to call you because there isn’t anything in my unit but I decided to keep it because they are too hard to get.
If it wasn’t so much hassle and expense with the government I would build another place. Mine is 1.4 acres that I built as my last job when I retired in 2003.
Just sharing from the other side, thought you might find it interesting.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #16

I think location is the key factor, but even in my very safe neighborhood consisting of mostly retirees, inside a locked facility in the middle of the neighborhood, with cameras, we've had a handful of issues.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
facility, outdoor, storage, theft