Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #1

Outside Shower Enclosure

For avid boondockers filling the gray water tank often occurs sooner than the Black tank. One source of the extra water can be from showers.

If one is tent camping in the boondocks it's not unusual to hang a "Shower Bag" from a tree limb, let the sun heat it, then shower. Sometimes in the "alltogether" and sometimes wearing a swimsuit to keep from shocking the creatures in nature

No issues with the shower water being dumped right on the ground. However if it goes into a gray tank it seems to be a BIG problem if it's dumped on the ground.

How many use their outside showers in order to conserve space in the gray tank?

Ran across a simple, and inexpensive enclosure I might consider for my outside shower, of course taking into consideration where the water will be draining. Usually not a problem in desert like areas though.

Amazon has this for under $40:

Water can be easily hauled from many sources but waste water is often a bigger problem when a proper dump site might be a lot farther away then a water faucet.

Just wondering if others have gone a similar route when Boondocking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

TM I agree for the most part the small amount of water form a shower is really no problem. When I worked for Burningman we did not allow gray water tanks to dump on the playa because of the amount of soap and food particles but you were talking many many thousands of folks in a confined space. Some burners made neat catch basins under their shower platforms that allowed the water to evaporate and the scum left behind was packed out.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #3

Plus, great to use with the outdoor shower too

2017 Vibe 268RKS
2018 Ram 2500
pbbandpab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #4

I don't have one of the enclosures, but have suggested to my wife that we get one for the very reason you mention, to avoid filling the gray tank with shower water. Would buy a couple of more days before needing to dump.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbandpab View Post
Plus, great to use with the outdoor shower too
You'll notice in the picture there's a flap that will line ip with most outdoor showers.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #6

Seems impractical since all shower water would be concentrated in a very limited area. Could get messy.
When you have separate galley and shower gray tanks, at least using the shower gray tank you can haul it off in buckets and spread it out (assuming the area allows shower water on the ground).

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Seems impractical since all shower water would be concentrated in a very limited area. Could get messy.
When you have separate galley and shower gray tanks, at least using the shower gray tank you can haul it off in buckets and spread it out (assuming the area allows shower water on the ground).
Definitely what you say could be a problem in some areas. That said most areas where I boondock have very sandy soil, sometimes just pure sand. You can dump 5 gallons of water directly on the ground and by the time you put the bucket away you only see a dark circle on the ground, no water.

One of these on the ground keeps the person from actually standing on the dirt. I've seen lots of people carry these folded up into campground showers so they don't have to stand on the floor (which may or may not have been cleaned since last use).

Old 11-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #8

I made an outdoor shower shelter out of pvc pipe and some cheap shower curtains. Made it 3 sided and the other side goes against the camper. I use it whenever possible due to being 6'4" and being pretty uncomfortable in the camper shower. I just wear flip flops so I dont have to stand in the dirt, stones or whatever we are parked on. Unfortunately I dont have any pics but its 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide I think.
Crispie0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #9

I had one with a tub floor to capture the waste water. Small boat bilge pump put it all in a wheeled tote. Camper had an outside shower with hot and cold water. Better than no shower -- and some campground showers.

-- Chuck
Old 11-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I had one with a tub floor to capture the waste water. Small boat bilge pump put it all in a wheeled tote. Camper had an outside shower with hot and cold water. Better than no shower -- and some campground showers.

-- Chuck
Thing about your own shower, inside or out, you get to shower on YOUR schedule.

I remember days in the past where I made the trek to the campground and either found no space available or they were closed for cleaning.

Tags
show, shower