Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

Parallel Generator

I just bought a Ryobi inverter generator from Home Depot...for $309 basically half off it was a display model...brand new...So far so good. (as quiet as my neighbors Yamaha...I am very pleased so far.) I rand my wife's 1800 con air hair dryer on full...full heat 3 or 4 minutes and it ran fine...surprised.

But, I have a question I know they make a parallel kit for this genny and others...

To run generators in parallel do they have to be the same brand or wattage output? I would assume not as long as the voltage output is the same or close.

It's my understanding that most of these inverter type generators have phase sync technology and that they will sync phases correctly...
MichaelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #2

It's not a good idea to mix generator makes or models when paralleling. They must each have the same number of phases, same phase to phase voltage, and the same phase rotation. When you mix make or models you are typically dealing with different governors, voltage regulators, and controllers. While they have phase sync technology, it's not any type of industry standard protocol and are generally designed to sync only with like makes/models. Results can be catastrophic.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

My yamaha manual specifically states to only parrellel with a yamaha of the same model number. I would never parrellel with another brand let alone a different wattage genny.

The reason is they have to have the same phase and output. To achieve this the engines have to be at the same speed. Each brand has their own technology and it is not uniform across all brands.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

I bought 2 of those ryobi generators at homedepot recently. I have the parallel kit from home depot as well (had to buy online though). I tried it once, but haven't used it yet on the trailer. I won't until end of may and end of june. Will also upgrade my batteries for extended stays at race tracks.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

Yeah I think I wont try two different brands...I called Ryobi and the tech said hmmm it might work because the technology for syncing is basically the same. But, then he said to not do it because it could void the warranty.

Anyway, thanks...It was a thought. So, far this generator really works great I have now tried many different loads on it with different combinations.
MichaelM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator