Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #21
lynnmarie0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Park models and destination trailers are just larger trailers for stationery placement. They aren't for moving around often since they would require more than a pickup truck.
You can visit any RV manufacturers website and find these types of trailers.
They are basically smaller mobile homes.
IS THIS WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT? https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Jayco-Jay-Flight-Bungalow-40BHS-2-BdRM-Double-Slide%2C-Bunkhous-5017070163
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BCD0C3E-B3B0-4449-949D-DAC1C75BFE68.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	258956  
Lynnmarie0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:30 PM   #22
lynnmarie0123

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
I wonder how much those cost to have moved. I couldn't see having a truck big enough to tow it if my intention was to just leave it somewhere all year.
I can answer this one! So towing a 32 foot fifth wheel from stroudsburgh pa to navarre fla i was quoted $2825, total with gas etc. another company was a little less….thats a semi truck….
Towed by Hyundai santa fe SUV
Front wheel drive
Rated for 2000 pounds
Lynnmarie0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:49 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnmarie0123 View Post
I don't know anything about Jayco since it's not a FR product but it looks like the FR park models I've seen.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
That does look like a destination trailer.

Typically the difference between a destination trailer and a park model is that the destination trailer still has a rubber roof like other RVs, still has a roof-top air conditioner like other RVs and usually has on-board grey and black water tanks.

Park models are almost like miniature houses where they have shingled roofs, regular house appliances and plumbing and require a separate external A/C and sewer hookups.

Destination trailers are mostly meant to stay in one place but they can be moved a little easier than a park model. They still require a pretty big truck though.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #25
waybeck2018

Quote:
Also we want to be able to move it easily if and when we need to or want to.

Lynnmarie, this is exactly why you should choose a TT or 5er IMHO. We have been using such a site for 14 years, but several times almost relocated due to change in ownership or management of the park. We use it year around when not on the road in our travel trailer. Options abound but my vote is for a TT or 5er as previously opinioned. We call it our "lake house" but so much less expensive than a lake side stick and brick place.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That does look like a destination trailer.

Typically the difference between a destination trailer and a park model is that the destination trailer still has a rubber roof like other RVs, still has a roof-top air conditioner like other RVs and usually has on-board grey and black water tanks.

Park models are almost like miniature houses where they have shingled roofs, regular house appliances and plumbing and require a separate external A/C and sewer hookups.

Destination trailers are mostly meant to stay in one place but they can be moved a little easier than a park model. They still require a pretty big truck though.

Good info that I never knew. So what's the difference between a park model and a mobile home?
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Good info that I never knew. So what's the difference between a park model and a mobile home?
I think it's mostly size. Park models have to be under 400 square feet. They are also registered and titled differently.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

This is our park model in our resort. It has an addition along with the park model. Once it's set up it's somewhat permanent and easier to just sell and buy a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	258965  
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

That looks great!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #30

We live in a mobile home park in SW Florida and have a few sites for snow birds. Two years ago, we had a Canadian with a MH that wanted to keep his rig permanently on one of the sites. Arrangement were made for him to do that. Rates for seasonal guest are reasonable for the surrounding area.

Then an insurance issue came up. This is hurricane country. The mobile homes are secured with hurricane straps. There was no way to do that with a MH. An unsecured MH in hurricane (or imbedded tornado) conditions could become a liability. Yes, a strong storm can damage mobile homes, but newer models have faired pretty well. The park members, though very friendly to winter guests voted to terminate the arrangement. Some decisions are pretty difficult when it is between friends and neighbors.

This may not be an issue in other campgrounds and camping resorts. As I recall, there is a commercial camping resort in Englewood,FL that had annual rates.

Another option is to place your unit in a storage facility in the off season.

Or, you may consider doing what we did. After selling our Florida sticks and bricks, we returned to camp for three months. After a month of resort camping, we decided to buy a mobile home in the same area of our previous residence. The price of a very nice double wide was equivalent to a 5th wheel. Taxes were low, it was convenient to everything and the association fees were a gift @$75/Mo. , That includes pool, club house and activities, kayak launch and grounds maintenance. It is a self-governed coop We have exclusive use of a new corporate boat dock that is maintained by the association. We pay @100 for rights to the dock. The agreement is transferrable to the new home owner. The association has been replacing private docks with corporate docks for over two years, We also have a secure storage area for boat. That is a flat $75 annually. With a very friendly community, there was nothing else to wish for.

There is one more advantage. Some of the members are permanent. They watch out for each other and each other's property.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #31

My cousing bought a lot and installed a concrete pad, large propane tank and septic. He parks his 5th wheel there and never moves it.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Thinking of buying a fifth wheel as a getaway for the wintertime. Are there CGs or resorts where i can park it permanently (or annually) in a site yr round anywhere in the US or just in the south…..id only use it in wintertime for 2-4 months…leave it there kinda like a second residence. Not sure if this is even an option. Thank you.
Of course, it's doable. Campgrounds depend on year round rentals for a steady source of income. You may not see them because they usually have one part of the campground reserved for "full timers".
We were camped in New York State and the campground had options for people who wanted to keep their rvs on a site year round and for those who camped for a couple of months in the summer, but wanted the year round rate. For those who camped for a couple of months and rented year round, the campground would tow the trailer to their onsite storage and rented the site to short term campers. Then they would tow and set up the trailer on the site when the year rounders needed the site for a couple of months.
We also have friends who live in their 5th wheel year round and rent a permanent site near Houston. They also allow the office to rent out their site when they are traveling with their 5th wheel. They even got permission to erect a storage shed on the site.
So, yes, it's possible, but you're going to have to pick and area you want and call around to the campgrounds in the area.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Why not just buy a mobile home somewhere? I don't understand why people take a perfectly road-worthy trailer and just leave it somewhere. I would think a mobile home would be a better, cheaper, and more durable option.
I know of some areas where mobile homes get taxed and trailers don't.
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:48 AM   #34
Site Team

I wonder what the OP ever decided on?

Tags
parking