Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

parking overnight at Walmart parking lot

I saw this video on Youtube and I was talking about this with another RV'er this summer...enjoy!

gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Team

He is echoing what I've been saying for years, on this topic.
Many Walmarts don't own the parking lot so they have no say on who can overnight. And many Walmarts are subject to city ordinances, EVEN if Walmart owns the parking lot land.
So many have said "if Walmart owns the land, then the city can't ban overnight parking, if Walmart permits it".
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
So many have said "if Walmart owns the land, then the city can't ban overnight parking, if Walmart permits it".
Actually cities CAN ban overnight parking by merely making it illegal to sleep in your RV/Car/Truck anywhere but in an RV park.

Frankly I think Walmart managers welcome City Ordinances that ban overnight parking. Cuts down on the stupid things people do and the crap some leave behind.

They have enough problem with people that come to shop and then think the parking lot is a great place to clean out their car and just dump the stuff in the parking space.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #4

Shucks, in my town we got hit with the sand boom. Went from no truck stops to 3rd currently being built. Trying to find a place for 1500 trucks plus a night. Truckers pull in anywhere they fit stay the night and use the parking lot to relieve themselves and clean out trucks. So yes I can see why wal mart wouldn’t want campers. I used to think that those that stayed would replenish supplies or buy something as a thank you for a free stay. However my understanding is many don’t anymore.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Many cities have ordinances that ban sleeping in vehicles.
But the homeless problem has pretty much made those ordinances unenforceable.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #6

Walmart has ALWAYS stated that they do NOT unwelcome overnight RVrs in their parking lots. They have always taken the same stance that they, themselves, have no issues with RV overnight parking.
While some local ordinances are created, and some will have 'no parking overnight' or similar signage in certain parts of their parking lot areas, Walmart, itself, does not prohibit it. It's up to the local authorities to enforce any legal parking ordinances, whether signage or not, and it's also up to the local authorities to ALLOW it, even if there ARE signs. You may find that it's very easy and acceptable in most places, and you may find that in a very few places it seems to be controlled more strictly, though I'll admit that in all our travels all across the country and over 100,000 miles over 5 years and PLENTY of simple overnights in the far corner of a Walmart or HD or Lowes or other business parking lot, we've NEVER been asked to move, or otherwise even seen a pause from any passing by sheriff, police, or other authority - they ride by and give it no concern.

As a sideline story, or stories, we pulled into one walmart where there were already several large motorhomes - parked over to one end/side and set up for the overnight. While I had seen a small truck with a yellow 'flashing' light on top ride thru several times, he didn't stop or pause near any of the RVs. Later, about the time I was stepping out to go check on the water pump, he happened to pull up right to my door, flashed a big SMILE, and asked us 'how long ya'll gonna be stayin' with us?!'... what a nice welcome!
The next morning I realized we had parked right UNDER the 'no overnight RV parking' SIGN! Walmart didn't care. Neither did the police cars that happened to cruise by overnight.

Another time, at a walmart, I had parked over on the far edge. I ran out the main slide on the curb/grass side, and was even outside setting up my 'manual' tripod satellite dish in the grass. A fellow walked up, introduced himself as the manager, and simply asked us if we could move back just a few yards, just to keep us out of the range of any turning 'semis' coming in overnight. I welcomed his request, and actually told him we appreciated walmart for being attentive and so kind to us RVrs - he responded that we were part of the 'life blood' of the walmart experience and were always welcomed!

We can all get crazy and make statements about how walmart is suddenly 'cracking down' on overnighting, but I'll bet that walmart has not had a single concern about it - it's all fiction.
If you are creating a negative situation in a parking lot, yes, you might see the long-arm of the law breathing down you neck. If you are a simple RV overnighter, I highly doubt ANY authority is going to care. Most actually wished they had your ability.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:36 PM   #7

We have also spent many nights parking overnight at Walmart. Interesting thing happened several years ago as my wife and I were on our way to Washington DC for the fourth of July. We stopped at a Kroger's to pick up a few supplies and while in the store, I asked the manager if we could park for a few hours and get some sleep. He responded that would not be a problem but the store would be closing at midnight. Wife and I had dinner and were getting ready to call it a night when two young police officers drove up. I went out to meet them and explained our intentions and that we had spoken with the manager. He repeated that the store would be closing at midnight and that this really was not a good part of town. We agreed to leave and offered them each a serving of leftover Quail dinner which they accepted and drove off. We began preparing to leave but about 30 minutes later the same officers drove back, thanked us for the meal and said not to worry about leaving. They said they would be parked next to us until their shift ended and that someone else would come when they left. We had security until we left early the next morning
Moral of the story is be respectful and kind and it will be reciprocated.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #8

This is why Walmart is banning RV camping, EP. 2 (TOWED AWAY!)
Old 04-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #9

About that Walmart RV squatters video...
Old 04-13-2020, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcharles View Post
About that Walmart RV squatters video...
He's got a point.

We've only stayed overnight at WalMart when were to tired and we always shop the store to stock up on supplies.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

...as it should be, reasonably.

Tags
parking