Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

Parking tiles, parking pavers, etc

We are thinking about putting something like these in our yard to provide a turn around spot. I was wondering if anyone has used these or something like them.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200813-211326.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	236523
Old 08-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #2

Just curious why?? Or to park on?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

Up front, I haven't used those or anything similar. My thought, since you said "a turn around spot", I would be concerned that you will be breaking the plastic. I had considered a parking spot myself. For it, I was considering a cement product. I'd think the cement would hold up better long term. I think this is what I had considered using: https://unilock.com/product/turfstone-ontario/
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

The story behind this is we have a long, long driveway, approx 1,100 feet. Down a hill, around a curve. We have a gravel parking spot. As it stands right now I back out 5th wheel down it and out into our dead end road. We are planning on widening our driveway entrance so I can just drive down our road and pull in. Right now I circle the neighborhood and back down to our dead end so I can pull into our driveway. With a turn around spot I will be able to get the camper backed into it's parking spot that we plan on putting a metal framed roof over it. We are on the top of a hill and our options are limited. With the possible turn around I could use my yard. As it stands here in S/E TN it rains like it is a temperate rain forest and I can't drop a truck tire or camper tire off without making deep ruts.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #5

Thanks for your explanation. Knowing that I have never used the product, but I doubt that it will work for your situation.

Good Luck !!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #6

I think the concerns, are when you are backing and filling with the trailer(the way we do when we're slip sliding into a camp spot on pavement), and your tires are moving sideways as much as in the direction you're going, the grid system even when filled with aggregate, may/might/could collapse(upright ribs fold over).

Do you see a need for the grid system, versus something like a crushed limestone base of CA6? A good limestone base about 4 to 6 inches thick, ends up being pretty substantial. Once it's packed and watered in, it stays much better than gravel or other loose aggregate.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

I used these, a similar product.

https://www.amazon.com/TRUEGRID-Perm.../dp/B01D3P7GZU

I used them to support a portion of our lawn between a pad I built for the trailer and the street. They worked quite well, even with a little slope.

Of course, I did a bunch of digging and putting stone and cloth underneath, per directions. Easy to install once that foundation was all set.

Spread topsoil, planted seed and the grid is barely noticeable. Supports truck and trailer tires with no ruts in lawn.

Bottom line: I'm glad I did this.

(I do have a leftover box.... )
mtb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #8

In northern California, I used both decomposed granite and a product called Pack Gravel for my storage area. The reason is that both products pack down very well and don't get destroyed by a trailer turning (sliding) on it, but more important, water easily drains down through it so the tires don't stand in a wet or muddy surface. Also in summer, the temperature is cooler than asphalt or cement.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

With PROPER site prep BEFORE installing, they will work well.
They will provide good support to the R/V as long as they sit on good support and can be filled with top soil and even grass planted on them. (as long as you know where they are once the grass grows!)
Without, they simply sink into the soil and become useless.

Turfstone is a far better product if you are wanting something to grow over it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

If it's the same... this product is called egg crate. I've used in in a business park in the SF Bay area on internal 12 foot concrete walkways... with this on the outer edges another 4 feet on each side... with the base material, the egg crate, filled in the holes with top soil and then a thin layer of top soil over the top of the egg crate and planted with grass. This was a requirement from the local fire district in order to have a solid base for fire ground operations if needed so their apparatus would not become stuck in an emergency. It works well and can be "hidden" from sight.
Chris Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #11

can you get crushed concrete
Long shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

Parking

Our friends have the tiles (In grass)where we park in front of their house. But this is straight in parking. I saw them in a parking lot in Houston, with rocks Around and in the tiles, it didn’t take long and the tiles started coming up. Tripping hazard.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #13

If you are planning to put these in an area that needs to have grass, they will work provided you follow all instructions for base preparation. Crushed gravel or concrete is a better, cheaper option.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #14

As others have said above, they will work providing you install them over a 6"stone base and fabric. I am not sure I would be comfortable doing hard turning on them. I would think they would peel up.

They are deceptively expensive for what they are, cost about 2.30 /c.f. plus fabric, stone and excavation. As 5 picker stated above other options are out there for the same price. I assume turf stone he mentioned is similar to turfpavers which is what they call them in my area. They are a concrete porous type paver.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #15

Thank you all for your input. To help give more info on my end about what we would like to make happen. This is an overhead view of our situation. The camper is pulled in, nose North. We would like to install a metal cover over the parking spot. That would preclude me from being able to drive to the left of the camper to back in front. We are looking at using the area of the yard just north of the Cypress tree line. We will flare the east side of the driveway so I can just pull in. The house is on a hill and we are limited as to our options. If I could pull in, I will need to spot to turn around and back the camper under the cover. And when we are ready to camp we just hook up and go. For the past 8 years of our camping life, I have had to back the Surveyor and now our Cougar 5th wheel down the driveway. It takes a few minutes and I have to have someone out in the road to stop traffic as I back out onto the road. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200814-222921.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	236608
Old 08-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #16

We have about the same layout on our farm but not as far back from the road. In Ohio, we have limestone rock. Regardless of the type of rock (never use smooth rock) they are graded by size. Put #2s (3"-4" rocks) down as about a 6" base which is what's laid down at construction sites which just about anything can drive on, even cement trucks. After construction, a 2"-3" layer of 411 chips and dust (or the equivalent) is laid over the #2s to form a smooth driveway. From the aerial view, that's probably how your driveway was made originally. Works great. Forms a perfect base if you decide to pave or put concrete over it later.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #17

Just to revisit and update our plan. We punted on the turn around in the front and have decided to widen our driveway entrance so we can pull in and pull out. For the camper parking spot it is now going to be in the backyard. There is a play set there that I need to get apart and reassemble at our church. Our son is 14 and has been on it in years. We will clear a path into our woods to make it happen.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201030-115749~2.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	242499

Tags
parking