Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

Passport America?

I'm thinking about joining passport America America to save $$ on campsites while traveling. Any Thoughts? Worth it or Not? All opinions appreciated.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
I'm thinking about joining passport America America to save $$ on campsites while traveling. Any Thoughts? Worth it or Not? All opinions appreciated.
I am interested in the answers as well. So far I have read good things but do not have any real world experience.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

I have been a Passport America member for about 4 years now and I think that it is money well spent. I would advise that you will need to be careful of the CG's that you are looking at and read all of the fine print. Most of the CG's will put limits on how long you can stay with the reduced price. Also some of them will even put limits on what days during the week you can stay and then others will put limits on the time of year that they will accept the Passport America membership. But even with these limits you can save money if you do a lot of camping each year and plan your camping so that you can take advantage of the CG's that are in the area that you will be going to. I have found some CG's that do not put limits on your stay and these are the CG's that i try to use more than the ones that limit your stay to either one night or just during the week or just during the winter. So please just be aware of the limits that some CG's put on the Passport America pricing. One last thing, some CG's will charge you extra for certain amenities and will not let you reserve one of the special sites using Passport so just read the fine print on each CG.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

I joined last year and the first 3 days I used it was paid for. At half price it doesn't take long to pay off the $44 bucks, it's well worth the money
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #5

We have been PA users for several years,if you travel a lot it will save you $$,if you don't travel save your $$! In most cases you recover the PA fee after just 2-3 stops! Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

over the last three years, we've save a lot of money with PA, ... a few months ago they were offering their lifetime membership, .... its only offered occasionally and when I found out it's "one time" transferable, we upgraded to that, ... now when we get tired of having fun we can pass it on to my son and let them enjoy it as well, ....

each participating cg sets its own rules about how often and when they honor the discount, .... but from our experience it is well worth the membership fee, ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #7

It has come in handy. Some campgrounds do not allow the 1/2 price deal on weekends. FYI.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

Di joined last year as well, I was never able to use it, as they don't discount on weekends or holiday's. So I am not renewing. I had great success with joining KOA
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #9

We found a lot of PA parks out west are not parks we would want to stay at, and we aren't that picky. Just research the park before you go
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

PA is generally the first book we grab when looking for a stop. I'd say about 1/3 of the places we stay at we found via PA

Most PAs have restrictions on usage (i.e. summer, winter, weekends, holidays, # of days, etc. READ THE FINE PRINT...

A lot of the PAs are older sites, so do a little homework. As mentioned by NMWildCat, there may be places you might not wish to stay. I use Google "Earthview" and "Street view" to check out prospective sites and location.

A lot are off the beaten path, which is OK with us (we generally like to get away from the freeway).
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #11
Retired

Agree with above post concerning "do your homework before booking". We check Good Sam Club CG review plus the CG reviews on the web. Not all PA CGs are created equal but there are a few left that honor the original PA concept...5 nights at 50% off rates...we recouped your PA fees in one stop...Pumpkin Patch RV Resort, Hermon, Maine

Happy Trails
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #12

As mentioned there can be restrictions, you won't find any RV sites that honor it in Florida in the winter. Many limit it to Monday-Thursday or length of stay. it's great for one or two night enroute stops. For the price it works great and pays for itself in a couple stays. For a weekend camper it won't have much advantage. Good Sam is OK as it gives you a 10% discount. If you are a VET you can get 10% in many places. I don't go to many RV resorts, except for rallys and prefer state parks and COE campgrounds, I like a little more room between campsites. If you are 62 or older get an America the Beautiful lifetime pass. Currently a one time cost of $10 but they are kicking it around to raise it to $80 which will still be a good deal. It gives you free entrance to most national parks (I believe Zion is now $35 and Bryce $25. don't remember Grand Canyon) and 50% discount at COE campground and sometimes a discount for entrance at select museums.

As far as good or bad campsites it is always best to check recent reviews. Just because it is low priced doesn't always make it bad. Some just don't have the pool and tennis court but are great stops for local sightseeing.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Campingworld is having an internet sale on Passport America Annual Memberships for $39.95. Passport America - 1 Year - Directories & Guides - Camping World
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #14

as stated...weekends prolly not so much. I have a PA and have yet to use. If i don't see a benefit I will not renew(duhh)... I am sure full-time would I would reap benefits.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

If you are looking for a resort with Ferris Wheels and Olympic pools , maybe not . BUT we spend months on the road and PA is always our first choice for short stays .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #16

membership renewal info ......

we have the Passport America Lifetime membership now and use it , .... but before we got that, nearing the end of the membership period, they would offer an additional 4 months for renewing, ... that's a 33percent discount for the next year, .... just wanted to let that be known for anyone who might be interested, ....

their site(link below) is very user friendly, ... ANYONE(you don't have to be a member to see this) can go there and click on "Campgrounds", then any state and see all the participating cg's and where they're located in that state, .... clicking on any cg balloon will open the info page for that cg(address,price,rules,even a link to their own website, ect.), ....

https://passportamerica.com/

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
we have the Passport America Lifetime membership now and use it , .... but before we got that, nearing the end of the membership period, they would offer an additional 4 months for renewing, ... that's a 33percent discount, .... just wanted to let that be know for anyone who might be interested, ....

their site(link below) is very user friendly, ... ANYONE(you don't have to be a member to see this) can go there and click on "Campgrounds", then any state and see all the participating cg's and where they're located in that state, .... clicking on any cg balloon will open the info page for that cg(address,price,rules,even a link to their own website, ect.), ....

https://passportamerica.com/
Thanks! I just purchased an annual membership @ $39.95 through CampingWorld. I think that also includes an additional 3 months for Good Sam Members.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #18

Any thousand trail users out there? Planning on starting our travels in just over a year and looking into different clubs.
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sport