Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

pay as you go satellite tv ??

I need feed back on what to do here .. We presently do NOT have a satellite dish,recievers anything at all in our home or 5th wheel, We presently have a "bundle package" of cable, phone , and so called high speed internet at home(comcast). Our Package is up for renewal in November, After 2 calls to dish network and direct tv they DO NOT offer a ""package in our area at this time. SO..In the process of getting what we want..do we have other options ?? We will be going to a rv park in Florida .Jan 1 - mid march , which has wi-fi throughout... but wants $38 a month for basic cable...
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I need feed back on what to do here .. We presently do NOT have a satellite dish,receivers anything at all in our home or 5th wheel, We presently have a "bundle package" of cable, phone , and so called high speed Internet at home(Comcast). Our Package is up for renewal in November, After 2 calls to dish network and direct TV they DO NOT offer a ""package in our area at this time. SO..In the process of getting what we want..do we have other options ?? We will be going to a RV park in Florida .Jan 1 - mid march , which has wifi throughout... but wants $38 a month for basic cable...
We have the same dilemma. Comcast is the only service that broadcasts all the Phillies games without blackouts. Even the high end SAT programming Sports packages like MLB Season Ticket blacks out when we are home and on the road because the credit card's Zip is the determining factor.

So far we have been surviving on Internet based TV when we have a solid Internet connection. HuLu; Netflix; SyFy; TNT; USA; and Network TV all have Internet broadcasts of their programming. Some require subscriptions to the shows and it is truly "Ala Carte" programming.
Some just have "extra" commercials in them.

One day we will find a solution to this but for now that is the entire deal. We "require" Comcast at home, but have considered getting a SAT unit just for TV, but most campgrounds include free cable if it is available at all or free wireless Internet. It has been tough justifying the extra cost of an additional TV service.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I have Directv and my local cable provider for internet only at the house. I can take a reciever with me for the camper and have purchased a portable dish/antenna. My phone is exclusively cell phone. I use this device when we are home;
Gigaset One Cell Bluetooth Cell Phone Docking Station Device Home Telephone

Both of our phones connect through this device and ring thru the home phone system.

When I'm on the road I use the "hot spot" capability on my cell phone for broad band.

Another option is to check a company like Vonage for IP phone. I know they offer some interesting products.

My monthly tv/phone/broadband costs my a combined of about 275.00, but it does let me take it everywhere.........
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #4

we have dish network for tv at home. i have a winguard (carry out?) that finds the sat. dish now offers a receiver and dish (looks like the vue cube) that finds the sats also for $499. wish they had had it when i bought mine last year.
we live in two places so i got rid of my home phone w/unlimited long distance and a price of $65/mo (at one place) and went to verrizon home phone for $24 w/unlimited long distance. the verizon home phone can go in the trailer and is more like talking on the land line. works much better than the cell. i did give up being able to fax.
we use wifi when available. the campground, we frequent in tn, doesn't have wifi except in the rec hall. we have the mifi that we pay $35/mo for. has 3g included and charges another $10 for ea g u go over. we use exclusively in one home. so far, we haven't exceeded the 3g. (replaced Hughes net. mifi is faster. for high speed, that and wild blue are the only options).
dish network advertises their tail gate setup as ideal for tailgating and RV. u can turn it on at beginning of season and off at end of season without fee. still have to pay monthly charge for subscription.
on the mifi, if u using it for tv, it could get expensive. don't know how much data has to be sent to get tv but my HD camcorder uses abt 5g/hr of recording.
we are still trying to consolidate; we have too many phone numbers. still having problems giving up the home phone for the cell...guess it's a mind set.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

We have Comcast here in upper Bucks Co PA.
I just ordered a Slingbox solo ($110) from Amazon.
For those that don’t know, with a Slingbox you can stream your home cable programing to any internet connected PC or smartphone anywhere in the world. With Slingbox there’s a onetime charge for the box & that’s it.
No additional monthly fees.

My Droid Pro can act as a wifi hotspot if regular wifi is not available.
My Droid is on the Verizon network. I also have a company air card on the Sprint network.

I’ll hook up my netbook to the flat screen in our 5er with a HDMI cable.
So starting next week we’ll have our current familiar channel lineup wherever we go.

I also ordered a Torpedo Entertainment Digital Movie Projector 72’ from Amazon $176. While cleaning out the basement for a garage sale we ran across an old fashion slide show screen. That got me to thinking. We can take the screen, netbook & projector with us & show movies outdoors after dark.

Anymore I really can’t keep a straight face when I say “we’re going camping”.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies everyone !! And some ideas to consider..I had called comcast here where we live, and asked.. if i could transfer my service to Fla. for 3 months ,they said NO !! And i would still have to pay a $18 a month fee for it ..while not at home
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

I do not what your local government has allowed your local cable companies to do. However, if it is like ours we can delete all services we want and still retain Internet.

Look around your neighbohood and see who has what satellite distributor. It really does not matter whther it is Direct or Dish, etc. When your contract comes up for renewal delete all the services you do not want and go subscribe to one of the satellite providers.

Using SD satellite receivers is a breeze. HD is somewhat more complicated and expensive. All you need do is bring one of your receivers with you or add another receiver that you plan to use in the TT. Chances are adding a fulltime receiver on your satellite contract is as expensive as pay-as-you go.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness
I have Directv and my local cable provider for internet only at the house. I can take a reciever with me for the camper and have purchased a portable dish/antenna. My phone is exclusively cell phone. I use this device when we are home;
Gigaset One Cell Bluetooth Cell Phone Docking Station Device Home Telephone

Both of our phones connect through this device and ring thru the home phone system.

When I'm on the road I use the "hot spot" capability on my cell phone for broad band.

Another option is to check a company like Vonage for IP phone. I know they offer some interesting products.

My monthly tv/phone/broadband costs my a combined of about 275.00, but it does let me take it everywhere.........
I'm going to have to order the Gigaset. I didn't know they had anything like this. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We have the same dilemma. Comcast is the only service that broadcasts all the Phillies games without blackouts. Even the high end SAT programming Sports packages like MLB Season Ticket blacks out when we are home and on the road because the credit card's Zip is the determining factor.

So far we have been surviving on Internet based TV when we have a solid Internet connection. HuLu; Netflix; SyFy; TNT; USA; and Network TV all have Internet broadcasts of their programming. Some require subscriptions to the shows and it is truly "Ala Carte" programming.
Some just have "extra" commercials in them.

One day we will find a solution to this but for now that is the entire deal. We "require" Comcast at home, but have considered getting a SAT unit just for TV, but most campgrounds include free cable if it is available at all or free wireless Internet. It has been tough justifying the extra cost of an additional TV service.
same issue here with dish and the texas rangers/texas tech/dallas cowboys games...we get them all at home, but once your traveling your subject to blackouts....thus we use the sling feature to sling our home based channels to our tv (when cell or wifi is available which is 99% of the places we go)

we had a "bundle" before with suddenlink, but the HD wasnt as good as dish, and thier "high speed" internet was a joke compared to the fiber to end user i have now.....like 3meg a sec download vs 12meg with my fiber....in the end it wasnt that much more expensive anyway...

dish will only let you "lease" 4 boxes though, so if you have a LOT of HD tvs in your house and you want to watch them ALL in HD, you have to spring for your own boxes after the first 4.....

in the end you just gotta weigh your wants with the cost and figure out whats the best solution for YOUR needs....

I use my phone as a hotspot while traveling, but slinging dish can eat up data....i have a 5gig plan, and i generally exceed that by 2-3 gigs monthly...so that is an additional cost to think about as well....

there is no easy solution.....except just say forget it! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #10

oh, and the "sling" portion of my dish is part of the home reciever...no additional equip is necessary. That allows you to watch ANY of your home programming on an ipad, iphone, android, or ANY web based compter....in the trailer i just use a hdmi cord to the tv...i believe the model is a dish 912....its a dual tuner box with sling capability built in.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 AM   #11

Here is a update..We now have Direct TV in the Home and a free RV kit (look in Trailer life magazine for a package ) $50 per month also..Verizon hotspot 5 gigs of data per month ..$50..get a referral from someone you know and save $100 on the Direct TV !!..No more home phone...(mostly annoyance type calls anyway !!) So far ..we are pleased
Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Villa Estate 392FLFB

since i have a full time spot we have high speed at "home" and they offer DSL tv through it so that is what we have. somehow its gotten over $120/month.. thinking they added trial packages that have expired and have to pay for again..