Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Retired

PDI and the Underbelly

Having read the many Threads on PDIs and the many comments you all have posted has anyone request the salesman /Tech to inspect the inside of the Underbelly for possible leaks from the tanks, plumping; wires, conduits, and ductwork are properly installed and that there is the appropriate amount of insulation.
Thanks for your inputs
Happy Trails
Old 02-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

I have never heard of anyone doing that, however If you were willing to pay the labor cost for removal and replacing you may get someone to do it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

Depending on the model, the underbelly can be sealed up with no "exposure" of the components you are concerned about. Any issues may have to show up on down the road and be addressed under warranty.
I did my PDI at the dealership. They had a RV parking area with full hook ups.
I ran every system during an overnight stay. Had a new microwave installed the next morning and was on my way.
Good luck,
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

PDI and underbelly

You could ask,but I doubt they would do it. I have a similar model to yours the 2715. Removing the bottom coroplast is a lot of work and time consuming. the reason I know, is because, Due to no heat in the bedroom I removed mine to find out why. What I found out was that the duct work to the bedroom was smashed almost closed where it went over the axles and many other potential problem's like kinked freshwater fill line,gray tank supports spreading out to the point where the tank was ready to drop through,also there is no insulation. So I would think if you have a problem with your trailer they will fix it but they aren't going to look for problems.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

Probably no more chance than getting a truck dealer to pull the oil pan and check the gasket.........as an example.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

And if you could talk someone into pulling the coroplast, you'd be there another 6 weeks with someone trying to correct what could be considered 'cost cutting corners.'
It is a nightmare of plumbing, wiring and heating in there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Retired

Gentlemen, Thanks for your inputs...points well taken.
I like the idea of having a mock camp site at the dealer with an overnight.
Happy Trails
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #8

When buying a camper or truck, new or used, I take my mechanics creeper with me from my garage and do an inspection myself. Of course you won't find every possible problem, but on my new camper I found wires that were sagging and touching against the slide-out drive shaft and one other location that needed to be secured higher up on the camper before I took delivery. Look for any spots that were not painted thoroughly, where welds weren't properly made, any dents or damage, missing or loose rivets on the aluminum skirting, or any obvious rusting from the "new" camper being in a dealer's lot overwinter or transported from Indiana over salty winter highways. Look for any places where the spray-on foam sealant around pipes or wiring was missing or wasn't fully filling any gaps.

We did camp our first night at the dealership so any problems we found initially were repaired before we towed home (150 miles) for the first time.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
When buying a camper or truck, new or used, I take my mechanics creeper with me from my garage and do an inspection myself. Of course you won't find every possible problem, but on my new camper I found wires that were sagging and touching against the slide-out drive shaft and one other location that needed to be secured higher up on the camper before I took delivery. Look for any spots that were not painted thoroughly, where welds weren't properly made, any dents or damage, missing or loose rivets on the aluminum skirting, or any obvious rusting from the "new" camper being in a dealer's lot overwinter or transported from Indiana over salty winter highways. Look for any places where the spray-on foam sealant around pipes or wiring was missing or wasn't fully filling any gaps.

We did camp our first night at the dealership so any problems we found initially were repaired before we towed home (150 miles) for the first time.
By any chance, did your units have open undersides such that you could see all the above without removing a corrugated plastic (coroplast) underbelly cover? It appears the OP might have a cover across all of the bottom of his unit such that all that would have to be removed before an inspection could be done. That's the part that would be time/money consuming.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
By any chance, did your units have open undersides such that you could see all the above without removing a corrugated plastic (coroplast) underbelly cover? It appears the OP might have a cover across all of the bottom of his unit such that all that would have to be removed before an inspection could be done. That's the part that would be time/money consuming.

The closed undercarriage would prohibit a full view, but it should be viewed nevertheless. My two past campers did not have the corrugated plastic. I wouldn’t pay to have it removed & replaced.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi, underbelly