Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

PDI appointment requires payment?

I have a question. I was attempting to purchase a trailer in another state. They wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold it for me. We were not comfortable with that and told them that we would take our chances on loosing it, but would like to come in this Saturday (500 miles from home) as long as it was still available on Friday and make the purchase. They had given me 3 time slots for PDI in a previous email. I asked to be scheduled for one and was told that I could not schedule PDI without a deposit.
I explained that I did not want to pay for something I had never seen. I asked what would happen if a major problem revealed itself during the inspection. He at that point said that if something major (no interpretation) did come up - he would return our money but that no dealer would put the time needed into readying a trailer without a deposit. He did say that I could drive down twice if I wanted - once without my trade in to see the unit and then again after placing a deposit on it.
Is this true? I feel like he should ready the trailer on his dime - not mine, but do not know if this is standard practice or not
bconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

I think you are expecting to much, why should the dealer spend his money on a "maybe" sell, it is their employee's spending time getting something ready and if you don't buy it then it goes back on the lot for more people to go thru and get all dirty and possibly stuff broken. Go look at it, if you like it, plan on spending a few days there looking at the sites why the dealer gets it ready, if they would go for that.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm going to side with the dealer on this one.

A proper PDI will include placing a battery in service, filling propane tanks, dewinterizing (if necessary) going over the unit to check for anything out of the ordinary and doing all the necessary things to assure a proper delivery.

I don't think you can ask that of a anyone without a deposit.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Scoundrel

I could see them wanting a refundable deposit just to be sure that they have a serious buyer. But asking for a non-refundable deposit on a TT that you've never seen seems wrong.

If you're having this much trouble with the dealer while trying to buy something, imagine what would happen if there are real problems later.

My .02

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Team

RV sales are at an all time high and dealers are busy ( shows and prep for 2018 season). Your reluctance to give them the deposit may have caused them to question your intentions. A good PDI requires some work as mentioned above. Some of that prep ( ie add a battery) means additional work if you don't show. Might suggest that you call and offer a compromise. You will give them a deposit if they will provide in writing that they will refund the deposit if you find any major issues.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

Personal opinion...I will never side with a dealer. They have only one priority...to sell you a rig. After then it's on you. And the fact that you live 500 miles away from the dealer is one for them. If anything needs to be fixed/replaced, you will find that you'll most likely have to take it back to them. Your biggest problem is the distance you are from the dealer. A day there and a day back is a bit much. If I were in your shoes I would spend a day going to see the rig, and check it out before the dealer has a chance to "do anything" to it.
If its been there awhile you should be able to spot any leaks, broken/missing items that need repair, ect.
Any leaks or major problems, walk away. If your comfortable with the rig, then give them the deposit and have them do a PDI. And recheck their work...get EVERYTHING spelled out in writing, with a managers signature. Never, ever take a salesman or manager's "word" that something will be done.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I could see them wanting a refundable deposit just to be sure that they have a serious buyer. But asking for a non-refundable deposit on a TT that you've never seen seems wrong.

If you're having this much trouble with the dealer while trying to buy something, imagine what would happen if there are real problems later.

My .02
How is he having trouble with the dealer? it is expensive to prepare a camper for a PDI and then the walk though. Why should the dealer allow a refundable deposit, that would be no different than doing the PDI with out a deposit, the buyer could walk away with no responsibilities. Why not find out if the dealer would apply the deposit to another camper if the one they are looking at does not work out.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
I have a question. I was attempting to purchase a trailer in another state. They wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold it for me. We were not comfortable with that and told them that we would take our chances on loosing it, but would like to come in this Saturday (500 miles from home) as long as it was still available on Friday and make the purchase. They had given me 3 time slots for PDI in a previous email. I asked to be scheduled for one and was told that I could not schedule PDI without a deposit.
I explained that I did not want to pay for something I had never seen. I asked what would happen if a major problem revealed itself during the inspection. He at that point said that if something major (no interpretation) did come up - he would return our money but that no dealer would put the time needed into readying a trailer without a deposit. He did say that I could drive down twice if I wanted - once without my trade in to see the unit and then again after placing a deposit on it.
Is this true? I feel like he should ready the trailer on his dime - not mine, but do not know if this is standard practice or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post

My .02
Not sure I read where the deposit was 100% non-refundable?
Sounds like the dealer IS trying to work with them.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Side with the dealer on this one. Something comes up and all of a sudden you don't feel like a 500 mile drive. There are a lot of people that can't keep appointments or promises that are only a 5 mile drive.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

I would prolly ask for a gentleman’s agreement to hold till?? Then ask how long to prep if the sale is made. Same day? Next day? Then drive, look, decide(may like another unit better) then buy or walk. Ymmv.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #11

Rv wholesalers in ohio had a non refundable deposit as well when we purchased and we were coming from a ways away just like you. I was a little hesitant at first. but after they explained the work that goes into getting it ready and such, I understood. They informed me that they didn’t always do it that way, but unfortunately they had been stuck too many times. Their policy is that it is non refundable, but it can be transferred toward any other unit.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not sure I read where the deposit was 100% non-refundable?
Sounds like the dealer IS trying to work with them.
Second full sentence of the OPs 1st post "They wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold it for me."
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #13

Unfortunately it seems the days of a good faith handshake (or verbal agreement)at rv and Auto dealers has passed....
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
Yes, it is standard practice in my experience... However, we need to make sure about terminology here. He's not readying the trailer on your dime. Your deposit goes towards the purchase price. A PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) is a thorough inspection of a new unit before a customer takes delivery of the unit. It's very time intensive, required by a host of policies, and in some states require by law. So no, they will not perform a PDI unless they know you ARE going to purchase and that usually requires a deposit. It is just like putting 'good faith' money on a house you are making an offer on.

The reason they want a non-refundable deposit is so that you change your mind in the coming days, they won't lose a sale if somebody else comes along. If an issue arises in the inspection you'll have three options. 1) have it repaired 2) find another unit where your deposit can be transferred 3) or if they can't find suitable resolutions to 1 and 2, refund your deposit.

You do not need a PDI if you are just looking at trailers trying to decide which one to buy. If you've already made your decision about which brand, model, etc... and are ready to buy, you need to put down a deposit, schedule a PDI, and enjoy!
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #15

Hard to shake hands from 500 miles away, you would think there would be something closer, I never would have driven that far to meet my wife.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Lets go camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
You do not need a PDI if you are just looking at trailers trying to decide which one to buy. If you've already made your decision about which brand, model, etc... and are ready to buy, you need to put down a deposit, schedule a PDI, and enjoy!
X2

i side with the dealer, as bad as that sounds lol. PDI take several hours because they wash the exterior, clean the inside, perform state inspections if necessary, etc.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go UK View Post
Hard to shake hands from 500 miles away, you would think there would be something closer, I never would have driven that far to meet my wife.
MMMmmm. Don't tell her that!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #18

Plain and dimple, find a dealer closer to home, go and look at what they have. I can’t see any dealer giving a PDI without a commitment to buy. You can look it over all you want for free then ask to have any issues fixed before PDI.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Second full sentence of the OPs 1st post "They wanted a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold it for me."
I referenced that. (if you took the time to read)

The OP also said lower in that post... "He at that point said that if something major (no interpretation) did come up - he would return our money"

Old 02-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #20

I concur with the majority. Dealer is right. That's a lot of work to prep a camper. Would be nice if you could take peoples word that they're going to show, but if you've ever sold anything on Craigslist you know that most people now days are complete losers and their word means nothing. And I just have to say this for those talking about a "refundable deposit"- that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. If you can get it back, it's not a deposit. That makes about as much sense as the guy wmtire was talking about in another thread wanting to leave a declined credit card as a "deposit" while they go get some cash!!!!! The only time one should expect to get a deposit back is if the dealer didn't hold up their end- the unit was damaged, different, misrepresented, etc.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi