Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
PDI-new to RV'ing

Am expecting a call in the next 4-6 weeks from RVW in Ohio that our 2014 Wildcat 282RKX is in and ready for pickup.

This will be our first RV of any kind and would like to know if there is a Professional PDI inspector that can be hired to walk through with us and the dealer. Thinking we will get the bums rush on the PDI (since it's our first) and just need someone to slow the process down.

Anyone with any ideas, or that is interested & qualified to do it, please post here or send a PM.

Thanks in advance,

Cover Dog....waiting to sign-up for Goshen
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #2

Your tech doing the pdi should be the expert but who knows. Take a video camera along and have your wife record things so you can look back at. Tell the guy to go slow and this is your first so he can point out all the basics to the more elaborate things. If you have a camping friend ask him to come along. He would prob know what to ask or look out for. Good luck
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

PDI-new to RV'ing

Not sure if anyone does a PDI for you, however I was a MOC (Montana owners club) member and they have a PDI list that is very informative. If you can't find anyone to check out the unit, you have time to read over the list and study up on things to look at. Even if you find someone it's still a good idea to bone up on it. Congratulations on your new trailer. This is the list. http://montanaowners.com/PDI.html
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
The reason I ask was because when I was talking with the salesman or finance mgr. and had ask about the PDI. I ask if the tanks would be filled with propane and was told no, they don't have it on site. I am wondering how they will show me the HW tank, stove top, oven, furnace & fridge are working on propane.

I plan on taking a tank with me for just this purpose.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #5

I would insist they fill them for the purpose of the PDI. Small price for them to pay for what you are spending. They have to test everything to fill out warranty papers, so propane should be on them.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Am expecting a call in the next 4-6 weeks from RVW in Ohio that our 2014 Wildcat 282RKX is in and ready for pickup.

This will be our first RV of any kind and would like to know if there is a Professional PDI inspector that can be hired to walk through with us and the dealer. Thinking we will get the bums rush on the PDI (since it's our first) and just need someone to slow the process down.

Anyone with any ideas, or that is interested & qualified to do it, please post here or send a PM.
Congrats on your new camper. A good PDI is important and you could do your own (following a checklist is a must) or there are services available that do this service. Here is one... RVpdi.com

I don't have experience with using a service, but maybe that works for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #7

I just got a new 5th wheel last month. Just looking at PDI form that the dealer filled out and we both signed. This is what is sent to Forest River to start your warranty. There are boxes to check off for each and every appliance and a whole section about the propane system itself. This makes them responsible to fill the tanks. If $25 is going to break them, you need to walk away IMO.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
The reason I ask was because when I was talking with the salesman or finance mgr. and had ask about the PDI. I ask if the tanks would be filled with propane and was told no, they don't have it on site. I am wondering how they will show me the HW tank, stove top, oven, furnace & fridge are working on propane.

I plan on taking a tank with me for just this purpose.
I would consider another RV dealer that can handle LP. This would be like picking up a car from a lot with an empty gas tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Just an FYI, they can hook-up their own tank to do the PDI, and I suspect they do. RVW does not do it, as they deliver well over 50% of what they sell, and their drivers do not want any liability (however remotely small it is) of having full propane tanks.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #10

A PDI agent. Holy cow what a great idea.

You know if you could get a group of well known and feared folks who know rv's inside and out, the days of rushing people through PDI's would be over.
cgxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgxterra View Post
A PDI agent. Holy cow what a great idea.

You know if you could get a group of well known and feared folks who know rv's inside and out, the days of rushing people through PDI's would be over.
It is a good idea

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hey neighbor Cover Dog --
We're expecting our first Hemisphere in a few short weeks. I downloaded the pdi checklist off the forum library emailed to my dealer in Medina stating that our expectation is that all systems will be up and running on both elect and LP prior to signing off on acceptance of the unit. They said "of course, we don't do it any other way". I think the big thing is (like us) new RV owners don't know what they don't know and the LP gas in an RV is a big mystery. See if you can get your salesman to get the tanks filled and have them ready for you. Good Luck!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Add to it that the cost of propane in Ohio has quadruppled in the last month, the dealer may be trying to save some $$$
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #14

I agree contact the dealer and ask them if they will be filling the propane tanks so you can run all the LP appliances.

You should make a list for any questions you have and have them demonstate the operation as many times as you need. (ie) Fridge start up when on LP or shore power, starting the furnace, oven, cooktop and Air conditioner. How to fill the fresh water tank, how to dump the black and gray holding tanks. What chemicals do you use and how much. If you have on generator operation. Slides how they work, How to fill and use your LP tanks. Is it safe to walk on the roof? How do you get onto the roof? Awning operation electric or manual, When should you take it down do to weather, how does it lock so it does not open when driving down the road. How do you winterize your trailer.

You will be overwhelmed with information and forget alot of the stuff they tell s you. You should be given a ownermanual which will have some information.

It would be a good Idea to find someplace near where you are picking up the trailer and camp in it for a day or two. If you have problems you will be close to the dealer for assistance. Don't be afraid to ask other RVER's questons when at a park. We were all first timers once..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Videotape your dpi so you can refer back to it later on. If you have kids, leave them home or bring entertainment (ie portable DVD, iPad whAtever) so you are not distracted. If it opens, closes, turns on or off you want it demonstrated and you return the demo. Check all caulking, look for leaks, things that need repairs, even get up on the roof and check it out. Make them show you where the hot water heater and water pump are (open cabinet not just point to it). Have them show you the winterization and dewinterization process too. Good luck and enjoy.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #16

They should fill your tanks so you could test everything and learn about any switch over valves and that all propane app. work you will need it just to check the heater out. I have never heard of a dealer not giving you full tanks of propane. They supply the bottles and the batteries not FR.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #17

RVW is a different kind of rv dealer. They deliver the RV to your front door. Due to liability issues of professional transporters (and them having to worry about tunnel and bridge restrictions) RVW does not fill the tanks. However, they do a full PDI at their site before the unit ships, so I am certain they test the propane systems with their own tanks. That said, mine is being delivered today, so I will know for sure in a few hours.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

campingwilliamsons, I looked into buying from them a few years ago so I can't recall the details to some questions I asked at the time, but maybe you know the answers.

When they deliver your trailer to you (as opposed to picking up at their facility), does the RVW driver work for them or is he a contract driver? Does the driver do the walk through with you or are you on your own?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #19

thanks to all for the good info. we are traveling 2500 miles to pick ours up the first of April. will plan on a extra day or two in Ohio.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdi