Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #121

Dang after that I am going back to not wearing gloves..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #122

The best part of these threads is the number of folks who are proud of getting human and animal excrement on their hands AND actually believe it's good for you!
BigRockr is offline   Reply
Old 09-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OburgOrange View Post
Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who install and uninstall the sewer hose with their bare hands. Ugh... I use disposable medical gloves at all times, then wash my hands from the elbows down with a disinfectant soap after I’m done.
I have never seen anyone handling their sewer hose without gloves. I do see lots of people come out of bathroom stalls and not wash their hands
I saw you FEDEX guy!
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 03:54 AM   #124

Pot Luck

I refuse to eat at pot luck dinners.

Bruce
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #125

Two words: adaptive immunity. Seriously though, I wear a pair of gloves when dumping my tanks. No sandals though!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I have never seen anyone handling their sewer hose without gloves. I do see lots of people come out of bathroom stalls and not wash their hands
I saw you FEDEX guy!
That's cause momma taught us...NOT to pee on our hands.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdrive55 View Post
Ever go to a restaurant and get nice cold sweet T with lemon? Think they washed that lemon off before dunking it in your drink?

Or handle condiments on the restaurant table like salt, pepper, catsup, hot sauce with your bare hands after hundreds of folks have handled them. No telling what kind of junk your passing along to yourself!
Roberte52 is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjeeptj View Post
I was the Wastewater ( term for politically sensitive) Director of a community for a period of time before I retired. We ran 1 million gallons a day. I am also old enough (66) that I did all the things already posted (dirt, animals, spreading cow manure, bole riding with no helmet, mother’s car without seatbelts (but her strong right arm), plowing/harrowing the family garden moments after my uncle came thru with his spreader and put a (in his words) “load of s... on the garden”, also had to wash the dog after she rolled in the goo (never could break her of that habit). My employer required Hep shots and I still have the medical card in my wallet.
My group maintained (and at times I had to get directly involved) all the wastewater lines, grinder pumps, process equipment, test gear, etc. It is amazing how you fix a broken 20” pipe when the residents do not see the need to stop flushing. So many people figure once the toilet is flushed, its all gone. Not true.
A few points of interest: about a month before I started work there, one of the guys swam and dove in a lift station to get the broken pump out, I got sprayed (as in TitanMike’s picture) head to toe a few times when a temporary pump hose failed, I enjoyed taking “new” Board of Director electees to the plant where the slurry entered into the open trough for flow rate measurement (and sizing them up), natural skunk and sewer smell does not bother me. I also no longer like the appearance of vegetable soup for some reason. I do recognize the odor of Hydrogen Sulfide.
I too like to keep the liquid in the hose. Oh, and I worked at Nuclear Power Generation plants, too. Dressing out to keep contamination off my skin was a job requirement. One job we had to remove insulation (old enough to be asbestos) from the reactor head. The asbestos workers had never been to a nuke plant before. They were as petrified of the radiation and the nuke workers were of the asbestos.
Life is full of preferences and learning opportunities. Aging is tough, but, in my opinion, better than the alternative. Reminisce switch now “Off”.

Haha I was also a 50,000 gallon package plant operator/ repairman/inspector/ tester and have done pretty much as you have done. I also was the drinking water operator/ tester/ repair, CPO pool technician and everything else that had water in it. All at same time period Lol. So no, I don’t wear gloves when I drain tanks, don’t need too. Just wash hands after it’s all finished. Lol. Not a big deal
dodgemark is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
Just wash hands after it’s all finished. Lol. Not a big deal
See, here's the thing. I pet the cat and cook dinner, have used the 5 second rule more often than I probably should, drank from garden hoses, stepped in cow plop, I have no problems letting people I know taste my drink or take a bite of my food, changed diapers...etc., etc. all without gloves.

So I'm FAR from being a germaphobe. I know I'm a total newbie - having only dumped twice - but the one thing I DO know is neither of the dumps I used had a place to wash your hands!

Sure you could use your own soap and use the flush hose if they have one or potable water hose (which you probably shouldn't for hand washing)...but it's not hot water. So far no "matter" has gotten on my hands, but it could happen and then, HOT water and soap would be a must. I could use hand sanitizer after washing off any "matter" that may have accidently gotten on there of course. I've used enough public porta johns to know all about that - but hand sanitizer doesn't "wash".

And for everyone going on about being squeamish about your own waste and using the bathroom and getting "matter" on your hands - Sure...everyone has. But I certainly hope you use HOT water and soap to wash them afterwards like your mothers presumably taught you to!

It's just so much easier to make sure nothing gets on there in the first place, by wearing a pair of gloves.

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #130
Site Team

I'm on a seasonal lot and have to use a portable tote to dump my tanks every week. But I'm lucky that the dump station is literally right across the street from my trailer.

So when I'm all done and after I've put everything away, I can use my outdoor shower with a little bit of soap and wash up with hot water.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #131
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm on a seasonal lot and have to use a portable tote to dump my tanks every week. But I'm lucky that the dump station is literally right across the street from my trailer.

So when I'm all done and after I've put everything away, I can use my outdoor shower with a little bit of soap and wash up with hot water.
Yep... the same pass-through bay door that hides my tank dump handles also hides an outdoor shower faucet the valves of which allow the use of hot and cold water. No problem here.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #132
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
The best part of these threads is the number of folks who are proud of getting human and animal excrement on their hands
I think "proud" is a bit too far reaching. Maybe "indifferent" would be a better term. Like I said, if you do it right, there is no poo on the OUTSIDE of the hose/fittings.

To some of us, gloves during dumping is like wearing a lead vest to microwave your soup. Bit of an overkill. But again, this is a free country. Feel free to use whatever precautions you feel are required.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
My pet peeve is finding the whole concrete dump area wet. I wonder what kind of mess is under my feet. I assume the worst spill happened but I see it very frequently.
Most of the parks we visit have a sign asking to please flush slab after dumping.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yep... the same pass-through bay door that hides my tank dump handles also hides an outdoor shower faucet the valves of which allow the use of hot and cold water. No problem here.
Like I said, I'm new and we've never stayed anywhere but a site without sewer hookups, so we're doing the central dump station on the way out of the park. At that point, our pump is off, our fresh water is usually empty if we didn't have a hook-up, and the water heater has been off quite a while.

So you see - that's where the issue occurs.

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
Like I said, I'm new and we've never stayed anywhere but a site without sewer hookups, so we're doing the central dump station on the way out of the park. At that point, our pump is off, our fresh water is usually empty if we didn't have a hook-up, and the water heater has been off quite a while.

So you see - that's where the issue occurs.
What I see is that your individual issue is different than many of ours. You can leave your water heater on longer... you can leave a little water in the fresh water tank... you can leave your water pump on. You can solve your own issues. Your issues are not necessarily generalized across the board. Use your gloves or something then.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
That's cause momma taught us...NOT to pee on our hands.
HE came out of a STALL. We are talking about the FEDEX guy dropping a number 2 my friend
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by OburgOrange View Post
Seems as though I touched a nerve. Wonder why? Lol! Y’all just keep on keeping on
I am surprised you haven't noticed it yet, but when you post something on here and people disagree with you, everyone jumps on the band wagon and chimes in. It's like jr high in this fourm.
happyttowner is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #138

Okay... so my nerve was never touched...I don't care how you handle your stinky slinky I practice camper beware at all times assuming the worst good sanitation should be done at all times
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #139
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyttowner View Post
I am surprised you haven't noticed it yet, but when you post something on here and people disagree with you, everyone jumps on the band wagon and chimes in. It's like jr high in this fourm.
We have over 100,000 members here. Everyone has their own opinion and many like to share theirs. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't. It is what it is.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I refuse to eat at pot luck dinners.

Bruce

I’m with you on that. I have one word....cats.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Closed Thread