Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Pet Sitting Services for Full-Time RV'ers

My husband and I are fifty something retirees that are full-timing from Oct to May. We have owned dogs and cats most of our life. This past summer we lost our beloved 16 yr old cat, Jenny. We miss having a pet but are resisting adopting a new one because of the responsibility. We love to jump on a cruise ship a few times during our travels which would require boarding a pet with an unknown kennel, vet, or pet service.

So we have an idea! If you are a pet owner and full-time would you be interested if this service was available at your RV park by another RV-"senior" couple to take care of your pet (s) for a "day", weekend, etc. We would not take a pet into our RV but would visit your RV and feed/water/walk/provide companionship/administer meds for your pet. We would charge a very reasonable daily charge.

Just want input from anyone who travels with their pet (s) and have wished this type of service was available within the RV park. Any income derived from this type of venture is at the bottom of our list as far as benefit; it would help fill the void we have, without the 24/7, 365 day a year responsibility, the fulfillment of a purpose and service to pet owners who adore their "babies." We stay generally a month at each RV park and would have some sort of advertisement on our tow vehicle and would offer our services by word of mouth.

Are we crazy or is this a worthwhile idea??
2012 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Ford Expedition /Hensley Arrow Hitch
2011 Camping Days: 93 (thru 12/31)
debron911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It would be great if each campground offered this service for a nominal fee. That would be a big PR option.

Ask the campground if you can put a notice on their bulletin while you are there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for input and I had thought of that too. What would you expect to pay to have your dog walked, etc for a day? This would give you the opportunity to take a day trip without time constraints to return to your RV..
2012 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Ford Expedition /Hensley Arrow Hitch
2011 Camping Days: 93 (thru 12/31)
debron911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
camping

I would be interested- even if you just came by to check to make sure the A/C was on.
sometimes we like to visit local attractions and if it is to hot we won't go because should there be a power outage the camper would get too hot for the dogs.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by debron911 View Post
Thanks for input and I had thought of that too. What would you expect to pay to have your dog walked, etc for a day? This would give you the opportunity to take a day trip without time constraints to return to your RV..
The last time I paid a pet sitter, it was $21 a day. (for 5 cats) Now my sister looks after my kitties while we're gone. They don't travel with us, as we're not full-timers yet. We've stopped adopting so that we're pet free by the time we retire. But I can see a need for this service.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Can you believe there is actually an organization for what you do? A friend of my DW was looking into it recently. Maybe not specific to the RV world, but still, this might help you with some of your questions...
Professional United Pet Sitters

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote