Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Is Ellsworth unique in this regard? I'm a vet, but would never think that a military base might offer camping...

There is a military campground apps, the one I use is Ultimate Military Campgrounds. There is a lot of campgrounds just for the military. To get in most of the time you have to be active or retired military. If you are 100% disabled or DOD you can get in or have a friend that travels with you with a ID card
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Is Ellsworth unique in this regard? I'm a vet, but would never think that a military base might offer camping...
Check this site out!
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us
We just spent 3 weeks at 8 different campgrounds during our recent trip to the Grand Canyon!
Yes,, I'm both retired AF and 100% disabled vet. DoD personnel are also eligible.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

THANK YOU for your service!
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #24

fantasy tours runs a trip for rv's starting in Colorado, thru badlands , mount rushmore, badlands custer st. park yellowstone ending in jacksonhole. 33 days. for info fantasy tours .com
polishapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #25

Unless you like motorcycles, DO NOT be in the Hills in early August because the Sturgis rally dominates all camps and roads, otherwise, definitely do the Hills for many kinds of sites and adventures. I would camp in the Badlands NP or White River KOA (yes, must see Wall Drug) for maybe 2 nights, then go to Custer (Game Lodge camp, walk to new visitor's center with great movie). Make reservations early! If you can't get into Custer, go to Angustora Reservoir St. Rec Area (Cheyenne campground for quiet- 2 or 3 sites overlook the reservoir), the other three camps at Angustora are okay but have beaches that are crowded and noisey). SD parks give you lots of space compared to commercial ones, ask hosts about rattlesnakes. Those two camps are good bases for the southern Hills (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave NP, Custer Wildlife Loop drive for buffalo, Mt goats, prairie dogs, mammoth digs, swim at Hot Springs, lots of scenery, The Badger Hole (don't take an RV or TT on some of these roads, tunnels, etc!!), From thee it is about 1.5 - 2 hr hr drive to the northern Hills (Spearfish, Deadwood, Lead gold mine, Sundance, etc); haven't camped in the northern hills but visited there many times. There is an okay KOA at the base of Devils Tower on your way to jellystone. Yes, I'm from SD.
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote