Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2017, 12:36 AM   #1

Planning trip

1st time user seeking planning adivce. I want to visit the Grand Caynon this year, I live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I want to take my time getting there , we have a fifth wheel. Is it best to find camp sites to stay overnight or just pull over at Walmart
charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #2

Depending on what kind of budget you have to make this trip. You may find it more cost effective to stay a few nights at a Walmart and a few nights at a KOA. If it was us making that type of trip I would probably do maybe 2 nights in a parking lot or truck stop then a campground. Stopping at a campground every few days will allow you to drain your tanks and refill on water.

Just my $.02. Safe travels.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles55 View Post
1st time user seeking planning adivce. I want to visit the Grand Caynon this year, I live on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I want to take my time getting there , we have a fifth wheel. Is it best to find camp sites to stay overnight or just pull over at Walmart

For me, it comes down to when I want to get off of the road. Before dinner, I’ll grab a campsite if I can. After dinner or late (we’ve stopped as late as 1am), it’s Walmart.

If you get a Harvest Hosts membership, stopping earlier can yield some cool places to stay. We’ve stayed at 2 wineries and a farm so far.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

You could also join Boondockers Welcome to find some safe places to stay at.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

I don’t drive at night, we always find a campground to spend the night in. We use rvparksandcampgrounds apps
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Team

The key phrase here is "I want to take my time getting there" WalMart lots are not bad if you pull in late evening and leave in the morning. If you expect to spend any time there you might want to look at campgrounds. WalMart discourages camping ( stuff out ) on their lots.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Site Team

You definately want to check out RV Trip Wizard:
https://www.rvtripwizard.com

You can read reviews on Facebook or Google.

It's an excellent tool for a trip like you are planning.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles55 View Post
Often, WALMART does not take a position on RV's staying overnight, but many municipalities are passing Ordinances prohibiting a RON (Remain Over Night), in such parking lots. Unless you check local laws you could be awoken by a Police Officer with an order to vacate. Also, keep in mind, some WALMART's are not in the best parts of a given town.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and advice
charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote