Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #1

plastic taste from faucets

hello everyone,i have a 2019 25 pack 12 and we have a strong plastic taste from our kitchen sink and our shower head but don't notice it from our bathroom sink.we are noticing this while on city water.i tried a different hose,removed the water filter from the hose and still no difference.i haven't tried it on freshwater so i don't know if it's the same or not.what could be causing this? is there a way to clean the citywater port? i cleaned my freshwater tank after winterizing with bleach.thanks for any help
ultrascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Several factors may be going on here. Here are some thoughts.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrascott View Post
.i haven't tried it on freshwater so i don't know if it's the same or not.what could be causing this? is there a way to clean the citywater port? i cleaned my freshwater tank after winterizing with bleach.thanks for any help
You might want to try it using the freshwater tank to see if you've got the same problem. It's probably in the pipes, not the citywater port, but you won't know til you try it.
Our friends had a terrible time getting rid of the 'antifreeze' taste after dewinterizing. They'd done it a couple of years with no problem, but for some reason, last year they got the aftertaste. Flushing multiple times was the solution.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #4

so today i put about 1/3 tank of water in my freshwater tank along with 2 cups bleach,i also added 1 cup bleach to my hose and hooked it up to my citywater connection and turned on faucets until i smelled bleach, i then unhooked my citywater,turned on pump and ran faucets from freshwater for a bit.i'm gonna let it sit for a couple days then drain it all several times and see what happens.
ultrascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Brake is on left

Be cautious of how much bleach you put through. The fixture o rings and seals are not designed for that much chlorine. Just like home bath fixtures.
Edit- I should say not meant for excessive levels for extended periods.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

I have tried Dometic fresh water tank cleaner as well as baking soda after a bleach treatment and always have a bad taste from the faucets. We just carry a 7 gallon jug of water for drinking.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrascott View Post
so today i put about 1/3 tank of water in my freshwater tank along with 2 cups bleach,i also added 1 cup bleach to my hose and hooked it up to my citywater connection and turned on faucets until i smelled bleach, i then unhooked my citywater,turned on pump and ran faucets from freshwater for a bit.i'm gonna let it sit for a couple days then drain it all several times and see what happens.
1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of water is plenty to sanitize your water system. Do not use concentrated, color safe, jelled, or scented bleach.

Since you have already started, finish filling your fresh water tank with water. Turn on your water pump and run water through each faucet for about 2 minutes. It will not hurt to fill your water heater as long as you don't fire it up. Let the bleach water sit for 2 to 4 hours. Drain, then flush with clean fresh water. Don't forget your outdoor shower and toilet.

Most people drink bottled water because minerals naturally in the water can leave an odd odor or taste in different areas of the country.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Our friends had a terrible time getting rid of the 'antifreeze' taste after dewinterizing. They'd done it a couple of years with no problem, but for some reason, last year they got the aftertaste. Flushing multiple times was the solution.
Your friends might have turned the water heater bypass back to 'normal' before flushing the antifreeze from their system. If so, the antifreeze in the rest of their rig will then be flowing through the water heater as it drains. 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of antifreeze will sit at the bottom of the water heater until flushed with the wand. This will give you the antifreeze taste (until flushed).

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
Your friends might have turned the water heater bypass back to 'normal' before flushing the antifreeze from their system. If so, the antifreeze in the rest of their rig will then be flowing through the water heater as it drains. 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of antifreeze will sit at the bottom of the water heater until flushed with the wand. This will give you the antifreeze taste (until flushed).

-Rich
Something else to add, any antifreeze in your fresh water tank will take a whole lot of water to flush out.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #10

Fresh water tanks (dark and warm) are breeding grounds for bacteria regardless of cleansing them occasionally with bleach (good idea before winterizing, but almost useless after the initial purging to remove the bleach). In addition, most charcoal filters like the ones on the end of the hose or built into the camper don't filter bacteria or chemicals. That little bit of charcoal material just isn't that powerful. They're primarily for particulate matter. Given all this, like so many others, we don't drink the stuff. We carry two 2 & 1/2 gallon plastic tanks for drinking and cooking. We can refill them at many Walmarts and some Krogers, which have purified water dispensers, for about 39 cents per gallon. (May be shut down temporarily during COVID-19 threat.)

Tags
faucet