Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

Please keep your dog leashed

Just wanted to state how important it is to keep your dog leased. We always leash our dog and even tether him to a tree when we are setting up so we don’t have to worry about him. We were camping a short time ago with friends, and their grandchildren came down to have supper with us, along with their new puppy. As the young lady got out of the car, she was holding the puppy and I said that she should leash her as it’s the park’s rule. Being the usual know-it-all kid, she replied that she was going to hold her and that she didn’t need to leash her. I told her that I would provide a rope so her baby could move around, but she wouldn’t hear of it. Well, you can guess at the outcome. Eventually, puppy jumped down as she was tired of being held, ran straight out into the road, and got hit by a car. There are leash laws for a reason, to protect you, others, and your puppy. I’m just so sorry that this young lady had to learn the hard way.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

Sad that some have to learn the hard way.

Whenever ours are outside they are always on a leash/tether for their protection.
Only place they get to "roam the outdoors" is at home and that's is 5 acres of fenced puppy heaven!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

I don't disagree with what you said, with that said, some dogs do a better job of behaving then people.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #4

X2 to all.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

I hope the pup was not killed. That would be very sad, but some kids have to learn the hard way. The Grandparents should of stepped in as well and make her leash the pup. We have been empty nesters since 1995 and my fur babies are just that. My kids. I do everything possible to keep them safe.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I fully agree with pet restraints. My wife was bitten by an unleashed dog back in 2014,,,,,Emergency room at 10PM and $1800 later and 5 stitches......I'm very much in favor of leashing,,,,,AND picking up the poop,,,,,,and NOT leaving the dog outside leashed up while everybody leaves,,,,,and the dog barking to the point of laryngitis,,,,,,or the dog left alone in the rv all day and barking to the point of laryngitis.....that's my major pet peave,,,,,as this paragraph shows. I've confronted numerous pet owners over the years of us being park and camp hosts. No excuse for any of it. But, regardless,,,,I love dogs.....I just have trouble liking the owners.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

I completely agree. Our two little Havanese furbabies are the world to us and never go without a leash but I want to caution people about getting a proper leash! Please read this:

Dr. Becker: 10 Reasons Not to Use a Retractable Leash#!
limblips is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #8

Please keep your dog leased

Dogs need to be on a lead. I am so tired of dog owners saying their dog is "different" or "well-trained". That he/she is well behaved. Dogs can be find 95% of the time or 99% of the time but all it takes is another dog, or a squirrel, or something that startles them like a loud noise to make them chase something/someone or get in a defensive posture. This can lead them, another animal or a person to be hurt.

Yes, humans are the same (not always perfect) but there are laws/rules about dogs being on leads for a good reason- there are not laws or rules about humans being on a lead. We might think that some people should be on a lead but that's a discussion for another time.
Trikeman50 is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #9

Even Bella the camping kitty is always leashed when she's outside...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

Sad sad lesson learned. I've just been reading the alarming number of pets lost because "they bolted from fear of fireworks" despite all of the warnings to use caution. So many say they love their pets but treat them so carelessly. Tragic all around.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

Mine knows the rules... he can't leave the camper without being hooked up. He will actually stand in the camper door and wait for me to snap the long lead on him so he can go out side. We use both 6' and retractable walking leads depending on the situation.

Unfortunately there is a percentage of the population that thinks that they know better or that rules are for every one else. One major reason we don't camp on holiday weekends at the local state parks.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikeman50 View Post
Dogs need to be on a lead. I am so tired of dog owners saying their dog is "different" or "well-trained". That he/she is well behaved. Dogs can be find 95% of the time or 99% of the time but all it takes is another dog, or a squirrel, or something that startles them like a loud noise to make them chase something/someone or get in a defensive posture. This can lead them, another animal or a person to be hurt.

Yes, humans are the same (not always perfect) but there are laws/rules about dogs being on leads for a good reason- there are not laws or rules about humans being on a lead. We might think that some people should be on a lead but that's a discussion for another time.
X 2 on this. I ran into this over the 4th. Guy next to me dog out no lease. At first I did not bring it up but then he kind of stepped out of bounds when the next morning I was out and he said that he unplugged my small pole light that has our plack with name on it cause the light bothered him at night. I said oh as long as we are on a topic of an issues how about putting your dog on a lease as park rules required. Long story shot I turned lite off but dog still ran loose. Seems like at lot of folks no longer think they need to abide by rules Later RD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Yea there are many rules that some people think don't apply to them for sure. I have no problem at all telling someone to get their pup on a leash or slow down...but that is a whole different thread!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
DDC

Some people should have a stamp on their forehead "except me", I watched one take off into the I75 at a Tennessee rest stop, it did not end well for the frightened dog.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Sad that the puppy was hit. There are rules for everything under the sun. That person with the pup knew the rules or should have. you stuck your nose in where it did not belong. If the dog craps in your yard or where you need to be or walk or is a threat to you, it is fine to say something. If you are the 'campground host' it is fine to say something. other wise.....

mind your own business, after the first 'suggestion'. Most people can not be saved from themselves and must learn life's lessons the hard way.

imo.
I don't think the OP did anything wrong at all. She was obviously trying to prevent a tragic accident before it happened. And she mentioned it was her friends' family, not complete strangers.

They didn't heed her advice but it doesn't mean she shouldn't have said anything. If the same thing happened to me I would've felt worse had a not said anything.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Unfortunately there is a percentage of the population that thinks that they know better or that rules are for every one else. One major reason we don't camp on holiday weekends at the local state parks.
Like the folks next to us last weekend, I took Timmy out on his leash and the dog from the next campsite charges over to ours barking at Timmy as I pick him up quickly. "Oh don't worry he's a nice dog." Yeah I can totally tell by the charging and barking.
8 Nights Camping in 2015
9 Nights Camping in 2016
daveclark is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #17

The parents are responsible for the death of the puppy. Had that been taught the correct way to handle and care for a pet the puppy would still be alive. The child had no reason to have puppy in the first place. That is why we would not sell puppies to families with young children.
almasibasenji is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 on this. I ran into this over the 4th. Guy next to me dog out no lease. At first I did not bring it up but then he kind of stepped out of bounds when the next morning I was out and he said that he unplugged my small pole light that has our plack with name on it cause the light bothered him at night. I said oh as long as we are on a topic of an issues how about putting your dog on a lease as park rules required. Long story shot I turned lite off but dog still ran loose. Seems like at lot of folks no longer think they need to abide by rules Later RD
I assume the post light was left on after you retired inside; if so, why?
'95 Coleman popup - sold it after serving us well

SERENITY NOW!
SkyWatcher is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatcher View Post
I assume the post light was left on after you retired inside; if so, why?
Yes it was due to dw takes dog out very late at night and her vision is not good. However I abide by his wish but he refused mine all I'm saying. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
Even Bella the camping kitty is always leashed when she's outside...

Oh my...never saw a cat on a leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply
Closed Thread