Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #21

Socket replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What was the remedy?
Did you have campground maintenance replace the outlet or possibly use the 50a outlet? (if equipped)

Yes, I contacted the office and maintenance appeared quickly.
He replaced the breaker as well as the socket.
Problem solved and electrical crisis averted.
That was our first encounter with a damaged socket and probably won't be the last. Just be careful and do a quick visual of the socket and breakers. Check the power at the pedestal your surge suppressor or a simple circuit tester.
The socket pictured was at another campground several years later.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Electri...4?athbdg=L1600

Of course the plug photo turned out sideways...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit tester.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	276104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171110_203601.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	276105  

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
Yes, I contacted the office and maintenance appeared quickly.
He replaced the breaker as well as the socket.
Problem solved and electrical crisis averted.
That was our first encounter with a damaged socket and probably won't be the last. Just be careful and do a quick visual of the socket and breakers. Check the power at the pedestal your surge suppressor or a simple circuit tester.
The socket pictured was at another campground several years later.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Electri...4?athbdg=L1600

Of course the plug photo turned out sideways...
Instead of testing the 20/15 amp outlet, you should be testing the actual RV receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/funomo-Analyz...dp/B099YM8G17/

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	276115
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #23

I use my 20 amp to 30 amp adapter.
I have to get one of those!
Thanks NavyLCDR

MMC(SW)(RET)

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #24

A surge protector usually has the same LEDs to display wiring status and they're about the same cost as the simple LED "meters." So rather than just verifying the power is good these remain in the outlet and provide some surge protection at the same time.

50a and 30a available from dozens of PRC sources on Amazon in your choice of colors. Heck, I may get one despite my feeling that surge protection is as necessary as asteroid protection -- yeah, it could happen. But for $20 or $30 why not?

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #25

I also ran a 30a outlet out to the side of the garage to plug in. I upsized the wire so if i ever need a 50 i can just swap out the breaker and the receptacle. I use the camper as a nice hiding place from the kids and need a/c, tv, fridge and microwave. Also comes in handy for cleaning in conditioned space after trips.
jcrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #26
3boxerss

We used an extension cord for years until we had a 30 amp installed. Our newest camper would trip the breaker if you turned on the air. We usually just leave the fridge an the air on. We frequently sleep out there at nite. Just make sure you get a heavy duty extension cord.

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:22 AM   #27

We're getting a bit complicated.
The OP wanted to know is it ok to plug in at home using an extension cord and the pig tail just overnight to keep the batteries charged?
The answer is 'yes' depending on what he mean by 'pigtail.'
Old 07-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #28

It is OK as long the appliance is not on to keep the battery charge. I don't know what your home are set up. What I have set at my home next to my garage that was installed by my son. A 30-amp 120 box on the outside wall and wired to the in-house circuit 20-amp breaker by itself. I can run everything just like at the campground.
Just wish I have a sewer hook-up.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We're getting a bit complicated.
The OP wanted to know is it ok to plug in at home using an extension cord and the pig tail just overnight to keep the batteries charged?
The answer is 'yes' depending on what he mean by 'pigtail.'
+1, ignore all the other complicated, paranoid OMG don't do it BS. As you've stated all you will be doing is charging batteries; it's completely fine and safe.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevermont View Post
It is OK as long the appliance is not on to keep the battery charge. I don't know what your home are set up. What I have set at my home next to my garage that was installed by my son. A 30-amp 120 box on the outside wall and wired to the in-house circuit 20-amp breaker by itself. I can run everything just like at the campground.
Just wish I have a sewer hook-up.
1st, one of the major reasons for plugging in is to keep the batteries charged. If by "appliance to keep the battery charged" you mean the converter, you leave it turned on. That is the absolute last resort item to turn off if you need extra power to start an A/C unit or microwave.

2nd, it violates all kinds of electrical codes to wire a 30 amp RV receptacle into a 20 or 15 amp circuit.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #31

Hi Navy LCDR, I did make a mistake about the 20amp breaker. I meant to say that I have a 30 breaker in my house panel.
Stevevermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #32

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
I use my 20 amp to 30 amp adapter.
I have to get one of those!
Thanks NavyLCDR

MMC(SW)(RET)
The one NavyLCDR posted is for 50 amp testing. This is a similar one for testing 30 amp outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/WELLUCK-Pedes...946VGK9L&psc=1

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccycle2003 View Post
is it ok to plug in at home using an extension cord and the pig tail just overnight to keep the batteries charged?
We plug in all the time at home. Actually upgrading our home plug to 50 amp so that we can run both AC units if needed. We’ve always plugged in once we hit the driveway and used a good extension cord without issues. 30 years.
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #34

Mine is always plugged in, and in the winter months in canada i plug in electric mouse noise plugs. Works well for me. I do monitor the battery to ensure it doesn't heat up thats all…
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
2nd, it violates all kinds of electrical codes to wire a 30 amp RV receptacle into a 20 or 15 amp circuit.
That's more a nuisance than a code violation as the 15 or 20 amp breaker will trip. While I'm not a licensed electrician, I recall learning that there isn't a code for under-sizing your breakers.

It's when you do the reverse and put a 30 amp RV receptacle on a 50 amp Circuit Breaker(like into half of an electric clothes dryer circuit) that you're going to start burning things down. That's 2014 NEC 210.19(A)(1): General. Branch-circuit conductors shall have an ampacity not less than the maximum load to be served.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #36

It's OK regardless of what outlet and electrical cord is used or for how long. Your RV or camper. Your power. The sky is not falling.

-- Chuck
Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #37

RV Power

I installed a dedicated 120V 30A service on the outside next to the garage door for our TT. And where we keep the TT, when not preparing for a trip, I installed a 120V 30A service at my shop and keep the TT plugged in all of the time.

The Air Conditioner is set for 85 degrees and the converter automatically takes care of the needs of the battery. I do check things on a weekly basis. Thus when we are ready to travel, I move the TT to the house, turn on the refrigerator, and check the other systems for proper operation.

Both the house and the shop have "whole house" surge protectors which are permanent installations. These have indicator lights, thus we know if they are in working order. Many surge protectors are "one-shot" devices and unless there is some indication on the device, one does not know if they are working or not.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #38

Quote:
is it ok to plug in at home using an extension cord and the pig tail just overnight to keep the batteries charged?
Yes. If you have a good outdoor extension cord plug into a 120/- 30amp adaptor, that will be fine. That’s how I cool my frig for a couple of days before I leave on my summer trips. Just don’t try to use the AC.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #39

There must be something wrong with my trailer or garage wiring. I'm plugged into a 20 amp GFCI protected outlet in my garage. 30 amp to 15 amp doggone adapter plugged into garage outlet and 30 amp shore power cord plugged into the doggone.

I just camped for days in the trailer because my wife was COVID positive. Fridge was on AC (absorption type), water heater on electric, and A/C running, converter on. I had zero issues. No tripping breakers, no hot electrical connections.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #40

Quote:
I keep the RV plugged in all the time while I'm home. It's only a 15 amp connection, because I don't have a 20 amp plug convenient to the RV. It serves to keep the fridge cold and keep the batteries nicely charged. If I try to run the AC, the breaker in the house trips, so I don't do that.

No question asked out of a genuine desire to know the answer can ever be a dumb question.
poihths is offline   Reply With Quote