Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

Policies for Visitors of Seasonals

Can anyone share any details regarding what they have found to be an effective and fair private campground policy for dealing with the visitors of the Seasonals ??
Old 07-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #2

Every place will have different rules. Some will charge extra for a visitor car pass ($10 per day, where we go), whether going too a seasonal site or not.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Every place will have different rules. Some will charge extra for a visitor car pass ($10 per day), where we go, whether going too a seasonal site or not.
Thanks, never heard pay by the "car" before. Kinda like the old Drive-In Theater thing (Kids hiding in the trunk)! ;-0
Old 07-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
Thanks, never heard pay by the "car" before. Kinda like the old Drive-In Theater thing (Kids hiding in the trunk)! ;-0
It is one of the largest privately owned campgrounds on the east coast that is what is easiest for them. 4th of July week they claim to have as many as 40000 people in the campground. 850 regular campsites and 2500 to 3500 permanent / seasonal sites.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #5

I saw where one campground had an interesting rule: You get 48 free visitors per year, but you should monitor this yourself, and you can "BUY-Up" an extra 12 visitors for $25, or another 48 visitors for $50 - IF NEEDED ?!?

BUT, IF you abuse this policy, U R subject to Immediate Removal from the Campground. Seems kinda like don't 'take a chance' - or U may be OUT ? WHAT TO DO ???
Old 07-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
It is one of the largest privately owned campgrounds on the east coast that is what is easiest for them. 4th of July week they claim to have as many as 40000 people in the campground. 850 regular campsites and 2500 to 3500 permanent / seasonal sites.

That is pretty AMAZING !!!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:57 PM   #7

We have a destination trailer that we leave there in storage. They pull it to a regular campsite as part of the storage fee. Their storage lots are a site to see too about 2500 camper stored there too. It is too expensive for us to have a seasonal site there.

I think it is 5 full time drivers and trucks just pulling campers to and from storage.

This is near Myrtle Beach it is Oean Lakes Family Campground. There can be over 400 employees in the summer months. It is a site to see. 2 miles of ocean front and on 300 acres.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 07-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Our campground charges $5 per car for a day pass, must leave by 11pm, $10 unlimited nights if they are going to stay over nite in our camper.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Our campground charges $5 per car for a day pass, must leave by 11pm, $10 unlimited nights if they are going to stay over nite in our camper.
X2... this is what most campgrounds in our area (PA) charge.
And yes, I've seen it enforced!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

So, again "by car" seems to makes sense! To be sure, the $10 is a by "car" fee and those visitors could stay WITH YOU for a whole week for the $10, right ?
Old 07-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #11

I know of two close to me. One is $8/day for visitors (car) the other....co-worker just got in this spring. "NO VISITORS" until summer 2021 due to Covid. Don't really understand the reasoning, but hey, it's their rules.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote:
This is near Myrtle Beach it is Oean Lakes Family Campground. There can be over 400 employees in the summer months. It is a site to see. 2 miles of ocean front and on 300 acres.
As I was reading this post I couldn’t help but wonder if you were talking about Ocean Lakes. We’ve never been in the summer. Always in March to visit our snowbird family who stay in a rental house. We pay a daily rate for our car.
JWood422 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
So, again "by car" seems to makes sense! To be sure, the $10 is a by "car" fee and those visitors could stay WITH YOU for a whole week for the $10, right ?
That's the way it works for us. BTW, under 6yo & over 65 is free.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
Site Team

We have a lake that is open to the public and IIRC, it's $10 per person.

I think it's the same price for guests of seasonal campers but we can talk to the CG manager and if they are only coming in for a few hours and aren't going to the lake he'll usually waive the fee. Which makes sense since they really aren't costing the CG any money by being there. Our seasonal fees should cover them.

I grew up in a CG in Wisconsin where guests were free. They've been bought and sold a few times since then so I don't know how much that's changed.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #15

At my seasonal campground, we are given about twenty to thirty visitor passes every year. Otherwise, each visitor pays $10.00 per person per day.

However, they do make an exception for our Amish friends when they visit. I suppose it is because when they come riding through the campground in their carriages and buggies to our site it creates a spectacle and is a “special treat” for all of the other campers who run out to take pictures and get the feel for being in “Amish Country”. I can think of no other reason management doesn’t make us pay for them when they visit.

Bruce
Old 07-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That's the way it works for us. BTW, under 6yo & over 65 is free.
If it is BY CAR, why would it matter what the age is of anyone in the car ??
Old 07-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
At my seasonal campground, we are given about twenty to thirty visitor passes every year. Otherwise, each visitor pays $10.00 per person per day.

However, they do make an exception for our Amish friends when they visit. I suppose it is because when they come riding through the campground in their carriages and buggies to our site it creates a spectacle and is a “special treat” for all of the other campers who run out to take pictures and get the feel for being in “Amish Country”. I can think of no other reason management doesn’t make us pay for them when they visit.

Bruce
What does "per day" mean? I'm thinking that should include 1 overnight as the Default - essentially a day = 24 hours ?
Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #18

Quote:
What does "per day" mean? I'm thinking that should include 1 overnight as the Default - essentially a day = 24 hours ?
It does give a 24-hour admittance, although I have no idea how anybody would really know how long a visitor stayed unless each visitor had a separate vehicle, because if they have a vehicle, they are also given a placard with dates on it to hang from their mirror, but nobody ever checks those (at my campground, at least, even though they are color-coded. I think it is really an honors system and I have never heard of anybody getting in trouble for having visitors that weren’t paid for.

Bruce
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 AM   #19

many campgrounds and private rv parks have these rules in order to maintain order and not have situations where it becomes a 'free for all' or a 'drivethru' for those not 'paying' to stay or play there...

it may actually be more about the number of VEHICLES than the number of people, as many campgrounds and rv parks have restrictive lanes, paths, and areas for 'parking' vehicles, other than the RVs themselves, while also remembering that large RVs have to have room to come and go and maneuver thru the park.

We're at a private campground now, which has so many 'rules' that it seems the park is very 'negative' from the get go. There's no 'Welcome' signage, as you might assume, but only 'don't do this' and 'don't do that' signage, along with the numerous list of 'you can't do this or else' on the website. It seems they've either had many, many issues in the past, and try to head them off ahead of time, or they've really come from a background of 'remind everyone what NOT to do' before you tell them what they 'can' do!

It also reminds me of a store I visited for the first time a while back, a
'RV AND MOBILEHOME PARTS SUPERSTORE!'.... a brand new opening, too. I relished the idea of seeing what 'things' they had, at a great price of course, for my RV.
Well, I was saddened and surprised after barely entering the store. I was surprised at the prices of anything 'interesting', as they were higher than the hardware store next door, which also probably had much more to offer in the first place, and was saddened at the number of 'Signs' everywhere 'warning' shoppers 'not to do this', and 'not to do that'....like the 'ol 'you break it, you BUY it!' warnings plastered all along the walls and parts bins.
One that really made me laugh, sadly, was at the bin of BREAKERS, for your electrical needs. It read, in BOLD print:
" Do NOT trip the breakers Back and Forth, or you will have to BUY the Breaker! "
and
" Do NOT let children PLAY with these items, or you will have to BUY these items! "
and
" NO RETURNS - you Buy it, you OWN it! "

all these 'rules' before you've even hardly entered the store.... certainly doesn't make for a 'delightful' experience.........crazy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #20

FormerFR, I feel your pain and I hate the "sole discretion" bull ...