RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-09-2020, 11:52 PM   #1

Poor tv reception 2018 32 Cardinal

Have a 32 2018 Cardinal 5th wheel with a 40 Summit TV in the main room. Bought a Visio for the bedroom.
At full hookup sites several locations I get fair reception in the bedroom but crappy fuzzy in the living room. After significant trouble shooting the problem seems to be the connection between the bedroom and the living room. Connected a new high quality cable to the outside connection. Made no improvement. Ran the same cable through a front window n connected direct to the Summit TV n the reception was perfect.
Cant find any access to the line from back to front. The living room TV is behind the outside ref ref ridge/sink slide out n I see no access. Any ideas about trying to troubleshoot connections?
PT Bob
Thompsr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:56 AM   #2

Chances are there is a splitter somewhere between your external hookup and the two TV's. If your stereo is setup to play sound through the TV, chances are good the split is done there in the radio cabinet area.

I've had mixed results. Current RV the wiring works wonderfully and signal is similar strength to both TV's. In Other RV's I've been in or owned, one TV seems to always have a solid connection while the other always was borderline usable.

Usually either a poorly connected cable or a poor quality splitter being used by the manufacture. Occasionally I've read of a feed wire stapled or skinned with nail/staple gun damaging the wire to the point it was troublesome.

First two solutions are easier to identify and solve, Last one (Bad wire in a wall somewhere) usually a little tougher and some just run an extra wire through a window from a splitter outside the camper.

Tags
cardinal, reception, tv reception