Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Portable Generator

Hello, I have a 2018 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer, single a/c unit (13500 btu ) I would like to use the trailer at campgrounds without electric. I'm considering purchasing a portable generator that can run the a/c as well as the hot water heater. The trailer has a 30 amp hookup. Any recommendations on a good reliable model? I've been reading reviews as much as possible but would like input from users. Thanks.
olebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

The list is long. Honda's will probably get the most votes with Champion, Yamaha, etc all running in second place.

Honda's have been around longest so name familiarity will no doubt play a role but they are the most expensive.

I chose a Champion 3500 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter type for about half the cost of a similar sized Honda and couldn't be happier. It's my second Champion, my first being a contractor type which is noisier but still running strong after 15 years.

I prefer to have ONE generator and bought a rear bumper generator mount for my trailer. I don't have to worry about lifting it in or out of truck, just start up, plug in power cord, and that's it. The Champion Inverter type generators are quiet and with it on the back of the trailer the noise under the awning where sitting is far quieter than most would think.

Other option is to buy a pair of smaller units and use a "Parallel Kit" to double their output. Close to the same output as a single 3500 watt unit but lighter if you have to lift to a high pickup bed.

Assess your situation and choose accordingly. Like I said, I chose a single Champion because I didn't want to pay twice the price for a name with same performance (based on my experience with the Champion I purchased before).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Second vote for the Champion. Excellent generator without the high price.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #4

I'm in agreement with what has been posted above. Had a Champion contractor grade genny I used at race tracks and at home when the need arose and it was a great and reliable piece of equipment. Sold it after 5 years for $100 less than what I had in it because I had mentioned to him I was going to upgrade to an quieter inverter Genny and when he showed interest, I went over, put new gas in it and started it on the second pull.

The Genny I bought to replace it is a Predator sold at Harbor Freight. About the same power, electric start, just as quiet as the Honda's but about half the price.

So the question is "will it last"? I'm very good about taking good care of my stuff, running them monthly, doing oil changes on time, running them out of gas at the end of the year and then adding a little fresh with STABIL in it for the winter. So we'll see.

If it fails me, I'd likely buy the Champion as a replacement due to it's lower cost than the Honda's and Yamaha's and my past experience with the contractor grade genny being a well built, solid piece of equipment.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebull View Post
Hello, I have a 2018 Coachmen Catalina travel trailer, single a/c unit (13500 btu ) I would like to use the trailer at campgrounds without electric. I'm considering purchasing a portable generator that can run the a/c as well as the hot water heater. The trailer has a 30 amp hookup. Any recommendations on a good reliable model? I've been reading reviews as much as possible but would like input from users. Thanks.
I cant comment on the generators, but you may want to re-think running your water heater on the generator. those things use quite a bit of electricity. you can get by with propane, it might be more economical and lighter load on your genny. if you are using both gas and electric, then carry on!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

If you run your water heater on propane, you can run your camper AC with a Westinghouse 2500W which is small and light.
I have a Champion 3100W and it runs great but is big and I always ask someone to help me load it in the truck bed (I have a bad back)....
Just sharing for weight and size is something people don't think too much before buying but is something you will have to deal all the time you need to move/do maintenance...

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

I wouldn't necessarily even jump into anything quite yet.... you don't know what you don't know until you know it...meaning that your camping style and experiences might actually prove different than the rest of us.

I had the same thoughts when we purchased our first RV, a great slightly used 2013 Blackwood bunkhouse fifth-wheel. I immediately thought that I 'must' have a generator since it did not come with one. And, since even one Honda Eu2000i would not be enough to power BOTH of my roof air conditioners, and other things, all at the same time, I also purchased the 'companion' Eu2000i with 30amp outlet, and with a parallel hookup wiring kit.
I'm sure they would work fine, and did in my test runs, but we actually NEVER ONCE actually used them, in the two months we owned the fifth-wheel, and we were living full time in it. I guess we also never went to an 'off-grid' campground!

The reality is that a small simple inverter style generator will work fine for you. Keep it simple, small, and light, and don't necessarily spend the high money on the Honda brand, just because others might have it. Some generators might be a third of the price. You may also find that while you 'fear' you'll need the air conditioner, it might not actually be that big of a deal if you don't. Fans can be a very welcomed addition to your stock, and a small power inverter can easily power them from your onboard batteries.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #8

We have 2 of the Honda’s EU2000 & 2000I companion

They’re quiet, and I can lift them by myself, one at a time, of course.
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
I'm in agreement with what has been posted above. Had a Champion contractor grade genny I used at race tracks and at home when the need arose and it was a great and reliable piece of equipment. Sold it after 5 years for $100 less than what I had in it because I had mentioned to him I was going to upgrade to an quieter inverter Genny and when he showed interest, I went over, put new gas in it and started it on the second pull.

The Genny I bought to replace it is a Predator sold at Harbor Freight. About the same power, electric start, just as quiet as the Honda's but about half the price.

So the question is "will it last"? I'm very good about taking good care of my stuff, running them monthly, doing oil changes on time, running them out of gas at the end of the year and then adding a little fresh with STABIL in it for the winter. So we'll see.

If it fails me, I'd likely buy the Champion as a replacement due to it's lower cost than the Honda's and Yamaha's and my past experience with the contractor grade genny being a well built, solid piece of equipment.
Great video!
Teresa CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #10

I agree with Isledog that you should use your water heater (and fridge) on propane while you're not hooked up. It takes very little propane and will run off the batteries without much draw.

As far as generators go, here are my thoughts:

1. Look at what you will truly use it for. Will you run the AC all the time or will this be a convenience and a big "maybe"?
2. Know that a 3500 or 2000w rating is peak. Look at the continuous watts and divide it by 120 to get the actual rated amps it can sustain to put out.
3. Always consider weight. As others said, can you lift a big one in the bed of the truck or will 2 smaller ones be easier.

Finally, I purchased a WEN 56200i purely for being able to recharge my batteries and watch TV. My research showed that WEN is the same maker of the Predators that Harbor Freight sells and both brands have very high reviews. My choice of WEN over Predator was that they have better parts support within the US.

I got mine on sale for $399.99 to my front door. If i want to add a 2nd one and the parallel kit, I will still be under the cost of 1 Honda.

Here's a link to the one I purchased:
WEN 56200i 2000 Watt Inverter Generator,

And here's their 3100 watt version:
WEN 56310i-RV Super Quiet 3100-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator