Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Portable ice makers

I’ve searched the site to see if there was any discussion about ice makers with no success. I’m sure I could have missed one if so Id appreciate a pointer.

We would really like to add a portable ice maker to our small TT and see a number of them out there. Igloo has always been a good brand for us but I read a review of their 26 lb ice maker and they gave it a scathing review.

We are looking for something that is dependable and will last. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance Ken
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
D W

Never had the notion to buy one myself, but I know of other that have bought these things. Bottom line: None of them were satisfied with them. Complaints were failed compressors, nuisance leaks and if the ice wasn't removed right after a cycle they would wind up with "icebergs" instead of cubes.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFitz View Post
I’ve searched the site to see if there was any discussion about ice makers with no success. I’m sure I could have missed one if so Id appreciate a pointer.

We would really like to add a portable ice maker to our small TT and see a number of them out there. Igloo has always been a good brand for us but I read a review of their 26 lb ice maker and they gave it a scathing review.

We are looking for something that is dependable and will last. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance Ken

We have the Igloo model #ICE102ST (not sure of # of lbs). We purchased ours at Sams Club for $99. We did have to return the first one because it started to act erratically when the mechanical workings would stop working for no reason. We've had the second one now for over 3 years & its worked flawlessly. When we turn it on, we let the first 2 batches drop back into the water until the machine gets cold enough to make full sized cubes. After that,
it makes about 9 large cubes every 13 minutes. We make a gallon freezer bag full that we keep in the freezer then shut it off, empty it and let it dry out. Otherwise, the water will go stagnet & smell between uses. It works for us & beats trying to keep trays in the freezer (which can take forever in a RV fridge). Good luck in your search.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

We have a Magic Chef countertop ice maker. Got it more than 2 years ago from Home Depot for $100. Very happy with it so far. Is it better than the ice maker at home, No. But it gets the job done and is better than trying to make ice in trays in the freezer. Plug it in right after the slides go out and unplug it right before we pack up and we have ice whenever we need it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Failure is my business

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpentow...&wl13=&veh=sem

We've had one of these for probably 6 years now. The plastic mechanism that attaches the dump tray to the motor failed after about 2 years but I was able to remake the piece with a stainless bolt that I rifle bored and slotted and it's been perfect since. Runs constantly when we're camping.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #6

Been using them for about 5 years. Love the idea of having ice on demand. Be aware though it is soft ice. It will need to be hardened in a real freezer for a couple hours. Thats not a problem for us as ours sits outside on top of our outside refer. All the rangers in the park know there is free ice when they need it. Best place to look at lots of choices is Compactappliances.com.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Love our $99 Igloo. No problems in nearly a year.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
2017 Windjammer 3029w

I have a residential refrigerator with ice maker in it. Love it, but woulsd love to get an Opal Iice Maker for Sonic style ice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751KDVTP..._yoDgAbPK0DYA1
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #9

We have a Windchaser brand we bought from Camping World several years ago. It works okay, but as rracer said, it is best to let the first couple batches drop into the water to chill it before putting the basket in to catch the ice. The ice it makes is not frozen hard, so we empty the basket into a container an put it in the freezer for a few hours to firm it up. Last year we bought a good cooler and now rarely use the icemaker. In my opinion, it may be better to spend your money on a quality cooler and fill it with ice before you leave. Now of you are wanting to make margaritas in the blender, this ice is perfect straight out of the machine.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We have a RCA from Walmart. Was $89.00 on sale canadian dollars no less. The same unit is imported and branded Dometic for $199.00, they are also Majic Chef and Igloo.

It works well, makes ice, cools my diet Coke just fine. Had it for 5 years now! Just take it in the house in the winter.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

I've been using an Emerson (a typical made in China) portable for long weekends since 2010. I was having trouble walking and got it to keep the coolers full without trekking down to the store. It easily keeps up with 2 'party' size coolers over a long 4th of July weekend with temps in the 90's. It's one more thing to set up and tear down but it does the job.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

I got one from Sam's for $69.99 and if you have the right coupon you can get one from Kohl's for the same price.
I no longer carry ice chests. I just plug it in when I stop and it more then keeps up. In the morning I fill the ice container in the freezer and off we go.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Most of the small portable ones ($99-$150) are all made by one or two companies and just rebranded by multiple companies. ( very common today). They do a good job making ice for drinks , but in most cases will not work to replenish the ice in a large cooler unless it is run continuously. We run ours for 4-5 hours put the ice in ziploc bags and store in the freezer. Be aware that you need to continually remove the ice as it will either remelt or fill the storage bin and shut the unit off. If your expectations are right they are very nice. If you expect it to keep you from buying ice for a large cooler, you will be disappointed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U View Post
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpentow...&wl13=&veh=sem

We've had one of these for probably 6 years now. The plastic mechanism that attaches the dump tray to the motor failed after about 2 years but I was able to remake the piece with a stainless bolt that I rifle bored and slotted and it's been perfect since. Runs constantly when we're camping.
We've had a Sunpentown for 5 years. We use it at our summer cottage and take it with us on longer camping trips.

I haven't kept tracked, but it has paid for itself many times over. The key to longetivity is to get them drained completely before storing.

When we're camping and it plops out another batch I tell the sweet wife: "sounds like $"
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #15

We got ours at Camping World about 6 years ago (can't remember the brand name) it works ok with no failures.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #16
NH Maple Maker

We have an Emerson and have been using it for 2 years with no problems. It makes enough ice to keep my beer cooler cold and still have some for drinks. You do have to keep the basket emptied and add water as needed to keep it from shutting down. I don't mind doing that because I hate paying for frozen water. I haven't bought a bag of ice in 2 years.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #17
Wrench Turnin Fool

We bought one last summer for our lake house, it's great. Now we have two since the Arctic Wolf came with another one. I'm considering bringing both with us this summer 😀
I don't know how we got by without one before

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #18

DW and I got one for Christmas from the kids 3 years ago. It's an Igloo they bought at Sam's club for $199.00. We thanked them all very much, then I stuck it in a cabinet in the garage and figured we'd probably never use it. Welllll, about a month later, during a blizzard, the ice maker in our house fridge quit. We both enjoy our cocktails with lots of ice, and since we were'nt going anywhere because of the blizzard, we broke out the Igloo and the rest is history!
Best little icemaker i've ever seen. It chugs away all day making ice, and what we don't use, DW puts in a pitcher in the freezer. It stays in our 5er all summer, and I store it in our heated garage in the winter. No more $4.00 bags of ice from the campground store!
Rugman1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #19

We have had 2 both work very well! They Make Ice,they Don't store Ice! We keep ours Inside for 2 reasons,they Reproduce Ice better if inside a Air Conditioned Unit,if they are Out of Sight the chances of a "Drinking Neighbor" using All our Ice,since it is FREE and grows on Trees,is less likely! Youroo!!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 AM   #20
World Wide Wanderer

I bought mine from Aldi's for ~$70. It is whatever their house electronic/electrical branded stuff is. It looks just like the Emerson unit. We have used it for close to a season and have had no problems, wouldn't be without it. I think a lot of the reviews are by people that expect it to be like a regular house ice maker. It isn't. As long as you accept it's limitations it is fine and does a good job. We bought ours after going through 3 bags of ice in a week at one campground. Love having my freezer space back!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote