Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Potable Water Security II

A thread back many months had brought this subject up, "Locking Cap for Water". It was mostly blown off as paranoid, don't worry. I do think we need to be concerned. My plumbing and well experience has witnessed vermin, snakes, frogs, etc, floating about in state of decomposition in well water. Mostly per unsecured well caps. Home owners had no clue other than foul smell after vacation. Not that these critters could make their way into our tank, but since like the well water the consumer has no visual inspection of tank or well conditions. This is dangerous. Things can drop into tank and never be seen again. Things during manufacturing or just routine use. Worse yet a mischievous prankster or worse a psychopath mentality that would love to silently cause harm.

I don't know what to do about it? Still thinking on the subject. I would like to use a inspection fiber optic camera and have lock or detection system such as in old days candle wax. Maybe black electrician tape strategy. I just know to many stories of deviant behavior. It is a bigger danger nowadays. Boondockers are vulnerable.

Just this last week had some youth put Axe deodorant in a small fire they built next to our solitary campsite late at night. They used high powered flashlights to make us nervous, then the explosion. Afterwards, no car, no kids, nothing. We had to piece it all together the next day.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

I suppose you don't know that 95% of the underground pipelines 2 years and older are leaking gas, diesel, natural gas or crude oil into the ground water across North America?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

I just fill it up, cap it and move one. If there is some left over at the end of a trip I drain it. My filler is behind a locked storage door so no worries. Even on my old TT were it was out in the open I never worried about it.

In my opinion you are reading pretty far into a almost non-existant problem but to each their own. If you feel you need to then go on ahead. But if you are at it how are you going to lock/seal up the fresh water tanks vents, someone could put something down or in those as well?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
Multi-Slacker

All good reasons to drink bottled water and only use tank water for the bathroom and dishwashing and clothes washing if you have that stuff.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #5

I just saw "Less Junk More Journey" latest video. Yup, they have a 7 gallon Walmart container for drinking water. Refill from the RO machine. They want better control of their drinking water quality.

I did see Amazon has a mod for typical travel trailer fresh water fill. It was cutting the side wall and mounting a recessed spout. The refill was secured by locking door. Looks good, but a bit of a project.

I can imagine boon docking where I experienced the blowing up the spray can in fire late at night. These kids wouldn't hesitate to drop a snake down the fill hole and have an even better laugh. Boon docking where no one is around to catch their deviant behavior. I've read where some video record the campsite for security info.

Around here we had a disgruntled cook relieve himself in popular eating franchise chili. He hated the management and caused an outbreak of food poisoning. A fast food place had a employee contaminate state trooper burger at the drive up. I once found a mouse in a sealed soft drink bottle. Food and water safety is a growing concern. Modern mindset of getting even is growing in popularity.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Best easy solution- The locking hatch is not that difficult to install. The "Gravity Water Inlet Hatch" is readily available $25 at Amazon for example. Google the same for videos for install. The rectangle hatch can replace the round metal hatch so popular on travel trailers. This would require jig saw cutting.

This is a locking hatch to safe guard potable water tank supply. This is not for the city water pressure hookup. The pressure hookup would not concern me for vandal damage. Neither the vent on top of roof.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Broken Toe

If you waste valuable mental energy worrying that you need a locking water fill cap because someone might poison your campers FW tank, I'd point out that you probably have a greater chance of having the International Space Station de-orbit and crash on you, but I don't want to make you worry about that.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #8

I always thought it was strange that there is a lock on the outside shower but not the fresh water fill.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

We use bottled water for drinking and cooking, and water tank for showers/pottie when not hooked to water supply. Thats our choice.
But to start worrying about locking each and every item that can be accesed?
What next, lock the sewer connector, the bumper caps on trailers. If using regular cheap blade type locks that come on most compartments, well, a 25 cent flat blade screwdriver will defeat one in 10 seconds.
Do you pick up and store away every item left outside your rig when you take off for a few hours? Grills, chairs, hoses, electric cords, toys, lock the bikes up, roll up the outside carpet, jack the rig up and remove the wheels/tires so your rig will still be there when you return?
Gosh, we are becoming a paranoid bunch!!!
Grumpy
(20,000 miles, 4 1/2 months of camping this year alone, and nothing missing/taken/messed with/or damaged by outside party)

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #10

Tim, really? Although I won't use the term poison as in a terrorist attack, I am amply concerned of having unsecured fresh potable water fill. My cap is about the right height for some kid to relieve himself for a hoot. Boondockers are vulnerable for battery rip off, graffi, keying, and theft. How many stories of campers losing their generator? Quite a few and battery theft is much higher that that.

Some one that doesn't like where you camp, doesn't like your wealth, or just looking to dis someone with ability to recreation. My Dad once parked in commercial parking lot with permission from store owner. A gas station abutted the parking lot. Next morning we made it about a mile when trailer tire went flat with nail. We had to go back to that station for expensive repair. This was in Canada heading to Alaska. I've heard of this often with RV people who mostly caulk it up to coincidence. Most everyone that has been doing this for years have stories of theft, damage, or fear. I've been camping for decades and belief the old days of northern U.S. camping respect for property, gone. As you know certain parts of country are dangerous.

My friend and I was using his camper for the EAA air show in Oshkosh. He left his generator running late at night, when it suddenly died. He had to take it to a shop for repair as a disgruntled tent camper looks to have dumped his urine or beer in the fuel tank.

Once had a weird neighbor that was way to friendly to our two very young daughters. I caught him attempting to lure them into his tent without our knowing. All of my warning signs were maxed, but my wife thought the guy was nice. I do believe I adverted harm to the kids that day. After explaining some to the wife she felt the same. People, you don't need to trust or risk. Be friendly, but attempt to minimize risk is always a good thing. Heck, people suffered gasoline contamination and engine damage from vandals do you think your water supply is always safe?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #11

never use city water connection for drinking water. we always use bottle water to cook and brush our teeth.
haven't had an issue in the past 4 trailers we owned.
I have a new toy hauler and would be more concerned about someone messing with the 30 gallon gas tank which does not have a locking gas cap.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #12

I hated having to get the key to use the outside shower, which also houses the water fill port, so I replaced the 751 keyed lock cylinder with a 1/4 turn thumb lock. Geez ... now I feel unsafe

Everyone* who has a camper has at least 1 of those keys laying around and as someone else said, a small blade screwdriver (or pocket knife, or my hand) could open the water hatch door on my camper ... it's just flimsy plastic.

* I'm sure there are people who don't have the 751 key but 5 of the last 5 campers we've owned had them and the 4 out of 4 my brother's had them and the several other friends we know have them. Heck ... one camping day in a county (?) campground in Denver, I looked down and picked up a set of keys (not mine) that all of them fit our camper ... front door and all!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

on our 2009 BH we went to Lowes and purchased several cabinet lock sets all keyed the same. the dealership tried their massive key assortment to get the wheel lock lug nut out during MVI and had none that matched. I somewhat felt safer following that. my command center was behind a locked hatch door which was better than having it outside where people could tamper with stuff.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

WOW! If you are so worried about theses things, maybe you should give up camping? As I told a friend of ours who has just started camping, If you worry about all of these petty little things, you won't be able to enjoy the trip/yourself.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #15

We stopped using our fresh water tank as that over 15 years ago. We only use it for washing hands, flushing toilets and washing dishes. We have always had the blue jugs with us for drinking water since our first camper. Just habit now and wouldnt change.

I know our one trailer had a filter, but was just a pain in the ass to us since it would sometimes leak some, and then when winterizing had to empty it.

Its all personal choice, but it also saves me time sanitizing a fresh water tank to. Most campsites we ever visit you can just refill the jugs at potable stations, and we camp a month straight at times. Sure it can be a hassle I guess, but doesnt bother us
Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #16
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
Tim, really? Although I won't use the term poison as in a terrorist attack, I am amply concerned of having unsecured fresh potable water fill. My cap is about the right height for some kid to relieve himself for a hoot. Boondockers are vulnerable for battery rip off, graffi, keying, and theft. How many stories of campers losing their generator? Quite a few and battery theft is much higher that that.

Some one that doesn't like where you camp, doesn't like your wealth, or just looking to dis someone with ability to recreation. My Dad once parked in commercial parking lot with permission from store owner. A gas station abutted the parking lot. Next morning we made it about a mile when trailer tire went flat with nail. We had to go back to that station for expensive repair. This was in Canada heading to Alaska. I've heard of this often with RV people who mostly caulk it up to coincidence. Most everyone that has been doing this for years have stories of theft, damage, or fear. I've been camping for decades and belief the old days of northern U.S. camping respect for property, gone. As you know certain parts of country are dangerous.

My friend and I was using his camper for the EAA air show in Oshkosh. He left his generator running late at night, when it suddenly died. He had to take it to a shop for repair as a disgruntled tent camper looks to have dumped his urine or beer in the fuel tank.

Once had a weird neighbor that was way to friendly to our two very young daughters. I caught him attempting to lure them into his tent without our knowing. All of my warning signs were maxed, but my wife thought the guy was nice. I do believe I adverted harm to the kids that day. After explaining some to the wife she felt the same. People, you don't need to trust or risk. Be friendly, but attempt to minimize risk is always a good thing. Heck, people suffered gasoline contamination and engine damage from vandals do you think your water supply is always safe?
I fail to see how a locking water fill cap will help in any of those situations, except one.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #17

Tim, It proves a point that bad things happen by people that do not have your best interest and in fact are o.k. harming you. The water supply is just one more avenue they could use. Locking is better then what I have now which is a screw cap with a large heading "Fresh Water Connection".

I use the bottled water solution in winter since all water lines and water pump drained. I'm thinking more to the posted the solution for full time for drinking water. It makes good coffee. I have two three gallon bottles. One in the pickup.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
Tim, It proves a point that bad things happen by people that do not have your best interest and in fact are o.k. harming you. The water supply is just one more avenue they could use. Locking is better then what I have now which is a screw cap with a large heading "Fresh Water Connection".

I use the bottled water solution in winter since all water lines and water pump drained. I'm thinking more to the posted the solution for full time for drinking water. It makes good coffee. I have two three gallon bottles. One in the pickup.
How do you know someone won't contaminate the water source used to fill your now locked fresh water fill?

If you are camping at places where generators and batteries get stolen or kids are whizzing in fresh water fill ports, it's time to move elsewhere.

If someone wants to do harm to your property, locked fill ports won't stop them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #19

Simple solution, swap the labels on your fresh water and black water flush inlets.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #20

I use bottled water to drink and to cook with, everything thing I have good insurance for. Things you can control worry about and those you can’t don’t worry about. That’s my motto
Closed Thread

Tags
water